Binaurals Question

Need help with the files, here's the place to ask your questions.

Moderator: EMG

Binaurals Question

Postby Draygone » November 28th, 2007, 8:39 am

I have a basic idea of what binaurals are, and I've used a few before with some success. But the ones I had success with were with tones. I just downloaded one here that had the voice as a binaural. With the tone files, I didn't have to worry about doing anything, I just put on a pair of headphones and let them play whilst I did other stuff. But what about these voice binaurals? Can I use them the same way? Or should I use them like they're regular hypnosis, and attempt to go into trance. How effective are voice binaurals compared to tone binaurals?
Draygone
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Binaurals Question

Postby MN_FriendlyGuy » November 28th, 2007, 3:16 pm

Draygone - There's a difference between a binaural recording (stereo effect) and binaural beats (nonsynchronious tones).

Binaural beats (tones) can bring two advantages:
    Firstly, there's the "frequency following response". As tone fluctuations move to a lower Hz, your mind is "invited" to change its state of consciousness and become more relaxed. Conversely, moving to a higher Hz is an "invitation" to become more alert.

Secondly, there's the compounding effect. When you combine both words that suggest relaxation and tones that non-verbally invite relaxation, it's powerful stuff.
Still want to dig deeper? Check out this Wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binaural
MN_FriendlyGuy
Guru
Guru

Postby CG091581 » November 28th, 2007, 5:43 pm

You can use a vocoder to insert binaurals and subliminals into hypnosis files.
I've never tried it with binaurals though, so I don't know how effective that method is.

There's a vocoder plugin with adobe audition/cool edit.
CG091581
Regular
Regular

Postby ShadowSabre » November 28th, 2007, 11:46 pm

You can use Audacity-- which is free and open-source-- to create either binaural-type effect. (audacity.sourceforge.net) What's more, it's fairly simple to do either.

If you'd like more instructions, I'd be glad to elaborate.
ShadowSabre
Mentor
Mentor

Postby axl233 » November 29th, 2007, 12:07 am

I would like it if you would elaborate because I would like to know how to make them. Basically I'd love to add Sarnoga style musical binaurals to my files or even something more basic, but just something better than what BW gen creates (which is kind of annoying).
axl233
Regular
Regular

Postby Draygone » November 29th, 2007, 3:20 pm

I'm kinda interested as well. I've already got Audacity.
Draygone
Mentor
Mentor

Postby mooncycle » November 30th, 2007, 1:36 pm

Draygone wrote:I'm kinda interested as well. I've already got Audacity.

i've been using audacity for awhile and i love it. my recording and mixing skills are at a novice level, and it is great for mixing and other experimentations. i was wondering if any one has used the brainwave generator and what they think of it, or if there are any other programs i could try.
mooncycle

Postby MN_FriendlyGuy » November 30th, 2007, 3:18 pm

When your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail. :D

- Audacity is a recording tool.
- BrainWave Generator is a tool for generating binaural beats.

If your goal is to create a recording that plays a binaural beat soundtrack (tones) and a hypnosis session (words), you'll need both tools.

Yes, one of the available effects in Audacity is "change pitch". By slightly changing the pitch of one channel, (left & right channels set to different tones), you might establish a binaural beat within the listener's mind.

Example: By playing a 315 Hz sine wave into the right ear and playing a 325 Hz wave into the left ear, the brain is "invited" to move toward a beat frequency of 10 Hz - the alpha range (drowsiness).

Unfortunately, Audacity doesn't have a feature for measuring hertz. It also doesn't have a way to *incrementally* change the pitch setting. Without these controls it's unlikely you'll succeed in gradually reaching the desireable low beat frequency of Theta & Delta waves (dreams & sleep).

By contrast, BrainWave Generator eliminates the guesswork of controlling the binaural beat that's generated when two different tones are simultaneously played (left ear / right ear). It allows you to slowly, gradually, and precisely lower the frequency to 4 Hz.

When you combine hypnotic words (session) with binaural beats (tones), it's a double-whammy.
Last edited by MN_FriendlyGuy on December 1st, 2007, 6:34 am, edited 4 times in total.
MN_FriendlyGuy
Guru
Guru

Postby dss » November 30th, 2007, 4:22 pm

[quote="MN_FriendlyGuy"]
mooncycle wrote:
Draygone wrote:I'm kinda interested as well. I've already got Audacity.

By contrast, BrainWave Generator eliminates the guesswork of controlling the binaural beat that's generated when two different tones are simultaneously played (left ear / right ear). It allows you to slowly, gradually, and precisely lower the frequency to 4 Hz.

When you combine hypnotic words (session) with binaural beats (tones), it's a double-whammy.[/color]

Very informative. I have listened to several files that used binaural beats is there a resource somewhere that lists the effect of binaural beat freq's?
dss

Postby MN_FriendlyGuy » December 1st, 2007, 6:31 am

dss wrote:Very informative. I have listened to several files that used binaural beats is there a resource somewhere that lists the effect of binaural beat freq's?

Absolutely! Check out this Wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binaural_beats; scrolling down to the section on "Brain waves" (Electroencephalography). You won't even need to read the article, since there's a table that makes it easy to understand.

Even better - keep scrolling down within the article to find the "Example" section. Binbeat Sample 2 takes about 30 minutes to play (headphones a must!). It allows you to experience the phenomenon for yourself.
MN_FriendlyGuy
Guru
Guru

Postby Mino » December 1st, 2007, 2:29 pm

MN_FriendlyGuy wrote:
Unfortunately, Audacity doesn't have a feature for measuring hertz. It also doesn't have a way to *incrementally* change the pitch setting. Without these controls it's unlikely you'll succeed in gradually reaching the desireable low beat frequency of Theta & Delta waves (dreams & sleep).

Generate menu in Audacity, then tone and you can put the exact amount of hertz you want as well as length, amplitude and you can choose from sine, square and sawtooth waveforms.
Mino
Regular
Regular

Postby dss » December 2nd, 2007, 9:15 am

Mino wrote:
MN_FriendlyGuy wrote:

Generate menu in Audacity, then tone and you can put the exact amount of hertz you want as well as length, amplitude and you can choose from sine, square and sawtooth waveforms.

Yes in Audacity you can generate a tone, but by using Brainwave Generator, you can manipulate that tone over time. For example I have a file I created for the bodies of several of the files on this site, this file runs about 62 min in length. Using BWG I was able to create a binaural tone to play at a low volume behind this file that gradually ramps down from 13hz to 4.2hz during the induction, then ramps back up during the awakening. I have been using this file withouth the tone for about a week, and I always have been able to recall listening to the entire file. However after adding the binaural I remember the induction and about half the first segment of the file, then nothing until the ramp up at the beginning of the awakening, and as a result the triggers I have in this file have also been much more effective since adding this track. I am going to try the same thing with a file that I have never listened to before and see if I get the same results.
dss

Postby homerj1620 » December 2nd, 2007, 3:44 pm

dss wrote:Yes in Audacity you can generate a tone, but by using Brainwave Generator, you can manipulate that tone over time.

Actually, there is a plugin for generating binaural frequencies:

NEW! Binaural tones with surf 2
Updated version of bitone.ny. You can change the beat frequencies over time.
Published research indicates stereo beat frequencies can generate relaxation and other states of consciousness. Use at your own risk - please read extensive instructions.

http://www.shellworld.net/~davidsky/plug-ins.htm

I haven't used it yet.
homerj1620
Mentor
Mentor

Postby MN_FriendlyGuy » December 2nd, 2007, 8:01 pm

I continue to amazed at the things I learn through this site. Fantastic!

Mino wrote:

This method was successfully attempted, generating two sinewave tracks with different hertz (difference of 10 Hz between left & right channels). This was a good starting point. But it did not satisfy my need to gradually reduce the difference to 4 Hz. Once created, the tone track could not be modified over time (slowly, gradually, and without square sinewave)

homerj1620 wrote:Actually, there is a plugin for generating binaural frequencies.

http://www.shellworld.net/~davidsky/plug-ins.htm

I haven't used it yet.

This evening, I downloaded the additional Audacity plug-ins, unzipping them into the "Plug-Ins" folder.

My first attempt to generate a binaual tone was unsuccessful. The error message was "Nyquist returned too many audio channels". A little web research revealed that one must first open a new stereo track before using the binaural plug-in.

Again, this method successfully generated two sinewave tracks with different hertz (difference of 10 Hz between left & right channels). But again, it did not allow me to gradually reduce the difference to 4 Hz. Once created, the tracks could not be modified over time (slowly, gradually, and without square sinewave).

I'm grateful for the ideas and enjoyed experimenting with them. For now, the Brainwave Generator application remains the tool I prefer.

And now I've got a sh*tload of new plug-ins to to experiment and have fun with.

Again, thank you!
MN_FriendlyGuy
Guru
Guru

Postby iamatestsubjectofme » December 3rd, 2007, 12:55 pm

I too became an early fan of the David R. Sky plugins and still use audacity sometimes.
iamatestsubjectofme
Regular
Regular

Return to Help with Files