My revenge against my fellow atheists...

This is an area for the discussion of Philosophy, Religion & Politics. WARNING! Debates may become heated, Personal attacks or religious recruiting are not permitted.

Moderator: EMG

My revenge against my fellow atheists...

Postby accursedCursive » December 17th, 2013, 4:51 am

Atheists believe they debate using pure reason.
The fact is, almost all of them are mockers who wouldn't know metaphysics if they got loopkilled by entropy due to parallel universe immortality gimmicks.

Which is why I declare December "Teach-your-theist-friend-advanced-metaphysics-that-99%-of-atheists-would-get-owned-by month".
Seriously, atheism has been getting too lax, I'd probably be able to pull off a watertight creationism proof with ease, they almost never have to explain how life originates from non-life.
accursedCursive

Postby Endo » December 17th, 2013, 10:25 am

Congrats, you've become one of the select few who actually post in this thread. Generally, this has devolved into a no-mans land so that Tangy can spew whatever it wants without bothering most people. But seeing as how you love making sweeping generalizations and incoherent statements as to how evolution is supposed to explain the cause of life (which it is not intended to do), you'll fit right in.
Endo
Guru
Guru

Postby KIY » December 17th, 2013, 7:30 pm

Define Life-- do not use death in your definition. Alternatively, define death without reference to life.

Namely, do not define death as "the absence of life" or "something which is not alive," nor define life as "something which is not dead."

It is not as easy as most people think. Once we have a good, solid definition of life and death, then we can address how life comes or came about.
KIY
Mentor
Mentor

Postby diode168 » December 17th, 2013, 10:44 pm

KIY wrote:Define Life-- do not use death in your definition.

The condition that distinguishes animals and plants from inorganic matter, including the capacity for growth, reproduction, functional activity, and continual change preceding the permanent ending of vital processes in a cell or tissue.

Sorry I just have the urge to be a cock sometimes. :roll:
diode168
Guru
Guru

Postby KIY » December 18th, 2013, 7:11 pm

diode168 wrote:

The condition that distinguishes animals and plants from inorganic matter, including the capacity for growth, reproduction, functional activity, and continual change preceding the permanent ending of vital processes in a cell or tissue.

Sorry I just have the urge to be a cock sometimes. :roll:

Very good-- but it doesn't really define life with regards to HOW it differs from things such as crystal growth and reproduction. If cells are necessary, then your definition means that viruses aren't alive, and viruses frequently are classified as such. Plus, "vital processes" is too vague. Finally, "continual change" is worthless-- change occurs in both living and non-living things all the time. Melting ice is generally not classified as alive.

I'm working from memory of a discussion from the late 1980s/early 1990s where determining what constituted death and life-- and at what point someone is dead-- was/is vital to their industry.

Sorry, but my chronic depression is manifesting as being annoyed by, and annoying to, people. (An improvement, I guess.)
KIY
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Chibi » January 1st, 2014, 2:33 pm

diode168 wrote:

But technically, don't even mere electrons have capacity for growth?
By connecting their own atoms to others, or connecting to an atom to begin with, isn't that increasing their collective size aka growth?

Also, reproduction is an illusion, all we are doing is moving atoms from one place to another. We aren't actually reproducing ourselves. Electrons also play a part in moving atoms around, so technically they reproduce.

Electrons function, in their own way.

Again, change? Which part of the "life" is changing? Electrons connect to different atoms at times, thus changing?

Therefore, electrons are alive?
Chibi

Postby lew897 » June 13th, 2015, 6:03 am

I know the general flow turned towards how to define life, but I wanted to talk about atheism. Just being able to baffle someone doesn't make you atheist. Being atheist means that the only person you answer to is yourself. Catholics are more atheist than they realize, as Jesus tells them they are forgiven and are allowed to live the life they want with love. They are to be together and believe in themselves. They live a full life based on their own choices.
lew897
Mentor
Mentor

Return to Philosophy, Religion & Politics