Should we have a female president?

This is an area for the discussion of Philosophy, Religion & Politics. WARNING! Debates may become heated, Personal attacks or religious recruiting are not permitted.

Moderator: EMG

Should we have a female president?

Postby Ceot » January 16th, 2006, 12:54 am

Allrite here it is.

Its not that she's a woman that matters.
No not at all.
Its that she reprisents putting away both racial and sexist blocks
that have held on for so long.

Now if not for that reason alone.
Then I feel she should run because for who she is as a person.
When things have gone horribly wrong her stature in all of this
was one for the people.

I for one trust what decissions she would make.
And hate that this is another Collin Powell all over again.

Hell if the sane and honest wont run for president.
Guess that has something to tell us.

What do all of you think?
Always in mind. And sadly twice as strong.

http://www.niteflirt.com/memberpub/homepage.asp?homepage=1
Ceot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skot » January 16th, 2006, 7:14 am

Yes. But in my mind, it depends more on which President it is you want. If it's Madam Rice, for instance, my vote is no.
skot
Regular
Regular

So what if she likes shoes? Imelda did too.

Postby sandy82 » January 25th, 2006, 2:07 am

Ceot, you wrote your pitch for Miss/Ms. Rice before she made her proposal on "transformational diplomacy" last week. All the cities of over one million around the world (about 250 now) are, in her words, "where it's happening." Seven digits seem to have special meaning for her.

She has forgotten, if she ever knew, that cities are like certain other things.

It's not how large you make them, but how you make them large.

You don't have to consult the census to know that New Orleans had fewer than a million people in late August/early September. The things that happened there didn't interest Condi. The NYT reported that three days after bodies began floating in the flooded streets of the Big Easy, Miss/Ms. Rice was on Fifth Avenue in Manhattan, spending thousands on shoes at Ferragamo. When a fellow female shopper asked her why she wasn't doing something to line up international help for New Orleans, Condi's security detail hustled the woman bodily out of Ferragamo and deposited her on the sidewalk. A sensible question she asked, it seems to me, but one which received no answer.

I agree with skot on this one. But if Condi is a Madam, I can see why she took the day job.

Ceot, a query for you. You made the following statement:

"I for one trust what decissions she would make.
And hate that this is another Collin Powell all over again."

How can you trust the decisions she would make, when you don't yet know what they would be?

I think that a female president would be just fine. I support the shopper who was thrown out of Ferragamo at taxpayers' expense.

She asks sensible questions.
sandy82
Guru
Guru

Postby Mallic » January 25th, 2006, 5:08 pm

May I point out there is no defiante 'No' vote?
[url=http://www.purepwnage.com][img:70ca72257b]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v477/TWINTURBOSkyline/ppbanner.jpg[/img:70ca72257b][/url]
Mallic
Guru
Guru

Postby JKnaugh13 » January 25th, 2006, 5:42 pm

Ceot,

I already have an idea for a Christmas present for you next year. It's called a dictionary. I'm not sure if you've heard of one before.

The word is spelled 'definitely'.
JKnaugh13

Postby Mallic » January 25th, 2006, 8:12 pm

JK, may I remind you that you have at one time said this

There is only one God, the God of Abraham. All those who seek to worship other false gods will suffer for eternity in Hell. Every man is flawed, every man sins. There is still time to repent. I will pray for you all to embrace God's love. I feel not anger towards those who do not believe in God, only sadness and pity.

People who spew out such shit should not flame others for their spelling.
[url=http://www.purepwnage.com][img:70ca72257b]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v477/TWINTURBOSkyline/ppbanner.jpg[/img:70ca72257b][/url]
Mallic
Guru
Guru

Postby JKnaugh13 » January 25th, 2006, 9:13 pm

Mallic,

It's ironic that the status of 'guru' should be associated with your account, as it is obviously not true for the individual who uses it. As for my previous post that you quoted, I don't see how my opinion has any relevance towards a simple matter of spelling a word at least somewhat close to its correct spelling. Lastly, don't ever refer to my religious beliefs (and those of about 2 billion other people) as 'shit' again. Learn some class.
JKnaugh13

Postby Jack » January 25th, 2006, 9:26 pm

ROFLMAO
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertrand Russell
"By doing certain things certain results follow." A. Crowley, Book of Lies
"Dum spiro, spero." - Cicero
Jack
Guru
Guru

Postby Mallic » January 25th, 2006, 9:59 pm

Jack wrote:ROFLMAO

I don't know who your laughing at, but I hope its not me.

JK,
Am I the only one who finds it hypocritical that you say I have no class while you sarcasticaly flame those for slightly bad spelling, and imply that you are above those lesser mortals who you pity. I don't give a shit how many people worship your religion. Most of them don't try to recruit with scare tactics.

What wit you have! No, I am not a guru, but I don't want/try/pretend to be one. If I had my way, it would say 'Annoyance' but it looks like Sandy will get there first. Jack in, Jack off.
Mallic
Guru
Guru

Postby Primus » January 25th, 2006, 11:48 pm

the god of abraham? isn't that the same guy who told one kid to stake his brother and then bitch slapped him for it?
I think I'll take my chances in hell beause at least there I understand the rule s no matter what I do I'll burn. In heaven sometimes it's ok to disobey god and sometimes it isn't... how do you know when is right and when isnt? I'll go with the flames rather than the choice that will somehow still be worked against me.
Primus
Regular
Regular

Postby manlian » January 26th, 2006, 4:28 am

Make a God thread you bums! :lol:

Or face the consequences....

Malachi: 2:3 Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces

...And you will know my name is THE LORD. There's more where that came from!
manlian

Postby manlian » January 26th, 2006, 4:30 am

Heh, I was just kidding.

Anyway, I wouldn't have anything against a female president, though I don't think that gender should be a factor in how you vote. I guess convention weighs heavily in how people vote though.
manlian

Postby Mallic » January 26th, 2006, 6:35 am

You can't fool me... I have seen Pulp Fiction.
Last edited by Mallic on January 26th, 2006, 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mallic
Guru
Guru

Postby manlian » January 26th, 2006, 6:50 am

lol, me too, but he actually does get that stuff from the Bible.

I've always wanted to make a poster of Malachi 2:3 and stick it up on a church door on Sunday Morning.

I can remember watching another movie with this quote:

2 Chronicles 21:18 And after all this the LORD smote him in his bowels with an incurable disease.

I can't remember the name of the movie though, it was very trashy.
manlian

Postby Mallic » January 26th, 2006, 7:33 am

Or Numbers 22:21
Mallic
Guru
Guru

Postby SubmissMe » January 26th, 2006, 9:24 am

I'm English, so my view is that Bush is a spoon (in terms of intelligence) and any President is better than him.

But then, everyone across the pond feels that way.
SubmissMe
Mentor
Mentor

Racist

Postby quinton89 » February 16th, 2006, 5:50 pm

You i find it odd that people are willing to vote for a woman before they vote for a black man. I mean most people dont believe a women is capable of being president. But A black Man key word MAN is considered one of the last choice someone would think of as President
quinton89

Postby Ceot » February 20th, 2006, 5:37 pm

Hell I wouldnt mind a black male president.
Woman or alein for that matter at this point.
As long as they stand for the veiws of a helpfull, peacefull soceity.

Hear are the new guys who may run.

Mcain. he's not so bad I guess.

Mrs Bush.....Awww......????

The border patrol guy who wants to run just so he can enforce us cutting off Mexico.
He said that in a quote!
-- Looks confused.--

"Oh i,m loveing this?..."
Cringes up into a little ball and wimpers.

Ceot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Lissar » May 25th, 2006, 6:59 pm

I'm not voting in the poll because I don't think you can really say yes or no or "definatly" on this topic. (Of course, no one should ever say "definatly" because it just makes me want to hurl dictionaries at people.)

I would not vote for a female candidate just because of her gender. In fact, I would vote against a female candidate if I felt that her policies were against my best interests. The same goes for any candidate who isn't white, male, and some sort of Christian. I would love to see a female president, a queer president, a non-caucasian president, a non-Christian president, or some combination of the above. But the reason that we have yet to have one of these candidates elected is because how many of these candidates have we had? In one of my college classes, we discussed why there are so few women in politics. Research shows that women who run for political office win just as much as men do. The issue is that fewer women run for those offices.

If Rice runs for president against a male Democratic candidate, I would not vote for her. If Clinton ran for president against a male Republican candidate, I would vote for her. It's not gender that I'm looking at; it's political views.

I'm just looking forward to the first female president or the first non-Christian president. I'm getting tired of disregard for women's health, as well as a disregard for other religious views. I do believe that a female president or a non-Christian president would better address these issues than our current administration or any future administration.
Lissar
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Ash1981 » October 2nd, 2006, 12:42 am

If what is said above is true, that most people don't think a female can handle that job, then most people are mysogynist dirtbags.

Having said that, I still think you should have made a "no" option, so we could at least tell who the morons are.
Ash1981

Postby AnneOniMouse » October 2nd, 2006, 10:39 am

Only if he's ready to undergo the surgery.
AnneOniMouse

Postby Ceot » December 13th, 2006, 4:49 pm

excuse me for the bad writting.
Back then I was drinking heavily.
Now i,m drinking heavily,
and woundering about my freinds who wont
be comming home for the holidays.

:wink: what am I worried about.
Its always christmas in heaven.

:cry: To bad i,m an agnostic.
Last edited by Ceot on December 13th, 2006, 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ceot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Ceot » December 13th, 2006, 4:50 pm

I,m a Moron,...
Maybe I should run.

Hmmm let me see what are my views.

Um....... Ok lets start using deisle powered cars like the British.
cause it really helps a nation not need so much gasoline.
Transfer most people from the oil refineries to deisle plants.
Take those making gas cars and switch over to making deisle cars.

Enforce recycling just to piss people off.
start digging threw the waste dumps and reusing all that lost resource.
Just because it creates more needed work.

use the CIA to defame the telabon.
Anti war propaganda and create a new peaceful figure like Gandhi.
Starting a peace full movement that allows me
to rebuild their homes and mosks.

Remind them those who preach our evil grow fat with wealth
as they suffer and starve.
Never letting a single bit go to rebuilding life.
And simply using the death for their own cause.

Allowing me to send medical aid to heal their wounded.
and mine sweepers to remove all that crap we all left.
..both sides...

Legalize pot and tax it to fix the defesit.
And after we bring the troops home use that money
to fully rebuild Mississippi and new Orleans.

Fill in ground zero and turn that into a park.
add some tree's.

Start kicking retarded government officials out of office
for wasting the peoples time and patients.

Hold new elections focusing on real people with honest views running.
And a whole campaign that's so in their face i,ll go out and find those
people in their homes if I have to.

Just tell them their running and to deal with it.
Because its better then a tobacco lobbyist or some old
gray haired anal retard who has his own agenda
and no real connection to the world past his mansion or manor home
secured by a crap load of guards,
and to much money to know what to do with.

then start over fresh.

Because that flag stands for the people.
the presidency stands for the people and their dream of becoming that figure in our history should be as free as the race or color of their skin.

Blah,blah some martin Luther kind of stuff.
I loved Malcolm X. yadda, yadda.
Kennedy rules.

Go America....yeah....

Hope that didn't piss any one off.
Oh and hey another woman for office.

Any one like her views?....

Ceot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Patch_Winter » December 29th, 2006, 5:23 pm

I read a statistic somewhere that said that an estimated 50% of Americans would vote against an Atheist just based on that fact alone.

That topic always brings us into the 'Do we need God to tell us how to be moral'-debate... an age-old favourite for Hobbesian argumentation...

Here's what I don't want to happen:

I don't want the United States to be faced with a choice between two female, presidential candidates, because at that point it will cease to be a choice to step toward equality, and possibly be more like a repeat of the John Kerry - George Bush -battle -- a choice between the lesser of two evils, because the important issues will fail to be addressed in all of the consternation. (Not to mention that Nader will get a crapton of votes from Chauvinists and maybe win, which would be odd.)
Taking a step forward such as getting a female in office is a pretty big one, considering how much press and stuff presidents in the US always get, regardless of whether they're actually the ones in control. (e.g. do you really think that Bush is running this country right now?)
It would be really great if we could just avoid the issue of having to choose between a shitty male president and a good female president by just putting a hermaphrodite in office by joint Congressional resolution. And then we would've done something so extreme, that putting a Muslim in office wouldn't seem that crazy after the last term...

I'm not really sure whether Condoleeza Rice would make good as a president... I generally make my decision on who should win during the presidential debates, that's the point when it's most obvious who knows what they're talking about and who does not.

In my ideal society, all people who would run for office would have undisclosed genders and religions and changed names, etc. When they would go out in public for an address, they'd wear astronaught-suits and talk through voicemods, etc.
I think that this country focuses way too much on trivial infomation such as race and gender and religion, and not on more valid points like intelligence and good policy. It would be cool if we got to see who got elected only after we elected them.
Patch_Winter
Regular
Regular

Postby Lissar » December 31st, 2006, 12:44 am

I think it's unfair to say that two female candidates would mean picking between the lesser of two evils. While you might not mean this, it does imply that a woman president is a bad thing, and therefore the not-evil choice would be to chose a man. Again, you didn't say it explicitly, but that's the implication. To me, it's not about the sex of the candidate, but his or her beliefs and goals. If Condi runs against Hilary, I'd pick Hilary. And if Condi runs against Obama, I'd pick Obama. It isn't about sex.

But I would really like to have a female president in my lifetime. While yes, the president isn't the KING, and other people influence him, look at what Bush has done in this country. He has enough power and influence that he's affected my life (negatively). I think that a female president would be able to make a positive difference in the lives of women just by being the figurehead of this country. It sets an example for the countries that look to us, and it sets an example for young girls who aspire to be president some day. I know my little sister used to want to be president. She's lost interest. And in a class I took last year, we discussed the trend of young girls who want to be president who also lose interest. Maybe it's because they grow up and see all the men in power. There is no female example in this country for young girls, and so we lose hope.

We all know that women are allowed to run for president, but I don't think this country is really encouraging them to do so. I think everyone has this misconception that a woman won't have what it takes to be president, as what it takes are all very "masculine" traits. It's ridiculous. I don't really consider Clinton OR Rice to be that soft.
Lissar
Mentor
Mentor

Postby King_and_God » February 10th, 2007, 12:32 pm

There should be no female president in the US; my annoying grandmother would talk too much feminist crap if a woman won the election.
King_and_God

Postby Lissar » February 17th, 2007, 1:40 am

Yes, that's a fantastic reason, haha.

It makes me sad that there's so much stigma surrounding feminism. I love being a feminist. I also love being sexually submissive. I want equal representation in my government, I want to be paid the same dollar as men, I want my voice to be heard and taken seriously, and I want the right to make my decisions about my body. And I also love it when my boyfriend takes control and holds me down. We have plans to try out hypnosis and bondage, too. Who says you can't be a feminist and enjoy being sexually dominated?

Besides, more people are feminists than just those who will admit it. It's sad that the stigma surrounding the words "feminist" and "feminism" prevent many people from identifying as feminists and helping to bring to light hidden discrimination in all parts of life.

So anyway, so what if your grandmother talks about feminism? It's about time more people did. Maybe we'd take sexual discrimination more seriously if more women were in positions of power in our government.
Lissar
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Ceot » April 23rd, 2007, 3:45 pm

All rite so feminist versus non feminist...
Come to think of it, since their figuring out
how to reproduce with out male sperm...

I,ll keep my vote from the feminist feild thank you very much.

Just want a change from another retarded,
white haired reject from business school...

I mean come on.
What do they clone these asshole's?...

P.s I don't give a fuck how its spelled.
Proper dictation shouldn't be the death of me.
" My drinking should "....

--NYAHHH-- <<<--*P+3(( Th@t R8 U H^PP^...

Ceot
Mentor
Mentor

Female President

Postby susandirs » August 10th, 2007, 4:08 pm

I think the country is about ready for a female president. On the one hand, I'd love to see a female president just because it would break a barrier. On the other hand, I don't think I want a female president just because she's female. You know? I would much rather have Mike Gravel from Alaska be the president, even though he's a straight white guy (same as every president before him) than Hillary who's a lesbian-looking woman, because I like Gravel's policies better than Hillary's.

Merit comes first, you know?
susandirs

Postby nytrmpter » August 22nd, 2007, 9:44 pm

I want Obama to be our next president. I don't mind a female pres but I hate Hillary.
nytrmpter
Regular
Regular

hill

Postby Ceot » August 23rd, 2007, 9:14 am

I don't mind a black man as a president long as he is competent.
You have to admit ,any one in office selected as an African American candidate past Obama have been lacking in heart.

And for some reason I feel like all the Representatives are Manchurian candidates all over again, but maybe thats just my distrust in politics.
As for Hilary, um...what were her views again?....

Truth is I,d prefer a female black African American president who isn't connected to politics at all...
Possible a mother of three who grew up trying to make ends meet.
Dealing with the honest tulls of life, and has no deep religious afflictions.

Getting sick of even the retarded Satanists getting more a chance then just the average Joe..
No offense...

But who the hell made Hezuse the reincarnation of Jesus any ways.

--->No not a joke against Mexicans, the Satanist guy running for president really said he was...Bah...<----

But you may ask why would you want a female president?
I don't feel their is a difference between sexes.
Just want to bridge the mother fu#(ing gap already...

Then maybe we can work on getting real people past the puppetry..

Ceot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby stephiebaby » November 5th, 2009, 8:02 pm

"Should we have a female president? "

You should have a competent president and be beyond such concerns as gender or race.

"Its that she reprisents putting away both racial and sexist blocks that have held on for so long."

No she doesn't. For starters the are many female leaders on the world stage, we do not need to wait for America. And the blocks you refer to will not be removed by a women being elected, they will only be removed by the population not caring when a women is elected. While people make a big deal about women or black people filling certain positions they are showing their subconscious surprise that someone so handicapped could achieve such lofty goals. Equality is when a person wins, and no one cares about their gender or skin colour as those things are not handicaps to overcome.

"Ceot,

I already have an idea for a Christmas present for you next year. It's called a dictionary. I'm not sure if you've heard of one before.

The word is spelled 'definitely'. "

That's it? That is all you have to say on the topic, that you are obsessed with superficial appearences and have no depth to share? This is probably not something you should advertise? As for the spelling, did you understand the meaning? That is all that counts. And don't forget that this is an informal setting, grading peoples spelling is a much greater error than incorrct spelling.

"Lastly, don't ever refer to my religious beliefs (and those of about 2 billion other people) as 'shit' again. Learn some class."

Take you own advice, being a spelling nazi on informal internet forums is completely classless. As for religions being shit, you got the numbers wrong. It's closer to 6 billion, your religion deserves no special treatment.

"(Of course, no one should ever say "definatly" because it just makes me want to hurl dictionaries at people.) "

Well since we are all being incredibly annoying over inconsequential mistakes, don't you mean WRITE? Nobody has said anything, all these messages are written. If this was a verbal forum you would have missed the opportunity to show your spelling nazism. As it is you read and understood, so one has to wonder why it matters to you?

"excuse me for the bad writting."

Don't worry about it, your posts were perfectly clear.

"I read a statistic somewhere that said that an estimated 50% of Americans would vote against an Atheist just based on that fact alone."

I'd be surprised if the number was so low, based on the image America presents to the rest of the world.

"I don't want the United States to be faced with a choice between two female, presidential candidates, because at that point it will cease to be a choice to step toward equality"

Yes, while you concentrate on gender true equality is a long way off. You should not care if there is one, two or no women candidates. But how does one woman candidate equal equality, but two doesn't? One could be tokenism, two indicates a real presence. Unless both parties tried to win the election with tokenism?

"Taking a step forward such as getting a female in office is a pretty big one"

In American culture perhaps, but not on the world stage. When a woman is elected president Americans will jump up and down saying "Look how progressive we are", and the rest of the world will say "Big deal, get back to us when a woman leader doesn't shock you". I'm sure many people here will carry on the same for our first female prime minister, and I'd give them a similar message, it's no big deal. A woman lying around like superman would be unexpected and a big deal, but a female political leader is expected and only a big deal for those who see women as somehow inherently inferior.

"I think that this country focuses way too much on trivial infomation such as race and gender and religion, and not on more valid points like intelligence and good policy"

That is certainly the image presented to the rest of the world. It's also human nature to focus on superficial sameness, it's something most people have to make a conscious effort to overcome.

"It sets an example for the countries that look to us, and it sets an example for young girls who aspire to be president some day. I know my little sister used to want to be president. She's lost interest"

I hope you're not thinking of the countries who have already had female leaders? As for your sister, why did she lose interest? Was it because she is incapable of reaching for goals without a gender specific rolemodel, or was it just something kids say and grow out of? Your sister may have lost interest even if you had a majority of female politicians and a female president. We need to raise our kids to look for role models based on ability, not on how closely they resemble ourselves. Your sister should be able to look to people as role models, not just women.

"And in a class I took last year, we discussed the trend of young girls who want to be president who also lose interest. Maybe it's because they grow up and see all the men in power. There is no female example in this country for young girls, and so we lose hope. "

America is not the world, perhaps a broader education is required? If a girl requires another female to do things first, there are plenty of places to look for female leaders.
Did your class look at how many boys want to be president but lost interest? Perhaps many children think it's a good idea because of tv exposure or parental influence, but then their attention moves on because they are children?
stephiebaby
Regular
Regular

Return to Philosophy, Religion & Politics