Any advice on mp3 editors?

Need help with the files, here's the place to ask your questions.

Moderator: EMG

Any advice on mp3 editors?

Postby onewhoknew » June 13th, 2005, 3:42 pm

I've been having a few problems with the induction files I've downloaded: namely, the pitch seems to have shifted down a lot, leaving the voice no more than a low growl. Has anyone else had this problem? And does can anyone reccomend a (free) editor than can adjust the pitch with out speeding it up?
onewhoknew

Re: Any advice on mp3 editors?

Postby dharden » June 13th, 2005, 4:25 pm

onewhoknew wrote:I've been having a few problems with the induction files I've downloaded: namely, the pitch seems to have shifted down a lot, leaving the voice no more than a low growl. Has anyone else had this problem?

I haven't, and can't recall having heard of it happening.

And does can anyone reccomend a (free) editor than can adjust the pitch with out speeding it up?

Audacity (http://audacity.sourceforge.net) can do it. You'll need to d/l the LAME encoder in order to save in mp3 format, but there are links from the Audacity download page that'll take you to it. If you want to save as joint-stereo instead of stereo, you may need to save as wav, and use LAME as a standalone to convert to mp3.

IMO, it might be easier to just re-download those files. It'd also let you check whether the problem is with the files you have, or elsewhere in your system's sound setup.
dharden
Mentor
Mentor

Postby sandy82 » June 14th, 2005, 12:42 am

onewhoknew, you can trust dharden's advice. We are lucky to have someone with experience and a practical approach to computer programs and problems.

I agree that downloading again is the best and easiest next step. I have also noticed that WMP handles the files better than RealPlayer. RP has a tendency to give the files .mpga extensions instead of .mp3. RP's filing system is easier to use than WMP's. If you don't have both already, there are free updates out there. You can test the quality of the two systems against each other.
sandy82
Guru
Guru

Postby dharden » June 14th, 2005, 9:00 am

sandy82 wrote:I have also noticed that WMP handles the files better than RealPlayer. RP has a tendency to give the files .mpga extensions instead of .mp3. RP's filing system is easier to use than WMP's. If you don't have both already, there are free updates out there.

There's also oldversion.com, if, like me, you have an older system that can't run the latest'n'greatest.
dharden
Mentor
Mentor

Postby onewhoknew » June 15th, 2005, 3:10 pm

Thank you for that link! I have discovered the location of the problem: while the files play correctly on my computer, they became distorted when I moved them onto my MP3 player. That Audacity program has adjusted them so the files sound better.

Now to see if I can get it to work!
onewhoknew

Postby dharden » June 15th, 2005, 10:58 pm

onewhoknew wrote:I have discovered the location of the problem: while the files play correctly on my computer, they became distorted when I moved them onto my MP3 player.

I know that music files will probably have higher bitrates and sample rates than the voice files here. I have no experience with mp3 players, so this is more than a bit of a WAG, but I wouldn't be surprised if some mp3 players are less flexible about such things than programs such as WiMP or RealPlayer.
dharden
Mentor
Mentor

Postby demigraff » June 25th, 2005, 8:46 am

I've also added ALC karaoke text to some of the files (so I can read them on screen as well as listening), and I was just wondering... is there an application I can use which will let me select or drag/drop sections of a file using the text, rather than having to find the end of the words at every edit?
demigraff
Guru
Guru

Return to Help with Files