Audacity Help

Need help with the files, here's the place to ask your questions.

Moderator: EMG

Audacity Help

Postby whatsername100 » December 16th, 2007, 7:30 pm

It's not really about any file in particular, but I've been trying to edit hypnosis mp3's in the Audacity audio editing program, and it doesn't let me edit them. It opens them just fine, but almost every option is disabled. I even tried converting them into WAV, but it still doesn't work. Does anyone know how to make files editable in Audacity?
whatsername100
Regular
Regular

Postby axl233 » December 16th, 2007, 11:49 pm

Can you select a part of a file with the selection tool (looks like a cursor)???

You need to select parts of a file before you can apply an edit.

If it is not that, then perhaps there is a problem with your soundcard or something.
axl233
Regular
Regular

Postby loony28 » December 17th, 2007, 2:22 am

It wouldn't be a problem with the sound card. If whatsername100 can't select anything with Audacity then there's something wrong with the program. Like axl233 said you first have to select part of the file to edit. I don't use Audacity but if you click a part within the track, hold the mouse button down and slide it over, you should see that part become highlighted. Once you highlight the section you want to edit you can cut, copy, or delete that section. You may be able to do some other things with it, you'll just have to see what effects you can apply.
loony28
Guru
Guru

Postby dharden » December 17th, 2007, 6:03 pm

The edit options will be grayed out until you select part of the file. If you want to do something to the entire file, such as change the gain, you'll have to select the entire file.
dharden
Mentor
Mentor

Return to Help with Files