Playback speed - PC vs MP3 player

Need help with the files, here's the place to ask your questions.

Moderator: EMG

Playback speed - PC vs MP3 player

Postby benjii » May 16th, 2006, 4:50 pm

When I play the files on the PC, the tempo sounds correct. When played back on the MP3 player, the voice seems be slower. Any idea what I am doing wrong?

Thanks.
benjii

Postby Blink » May 16th, 2006, 7:07 pm

My MP3 player has an adjustment for the playback speed buried in the setup menu. Check the documentation that came with your player.

-- Blink

Blink, Blink.
Blink
Guru
Guru

Postby benjii » May 16th, 2006, 7:41 pm

Blink,
Thanks for the reply. I have not been able to find any such setting. The demo files that came on the player, play fine. For your info, this a Creative Labs Zen Micro Photo.

Thanks, Eldon
benjii

Postby wdbames » May 16th, 2006, 9:09 pm

I'm Not up on the specs of the Zen, But it is possible that the file is recorded at an odd bit-rate that the zen is having problems with.
Or it may be recorded as variable bit rate, which few mobile players handle properly.
Your best bet is to re encode the file to a more standard format such as
constant bit rate, and a bitrate that is a multiple of either 16 or 24 Kbps.
You may have to experiment to find a compatible format.
You might read the ZEN manual if You have it. They usually specify what formats and bit rates are recommended.
WDBames
---------------------------
You are relaxed and obedient....
So completely relaxed.
wdbames
Regular
Regular

Postby benjii » May 16th, 2006, 9:15 pm

Thanks for the response. I was playing around and converted the files to WMA with a constant bit rate. Now they sound the same as they do on the PC. I have an inquiry into CreativeLabs and I will be interested to see how they respond.

Thanks again, Eldon
benjii

Postby KuroKitsune » May 17th, 2006, 7:10 pm

Thats why it sounded slower! I tried the same thing with my Creative Zen 20 gig and didnt notice that it was slower till i got home! Now i know what i can do to fix that. Glad to Know that it just wasnt the MP3 player i just purchased wasnt being nice with with getting any files onto it. They were the first files i tried to get onto it.... ^-^
KuroKitsune

Postby benjii » May 17th, 2006, 7:15 pm

I have tracked the problem down further. The MP3 files that are not playing correctly have a bitrate of 32Kpbs. The MP3 files that play correctly have a bitrate of 24Kbps. I am waiting to here back from CreativeLabs on how to address this issue. When I get an answer, I will post it here.

Later...
benjii

Postby benjii » May 18th, 2006, 7:51 pm

I finally got somebody at CreativeLabs to respond with a reasonable answer. They say that the bit rate must be 48Kbps or higher to play back correctly. They say to use their software and convert the file with a more appropriate bit rate.

So there you go, Eldon
benjii

Postby KuroKitsune » May 18th, 2006, 10:01 pm

yay! i know what to do now to get the files to work! ^o^!....now if i can find my mp3 player....my room is in the middle of rearanging and moving furniture but now i cant find anything.....><;;
KuroKitsune

Return to Help with Files