I can't seem to relax

Need help with the files, here's the place to ask your questions.

Moderator: EMG

I can't seem to relax

Postby Ivanthecat » October 29th, 2006, 9:54 pm

Herro all.

When I get into a trance, I just can't seen to relax my calves, thighs, and shoulders. They always seem to twitch.

I have a mild form of ADD. Maybe I should try them with pills?
Ivanthecat

Postby willingsub » October 30th, 2006, 2:50 am

I'm not sure what kind of pills you are referring to, but I wouldn't recommend the combination of hypnosis with any substance that alters your state of mind (things like hallucinogenics, but also simple relaxants) to anyone. And even if someone would deliberately decide to experiment, at least do it when experienced in both using the substance and being under hypnosis separately.

Something else you may do that might sounds ridiculously simple: don't worry about relaxing your calves, thighs and shoulders. They're probably twitching because you're hyperfocused on the 'task' of relaxing them; the harder you try, the harder you fail. It's like desparately trying not to think of a pink rhino wearing a tutu.

Most of EMG's files have an induction asking you to relax bodyparts, that may make it impossible for you not to worry about relaxing your body. You might want to try a different induction, one that doesn't ask you to focus on your body, like the confusion induction.
willingsub
Regular
Regular

Postby everworlder » October 30th, 2006, 8:53 am

He is talking about Ritalin or something like that. His medication for ADD.
everworlder
Regular
Regular

Postby willingsub » October 30th, 2006, 12:04 pm

everworlder wrote:He is talking about Ritalin or something like that. His medication for ADD.

Possible. But I don't assume that, because Ritalin is a kind of medication which is usually taken in a daily routine (in which case there would be no question of having tried hypnosis without pills in the first place), not now and again when the need strikes. This is because Ritalin has a kind of 'backlash': typically, when the effect wears off, the ADD symptoms return and are experienced as just as bad or even worse than before.

Anyway, Ritalin is also a substance that alters ones state of mind. If used on a daily basis, I don't see much danger in using hypnosis while still taking it, because the effect of Ritalin has become your 'normal' state of mind. If taking Ritalin only occasionally for whatever reason, I would recommend being very careful combining Ritalin and hypnosis. Just the fact that it is a prescribed drug doesn't mean it's not mind altering, and also doesn't mean it won't have adverse effect on trance and the way suggestions effect the mind.
willingsub
Regular
Regular

Postby Launch » October 31st, 2006, 2:19 pm

edit
Last edited by Launch on November 7th, 2007, 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Launch
Regular
Regular

Postby willingsub » November 1st, 2006, 3:15 am

Launch wrote:I never taught of this before, but would a mild hallucinogen not add to the visual effects of a file, and in some cases remain after its effects had worn.

It certainly might. And I would be lying if I said the thought of using something like that (easily obtained where I live) had never occurred to me. Of course it might also just fry your brain. It's using one method of influencing the mind without knowing 100% just how it affects you, then taking something else influencing the brain without knowing just what all the noticable and unnoticable effects are, and then combining the two without even having a clear idea how the combination will affect the way each one works. For me, that crosses a line between risk-aware experiments and recklessness. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. Of course, if someone aware of the risks and unknowns would decide to try this anyway, that is their choice. I may warn, but I won't judge.

Logic would suggest that it would be much easier to visualize under the influence of one, (a mild one of course).

When messing with the mind, I wouldn't put too much faith in logic. Your theory sound very plausible. But I think it's just as possible that all the pink blobs you see floating around the room may seriously hinder your visualization of the images suggested by the hypnosis. And all this may be very different from one hallucinogen to another, and from one person to another.
willingsub
Regular
Regular

Postby Supreme » November 1st, 2006, 11:44 am

hmm... im confused now, is it better to listen to words or not thinking ANYTHING? which way is more effective?
Supreme
Regular
Regular

Postby willingsub » November 1st, 2006, 3:45 pm

Supreme wrote:hmm... im confused now, is it better to listen to words or not thinking ANYTHING? which way is more effective?

The lame answer: your mileage may vary.

The not so lame answer is much the same. Different things work for different people. This is one of the reasons there are completely different kinds of inductions. (or even hypnosis without induction). For me it works best to rather passively experience a file: paying moderate attention to the words, but not straining to visualize. Others have the best results when consciously repeating the words or consciously visualizing suggestions. And others again have the best results when not concentrating at all, not paying attention at all, but just drifting and allowing the words to seep in on their own. I believe loss of time or missing pieces of a file are regarded as a sign of deeper trance (I have sometimes experienced). Then again, a light trance may work very adequately for some people to get suggetions to work on the subconscious mind.

By the way: if you go for the 'not thinking approach': you may try to consider your thoughts as unimportant (like clouds that go by, present but unimportant, nothing to hold on to) instead of trying to think about nothing.

The best advise I personally can give about this issue: don't worry about it too much. That concern is far more likely to mess with your experience than a deeper/lighter or more/less attentive trance is. Just accept whatever happens. That may bring you the best results.

(disclaimer: of course this is also just my experience. YMMV yet again...)
willingsub
Regular
Regular

Return to Help with Files