Listening to files while a playing video game?

Need help with the files, here's the place to ask your questions.

Moderator: EMG

Listening to files while a playing video game?

Postby deathking0192 » August 9th, 2007, 10:10 pm

Hi all me again, listen just a quick Q/A but would listening to the files while playing a video game work? I mean from what i learned of what trances r so far, well my idea of them atleast, is that they are just points where your extremly focused, relaxed and tune out all other things, and that u don't have to neccesicarily be in a sleep like state, so what if u listen to a file while playing a video game, cause i tried it once while playing World of Warcraft (which is an AWESOME game!!! :D ) it seemed to have worked a little bit. Any answers would be excellent.
deathking0192

hmmm

Postby Younghypnomaster » August 9th, 2007, 11:08 pm

I'd say depends on the file.. probably on the subliminal files..
Younghypnomaster

Postby cardigan » August 10th, 2007, 6:13 am

Any state that you can go in, where your normal conscious is disabled, so that your unconscious surfaces instead will be beneficial for hypnosis. So if your conscious mind is so absorbed with the game, that it can handle no other things at the same time, then listening to a file in the background would theoretically make the file go to your subconscious mind - bypassing your conscious mind. What you want to do always in hypnosis is to bypass the conscious mind.

But I recommend real hypnosis first and foremost!
Certified hypnotist C.I., C.H.
http://milnet.dk
cardigan
Guru
Guru

Postby deathking0192 » August 11th, 2007, 2:23 pm

So it could work, good so that means that reading a book while listening might work as well, right? cause i usually relax more after reading a good book.
deathking0192

Postby cardigan » August 12th, 2007, 1:10 am

Yes, but you might find that your attention is being split by what you are reading and the file that is playing in the background. You need to play the file so low, that it is only hardly audible, but I do not guarantee any results. I'd recommend a good ol' normal induction any day :-)
Certified hypnotist C.I., C.H.
http://milnet.dk
cardigan
Guru
Guru

Postby deathking0192 » August 13th, 2007, 9:50 pm

Well i must be lucky or something then, cause i just so happens that i have very very good, hearing and can hear things most ppl can't or before most ppl do hear them :D
deathking0192

Postby lazzyz » November 2nd, 2007, 8:11 pm

Although I'm not particularly well versed in hypnotic theory I'd imagine that while many states are similar to being in a trance as it is meant here, but it seems to me that if playing a video games focuses you or reading a book relaxes you these would be a good way to prepare for the chance but even if you concious mind is absorbed it still has a good amount of control and filtering ability. Or even it might true that your brain has only so much ability to focus such that the two parts of the mind would tend to conflict. Overall it seems there would be no harm in trying it but a specific induction designed for that situation might be more effect than any other.
lazzyz

Postby whatsername100 » November 25th, 2007, 4:06 pm

It depends on the game more than the file, in my opinion. For example, Atari 2600 games. They don't give you much to think about beyond a single, continuous, usually non-ending objective [Unless you lose, of course]. I know that whenever I play those really old games, I lose sight and thought of everything else. I would say that the more simplistic the game, the easier it is to use in hypnosis. And if I might make a game suggestion, the great vieo game classic, Pong. :)
whatsername100
Regular
Regular

Postby deathking019 » November 27th, 2007, 3:05 pm

wow.......i forgot that this post still existed...... :lol:
deathking019

Postby Russian446 » November 27th, 2007, 10:29 pm

well, i'd suggest playing a game like, for instance, Halo 1 for the PC or Halo 2 for the PC, and listen to the audio file while playing. Be sure to lower all the in-game audio to zero, so that only the file remains playing. Since the Single-Player of the Halo series is basically run, gun, and complete objectives, you can play and force your conscious mind to focus on the elimination of the enemy. however, i'd also suggest that you play the game on the easiest difficulty, and that you've played and beat the game quite a few times before. if it's easy, you can breeze through unopposed and hypothetically, enter a semi-unconscious state. It essentially accomplishes the job of the intro, sinking you down to such a state. First-Person shooters, only in my opinion and trials, are generally better to do it in (just watch out for the Flood or Terrorists!) The thing is, you gotta fight the AI, not play multiplayer. Human opponents require much more concentration, cooperation, and focus on multiple aspects (also stress, if one guy keeps ending you over and over again ;)), if you're playing a team-based game. Try something like Half-Life, Halo, Call of Duty/Medal of Honor or any of that. Make sure you've played it before and that nothing in the game can really surprise you.

If you're a guy, or a girl gamer, it's easy to fall into a state of inattentiveness to all around you except the game if it's an FPS because it's something you like to do and is familiar.

Hope my input helps!

Everyone's favorite 1940s Fighter for the People (I made a hidden Call of Duty reference! Ha ha!),
Russian446
Russian446

Postby mokillo » December 31st, 2007, 6:46 pm

I add a suggestion : NEVER try doing this while playing CounterStrike. Its run'n'gun, okay, but it really tickles you off.
mokillo
Regular
Regular

Postby Russian446 » December 31st, 2007, 9:10 pm

mokillo wrote:I add a suggestion : NEVER try doing this while playing CounterStrike. Its run'n'gun, okay, but it really tickles you off.

The entire thing is that you DON'T go on multi-player. Quoting self for clarification:

The thing is, you gotta fight the AI, not play multiplayer. Human opponents require much more concentration, cooperation, and focus on multiple aspects (also stress, if one guy keeps ending you over and over again Wink), if you're playing a team-based game.
Russian446

Postby demigraff » December 31st, 2007, 9:38 pm

I've been playing with a similar idea for a while.

For years, whenever I get really stressed out, I relax by writing a tetris clone. I've now got lots of them, with slight variations. Lately, they've been more modular so I can combine the various game mechanics. A while ago, I found that I could make an interesting variation by running a rhythm analysis algorithm on my backing music, making the blocks fall one step with each beat of the music rather than at a constant rate.

I wondered if handing it a file with no discernible 'beat' would result in a completely random movement - so I tried it with one of EMG's files (which happened to be the only non-musical recording I had on that computer at the time). Much to my surprise, it generated a complex-but-predictable rhythm of movements - at first it seems random, but after a while you get used to anticipating when the block will move down.

I'm still experimenting. My next step is probably going to be putting file-specific images behind the blocks. Maybe even record an induction which specifically references focusing on the blocks.

Well ... actually the next step should probably be getting the damn thing into some kind of automagic installer ... the whole exercise is pretty academic as long as I can only send copies of the game to a player who's willing to spend hours at a CPAN prompt tracking down a myrrid obscure dependencies.

Good luck to everyone else with your experiments too :)
demigraff
Guru
Guru

Return to Help with Files