Request for Recommendations: Multi-track Recording

Need help with the files, here's the place to ask your questions.

Moderator: EMG

Postby MN_FriendlyGuy » November 9th, 2006, 3:23 pm

Your recommendations, please!

I've got scripts ready to be recorded as an MP3 - my first attempt.

The only hurdle is finding a computer application (Win XP) that allows me to first record the voice portion - and then allows me to add other tracks (binaural wav).

What works for you?
MN_FriendlyGuy
Guru
Guru

Re: Request for Recommendations: Multi-track Recording

Postby sarnoga » November 10th, 2006, 7:03 am

MN_FriendlyGuy wrote:Your recommendations, please!

I've got scripts ready to be recorded as an MP3 - my first attempt.

The only hurdle is finding a computer application (Win XP) that allows me to first record the voice portion - and then allows me to add other tracks (binaural wav).

What works for you?

Audacity works well for combining multiple tracks. However, the longer the file the slower it works.

It also allows you to record and is free.

I would also like to suggest that you upload one file with just the voice track and once you add the binaural track upload that as a binaural of the first file.
sarnoga
Guru
Guru

Postby Blink » November 10th, 2006, 9:45 am

I second Sarnoga's recommendation.

Audacity is simple enough that I was able to generate acceptable results the same day I installed the software. I've been getting better with practice and experimentation and the excellent advice I've gotten from others on this site (Sarnoga being foremost among them).

The software is fully-featured and free. You can't beat free. If you try it and hate it, you can dump it and you're only out the bandwidth and time. So far, the only limit on the quality of the work I've been generating with it has been my skill level.

...And my busy schedule and innate laziness.

-- Blink
Blink
Guru
Guru

Postby boomsmee » November 10th, 2006, 10:09 pm

I also recommend Audacity if your looking for something that works, and is free. If you want to do professional level recording, there is a program called Protools. (and its designed to be used with professional quality sound hardware, and it is not cheap) However Protools is the industry standard, but is a bit tougher to learn than than audacity. If you have a lot of money to burn, or want to go into professional recording, go with Protools. Otherwise go with audacity.
boomsmee
Mentor
Mentor

Postby MN_FriendlyGuy » November 11th, 2006, 1:47 pm

Thank you very much! Based on your recommendation (Unanimous from 3 of you!), I successfully downloaded Audacity today.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
MN_FriendlyGuy
Guru
Guru

Postby Blink » November 11th, 2006, 4:19 pm

:D

Now you have to try it out for a while and report back whether we steered you wrong. There's always the chance that none of us know what we're talking about. This is the Internet, after all.

-- Blink

All the inventions of the 20th century were inspired by complaining and driven into being by the fight for laziness. I'm just a soldier in the war on complacent activity.
Blink
Guru
Guru

Postby jnorcros » November 13th, 2006, 7:00 pm

If you are willing to spend around $100, you may want to look at Subliminal Recording System 7.0 The program allows for multi track recording, creation of sublimial and binaural files, as well as supporting multiple file formats and transcoding between the formats.

The website is http://SubliminalRecorder.com
Guess you can't figure out who you are until you accept who you might be!..... Luke in "Zerophilia" (Director's Cut)
jnorcros

Postby MN_FriendlyGuy » November 14th, 2006, 8:19 am

jnorcros wrote:If you are willing to spend around $100, you may want to look at Subliminal Recording System 7.0 The program allows for multi track recording, creation of sublimial and binaural files, as well as supporting multiple file formats and transcoding between the formats.

The website is http://SubliminalRecorder.com
Thanks for the recommendation. I genuinely appreciate the hyperlink you shared.

Have you used the program? Do subliminal messages work for you? My experience with them has yielded minimal results. This makes me hesitant about buying a subliminal recorder.
MN_FriendlyGuy
Guru
Guru

Postby Shademaster2 » November 14th, 2006, 7:28 pm

If you are willing to spend money, my preferred program for making files is the Neuro-Programmer. I normally use Audacity to record the original voice, and then use the neuro-programmer to create CDs.

Rob
Shademaster2

Link to Neuro-Programmer

Postby MN_FriendlyGuy » November 15th, 2006, 9:11 am

Shademaster2 wrote:If you are willing to spend money, my preferred program for making files is the Neuro-Programmer. I normally use Audacity to record the original voice, and then use the neuro-programmer to create CDs.

Rob

Thank you, Rob. It was a pleaure to find a free trial of the application available for download (try & buy)
Cost for the application is listed as $45. I'm eager to see how it handles the snippets I've already recorded with Audacity.

To all of you who've shared your experience (Shademaster, jnorcros, Blink, boomsmee & sarnoga), you have my thanks and gratitude.
MN_FriendlyGuy
Guru
Guru

Postby ShadowSabre » November 15th, 2006, 3:49 pm

I also use Audacity when editing/subliminalizing/binarualing files, although I don't record my own. If you need any help on using it, just PM me; I usually check it about once a week.
ShadowSabre
Mentor
Mentor

Postby jnorcros » November 15th, 2006, 9:58 pm

I was impressed enough with the capabilities of the program that I bought it a few weeks ago but my work schedule has left little time to do anything other than read the manual. I am really more interested in creating binaural files and the program has a built in brain wave generator.

Janice Marie
Guess you can't figure out who you are until you accept who you might be!..... Luke in "Zerophilia" (Director's Cut)
jnorcros

Postby MN_FriendlyGuy » December 12th, 2006, 6:46 pm

Blink wrote:
Now you have to try it out for a while and report back whether we steered you wrong. There's always the chance that none of us know what we're talking about. This is the Internet, after all.

I've posted my first MP3 here on WMM. It's labeled "MN_FriendlyGuy_Short_Induction"

Thank you again for steering me in the right direction.
MN_FriendlyGuy
Guru
Guru

Postby ShadowSabre » December 12th, 2006, 10:37 pm

It's quite good. *thumbs up* I like your voice, too.
ShadowSabre
Mentor
Mentor

Audacity and VST

Postby diaperchaps » December 13th, 2006, 8:16 am

Something about Audacity that is overlooked is the VST enabler. I am a professional musician and use VST (virtual studio technology) A LOT! VST is a format of plugin in the form of a .dll file. There are well over a thousand FREE professional quality VST FX that can be downloaded ranging from simple delays and panning FX, to noise gates and 30 band graphic EQs and intense reverbs (of note Ambience is an amazing reverb). A resource to learn more about VST is http://www.kvraudio.com . Just to give a headsup, VSTs come in a variety of flavours. VSTi's are Software synthesizers, which are really not pertinent to Audacity. VST Hosts are (like Audacity) programs that can 'host' VST plugins. What you will probably be most interested in is VST FX (effects).
diaperchaps

Return to Help with Files