Converting files to a Female Voice

Need help with the files, here's the place to ask your questions.

Moderator: EMG

Converting files to a Female Voice

Postby connect » May 27th, 2006, 10:54 am

I just found a neat audio file conversion program that will take a spoken voice and change pitch, timbre, and gender.

AV VCS 4.0 from Audio4Fun at [url]http://www.audio4fun.com/voice-changer.htm[/url]
(It costs $30US, and the free trial is limited to 3-minutes of use at a time. The unlock process is draconian, linking the program to a specific computer.)

I've recorded myself (male/bass, in the same register as EMG) and gotten a very listenable female tenor/alto playing with the settings. It will take an MP3 playing in another program, apply changes on-the-fly, and record the result to a WAV file. I use Audacity to "package" the result and save as an MP3 (using the LAME library).

It takes some CPU to do what it does, but runs fine on my 2.8 GHz Pentium 4 system with 1GB RAM using Win XP Home.

It's pretty amazing hearing myself as a female.
"And hast thou slain the Jabberwock?" - "Um, no."
connect

Postby lips69 » May 29th, 2006, 9:26 am

Another way to change the voice so it sounds female, is by using a program called Garageband on a Mac. I've managed to do that, and it sounds like a realistic female voice.
lips69
Regular
Regular

Postby ShadowSabre » May 29th, 2006, 4:31 pm

You might be able to do that for free, to some extent, in Audacity. It'd probably be harder, though.
ShadowSabre
Mentor
Mentor

Postby homerj1620 » May 30th, 2006, 7:40 pm

lips69 wrote:Another way to change the voice so it sounds female, is by using a program called Garageband on a Mac. I've managed to do that, and it sounds like a realistic female voice.

I have Gargeband on my Mac, but I've never used it much (I use Ardour+Hydrogen+Rosegarden4+Fluidsynth on Linux). How did you change the voice? I'd like to try that.
homerj1620
Mentor
Mentor

Postby lips69 » May 31st, 2006, 8:34 am

i'm not too good with explaining how to do things in software. But i basically just messed around with it, and found a part where you can change pitch of vocals. It gives you the option of turning a male voice into a female one or vice versa.
You can continue to change the pitch even more so the voice sounds like something your comfortable with.
lips69
Regular
Regular

Return to Help with Files