Volume Levels, Equalizers, and Headphones.

Need help with the files, here's the place to ask your questions.

Moderator: EMG

Volume Levels, Equalizers, and Headphones.

Postby Mythrignoc » July 8th, 2009, 4:37 pm

K, Downloaded a file called MM BabyTrain2 SleepTrain and having a few problems.

First off, even if I'm tired I'm finding it incredibly difficult to fall asleep mainly because of the headphones I have (they're earbud headphones). During the night I usually toss and turn and sleeping on my side just presses that ear bud right up into my ear, kind of hurts. Regular headphones aren't much better. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for headphones for a person who occasionally sleeps on his side.

I'm also wondering what kind of volume levels are appropriate and if I should turn my Equalizer off when playing this (or alternatively adjust it). I have Creative Graphic Equalizer V2.0. Sometimes even if I'm laying on my back for this file, just the sound alone is enough to wake me up.

Any suggestions?
Mythrignoc

Postby abcissy » July 8th, 2009, 6:12 pm

Perhaps I can help, since I created these files.

The 'sleep training' files need only be listened to at minimal volume so as not to disturb your sleep. I'd suggest using some speakers separated at either side of the bed point inward and set the volume down just so you can hear it but not so loud as to disturb your sleep.

You should fall into a sound, comfortable sleep during the induction phase and dream of being a baby. Even though you're sleeping your subconscious hears and absorbs the suggestions planting them deep in your mind to help you become a baby.

Regards

MindMaster
ABCissy
A wet diaper is a wonderful diaper!
abcissy

Postby MindMaster » July 8th, 2009, 6:17 pm

Sorry about that. Cissy was logged on to my computer fixing some things for me and I didn't realize she was still logged in.

The 'sleep training' files need only be listened to at minimal volume so as not to disturb your sleep. I'd suggest using some speakers separated at either side of the bed point inward and set the volume down just so you can hear it but not so loud as to disturb your sleep.

I'd also suggest NOT using an equalizer as the background sounds and brainwave noise are designed to have certain effects during your sleep that might be impacted negatively by an equalizer.

You should fall into a sound, comfortable sleep during the induction phase and dream of being a baby. Even though you're sleeping your subconscious hears and absorbs the suggestions planting them deep in your mind to help you become a baby.

Regards

MindMaster
MindMaster
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Mythrignoc » July 8th, 2009, 6:44 pm

Ah, cool.

So....how do you define minimal? Enough to hear sounds or enough to comprehend words? Bit of a difference in either area.
Mythrignoc

Postby MindMaster » July 8th, 2009, 8:43 pm

For best results, minimal volume level means you can hear the voice/suggestions but it's just sort of a background noise.

The first listening will have you enter trance with the induction then remain in trance for most of the night as you drift off to sleep. During sleep the words and suggestions continue to permeate your subconscious as you sleep helping reprogram the desired results.

I should point out, the Sleep Training files are really meant more as an 'aid' or supplement to the other more conventional hypnosis training files. The jury is still out on how effective sleep learning/training is, but I've seen good results when using them as a supplement to more conventional hypnosis files or sessions.

Regards and good luck

MindMaster
MindMaster
Mentor
Mentor

trouble listening

Postby Calimore » July 9th, 2009, 8:05 am

One of the reasons I don't use files intended to work when one is asleep is that the headsets are either to uncomfortable to sleep in or fall off/out during the night. One solution may be SleepPhones, 'Pajamas for your Ears'. For $60 you get a frequency responsive headset handcrafted into an elastic headband, a CD of binaural beats (they MUST be after my heart!) and a real lavender sachet.

Considering the apparent quality of the product and the fact that the proceeds are going to good ol' fashioned Yankee entrepreneurs, I think it would be money well spent for anyone wanting to listen to anything while laying down. If, 'Gentle Reader', you should happen to purchase a set, please mention that Calimore sent you. I don't get anything for mentioning their product here but I do want them to know where the traffic is coming from. I mean, who knows? Maybe I can get a discount when I order mine. :wink:
If you only Believe in Hypnosis, It can Change Your Life.
Calimore
Guru
Guru

Postby davelowe1977 » July 9th, 2009, 4:24 pm

My two cents worth - the advice you have been given regarding equalisers and speakers isn't true. As a studio recording engineer I can tell you that no two sets of speakers sound the same, most 'matched' pairs don't. Anyone who tells you not to calibrate your set up does not understand basic acoustics. While I want to get technical about this and go on about all sorts of interesting things, I will stick to the basics. You will need speakers that reproduce at least the minimum frequencies of the human voice and depending on the encoding, probably more than that. Human hearing in an average adult means from around 40Hz to about 15KHz. Most cheap kit will not produce this range of response from a baseline of -3dB cut off, so you could if you had the equipment, calibrate your speakers using the equaliser. Since you probably don't have that kit, and the file makers hardly ever know anything about acoustic science anyway, best to stick to the earphone idea as was suggested previously, and check out the specifications before buying. Stereo speakers are a poor alternative to headphones for binaural files in any case.
davelowe1977
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Loci » January 9th, 2010, 2:05 pm

davelowe1977 wrote:My two cents worth - the advice you have been given regarding equalisers and speakers isn't true. As a studio recording engineer I can tell you that no two sets of speakers sound the same, most 'matched' pairs don't. Anyone who tells you not to calibrate your set up does not understand basic acoustics. While I want to get technical about this and go on about all sorts of interesting things, I will stick to the basics. You will need speakers that reproduce at least the minimum frequencies of the human voice and depending on the encoding, probably more than that. Human hearing in an average adult means from around 40Hz to about 15KHz. Most cheap kit will not produce this range of response from a baseline of -3dB cut off, so you could if you had the equipment, calibrate your speakers using the equaliser. Since you probably don't have that kit, and the file makers hardly ever know anything about acoustic science anyway, best to stick to the earphone idea as was suggested previously, and check out the specifications before buying. Stereo speakers are a poor alternative to headphones for binaural files in any case.

I'm using in-ear headphones but it would be much more relaxing not having something plugged into ears but having a good set of speakers. And I think I'm not the only one so I post this here instead of writing a PM. Perhaps you can give some hints what would be suitable in a consumer pricerange.
Loci

Postby davelowe1977 » January 9th, 2010, 5:25 pm

Suggesting a specific product is difficult, not least because I'm in the UK and most other people are not.

Another rather boring fact to know is that although low frequencies are notoriously difficult to reproduce with loudspeaker enclosures, the mind can generate the fundamental bass frequency from the harmonics provided it is familiar with the sound.

Anyhow, product wise, it rather depends on the files. If they are carefully produced, any binaural or other track for that matter should still work provided the speakers are diametrically separated and the units have a flat frequency response in the 80 - 8000Hz range. Its really a question of checking the manufacturers specifications - computer speakers don't usually make the grade. Best to look at some hifi kit. I would imagine that given a decent power amp (you don't need massive power - 8 Watts RMS is plenty!), some entry grade speakers ~£50 / $75 should do the trick. You could pick something up for less if second hand. There is a lack of interest in the hifi market these days, so prices are down. Someone will practically give it away.
davelowe1977
Mentor
Mentor

Return to Help with Files