Help

Need help with the files, here's the place to ask your questions.

Moderator: EMG

Help

Postby MuscleGuy » August 22nd, 2005, 4:04 pm

How do I down load the files on to my computer. I get a Quicktime popup.
MuscleGuy

Postby GuardianAero » August 22nd, 2005, 6:00 pm

right click, "save file as"
GuardianAero

Re: Help

Postby dharden » August 22nd, 2005, 11:41 pm

MuscleGuy wrote:How do I down load the files on to my computer. I get a Quicktime popup.

When you click on a link in one of the file lists, the page which loads uses JavaScript window.open (IOW, a pop-up window) to send the file. Your system is responding to that by opening your default mp3 player. (Note, right-clicking on one of those links and selecting "save as" will fetch HTML, not an mp3.)

It won't hurt to close Quicktime as soon as it opens. Bring your browser back into the foreground, if closing Quicktime doesn't do that. You should be able to stop the transfer, if it's still going, and use the link just above the blue line to get the file. On that link, you can right-click and select "save as".
dharden
Mentor
Mentor

Postby OUstud82 » August 23rd, 2005, 12:15 am

dharden wrote:
MuscleGuy wrote:How do I down load the files on to my computer. I get a Quicktime popup.

When you click on a link in one of the file lists, the page which loads uses JavaScript window.open (IOW, a pop-up window) to send the file. Your system is responding to that by opening your default mp3 player. (Note, right-clicking on one of those links and selecting "save as" will fetch HTML, not an mp3.)

It won't hurt to close Quicktime as soon as it opens. Bring your browser back into the foreground, if closing Quicktime doesn't do that. You should be able to stop the transfer, if it's still going, and use the link just above the blue line to get the file. On that link, you can right-click and select "save as".

I am relatively computer savvy and this made no sense to me, and I still cannot save files.
OUstud82

Postby Jerm » August 23rd, 2005, 12:46 am

Ok, this is simple. If you want to save a (free) file to your pc simply click on the file link from the files section. After you click the link your pc will attempt to open the file through a media player program and the page will change to show an ad for hypnogirls.com on top. Directly below the ad is a link named after the file you want to download. Right click on the link and left click on save as. That should do it. I hope that helps.
Jerm
Regular
Regular

Postby BobbyS » August 23rd, 2005, 5:54 pm

I've been downloading some of these files and call me simple (actually don't), but I still don't understand why the initial link (i.e. the one in the index) can't be a link to the file instead of an HTML link.
BobbyS
Guru
Guru

Economic Facts of Life

Postby maskedwomyn » August 24th, 2005, 12:27 pm

The ads that we see here at Warpmymind help EMG feel good about continuing the service, even if they aren't enough to make the website a career for him. When you click on the first link it puts the actual link that you need right under an unavoidable ad. Since that helps keep the vast majority of the files free i'm happy to live with a small delay in getting to the file i want. Hopefully you can feel that way too.

the masked womyn
maskedwomyn
Regular
Regular

Postby dharden » August 24th, 2005, 3:40 pm

OUstud82 wrote:I am relatively computer savvy and this made no sense to me,

I apologize if I wasn't as clear as I thought I was. Still, what happens when you click a link in a files section is that another page loads, and that page both provides a link to the file and uses JavaScript to launch a pop-up window which sends the file to you. Unless you can block that pop-up, links in the files sections are, in effect, links to the files which can't be right-clicked.

and I still cannot save files.

What have you tried, and what happened when you tried it? Which browser are you using, and which OS are you running it under? Are you using any third-party software such as a download manager or ad-blocker?
dharden
Mentor
Mentor

Postby chymos » August 24th, 2005, 11:40 pm

even if you can't block the popup, you should still be able to switch back to the original window and right-click the link......
chymos
Regular
Regular

Postby sandy82 » August 25th, 2005, 1:14 pm

I wrote this out for a guy named TomJoe on July 9. He was trying to download a file called TrainGayJock. I went through every possible step, click by click. I wrote out the following. Then he was able to download the file.

See if the following helps. Obviously, in Items 2, 3, and 4, below, change the names as appropriate.

One big change since July 9. If you're not a Premium Member, don't click on any button that says "Premium." Don't click on a "Buy Now" file unless you intend to buy it now. Click only on a file which immediately follows--> name:
An example is---name: drinkmorebeer

This entry <<name: drinkmorebeer >> will be the closest one to the left-hand margin.

I just tested it again. It works.

- - - - -

Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 11:35 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TomJoe, I just tested the download process and it works. Since you've already listened to the file once, I'm guessing you don't need to listen to it while it downloads.

1. Go to the regular Files section. Not the new Files section.

2. Under Category, choose Behavior.

3. Under Type, choose Training.

4. The tenth file name down is TrainGayJock. (Two names in black, six in purple, and two in black.)

5. Left-click on that title (which precedes the description of the file).

6. Manually scroll up the left side of this main screen past the word "Type". Immediately above the word "Category" you will again see the title of the file you want to download. (Sometimes, the site's software will automatically scroll up the screen for you.) This is the "upper" title of the file you want: it is higher up on the same screen in the Files section. Right-click on this upper title. Choose "Save Target As." A File Download logo/pic will appear on your PC screen. After several seconds, you will see a mini-index to ordinary Windows file sites on your PC. Pick the PC file in which you want TrainGayJock to be saved. Click on "Save As" (or Enter, or OK, or whatever the button says).

Here's why you do not want to right-click on the lower title of the file you choose. The name of the "Save As" file changes to "modules.php" when you right-click on the lower title. The software program thinks you want to save the title and short verbal description of the file, as opposed to the voice file itself.

If WMP (or RealPlayer or QuickTime) tries to kick in when you click on the title you want, cancel out WMP (or RP or QT).

Hope the detailed instructions work for you.
Last edited by sandy82 on August 25th, 2005, 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sandy82
Guru
Guru

Postby sandy82 » August 25th, 2005, 1:32 pm

Software instructions.

FWIW, I do not consider myself computer-savvy. I know how people feel when they ask for instructions.

Let me state my views on this. That may help people give instructions to nitwits like me.

I don't want to know WHY things work the way they do.
I don't want to read a single technical name.

Here's what I want. I hope that someone will go through every step from the very beginning--and assume nothing. The instructor should realize that if he/she does not say something specifically and clearly, I won't do it. Reason: if it is not specifically stated, I won't know that I'm supposed to do it.

I hope people can follow the instructions I wrote above. I started out at the Forums page and proceeded from there, step by step.

Believe me, if I can follow my own instructions, I must have written them clearly. :P
sandy82
Guru
Guru

Postby dharden » August 25th, 2005, 2:25 pm

chymos wrote:even if you can't block the popup, you should still be able to switch back to the original window and right-click the link......

Sure. That's the second part of what I was trying to say to MuscleGuy, though I did bobble it somewhat. I mentioned stopping the transfer because, IMO, there's no point in downloading the whole file twice if you can avoid it.
dharden
Mentor
Mentor

Return to Help with Files