okay ... so ... politics, then

This is an area for the discussion of Philosophy, Religion & Politics. WARNING! Debates may become heated, Personal attacks or religious recruiting are not permitted.

Moderator: EMG

okay ... so ... politics, then

Postby fearghus » September 12th, 2015, 6:03 am

For those of us in the states ...

Who do you like in the presidential race?

And why?
fearghus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby cbarber92 » September 12th, 2015, 6:21 am

I'm an anarchocommunist myself, so I won't be voting, nor do I believe in the power of voting, however if I was to vote, the closest thing to a good candidate would be Jill Stein of the Green Party
cbarber92
Regular
Regular

Postby diode168 » September 12th, 2015, 7:10 pm

People talking about American politics. I'm just going to grab the popcorn.
diode168
Guru
Guru

Postby fearghus » September 13th, 2015, 5:11 am

diode168 wrote:People talking about American politics. I'm just going to grab the popcorn.

Popcorn is all it's worth (mostly) ...

So very hard to get politicians to talk about the real issues, the media to cover those issues, and the public to care one way or another.
fearghus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ProfessorPig » November 1st, 2015, 12:48 am

Bernie Sanders has my vote. he is not perfect, but he is the closest thing to a decent candidate i have seen in decades. he is unusually honest for a politician. and his views on many issues are pragmatic.
Being a pig is about following your desires. If you would like help following your desires, you may enjoy listening to my work. Its interesting how the most profound changes can occur when you least expect them.
ProfessorPig
Guru
Guru

Postby whome » November 1st, 2015, 7:59 am

Election season starting the year before the elections is really annoying.
Not interested in it at all.

A couple weeks before the primaries and I'll consider the qualifications of those applying for the job. Till then, I'm ignoring them.. successfully.
whome
Regular
Regular

Postby OxyFemboi » November 1st, 2015, 8:05 am

No person is ever going to be a "perfect candidate". Too much compromise needs to happen to pass any bill ... and Republicans dare not in a mood to compromise. To Republicans (especially to "tea party" Republicans), "compromise" is another term for Hobson's Choice: Do it my way or do nothing.

However, any combination of -- alphabetical by first name -- Bernie Sanders, Elizabeth Warren, and/or Hillary Clinton would most likely be unbeatable against any Republican pairing.
Peace Love Unity Respect

Ox & Honey & Yoshi & Rocky & Dave & Adam
Hypnosis & NLP are the install programs for fetishes and phobias.
OxyFemboi
Annoyance
Annoyance

Location: Johnstown, Cambria, Pennsylvania, USA, Terra (Sol III)

Postby fearghus » November 1st, 2015, 8:50 am

OxyFemboi wrote:No person is ever going to be a "perfect candidate". Too much compromise needs to happen to pass any bill ... and Republicans dare not in a mood to compromise. To Republicans (especially to "tea party" Republicans), "compromise" is another term for Hobson's Choice: Do it my way or do nothing.

However, any combination of -- alphabetical by first name -- Bernie Sanders, Elizabeth Warren, and/or Hillary Clinton would most likely be unbeatable against any Republican pairing.

When you look at the 'match ups' polls the GOP does seem to be having a tough time vs. either Bernie or Hillary
fearghus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Glasnerven » November 1st, 2015, 11:57 pm

Bernie Sanders will get my vote in the Democratic primary, and whatever Democrat we end up with will get my vote in the final election, because none of the Republican candidates are remotely acceptable.
Glasnerven
Mentor
Mentor

Postby KIY » November 2nd, 2015, 10:21 am

The ones I like tend to either lose in the primaries or are third party candidates. The Republicans have, over the course of my life, gone from people who annoy me but I sometimes agreed with, to a collection of people who scare me and want our economy arranged so that the nation's wealth goes to and stagnates with the wealthiest-- with corporations counting as members of the elite.

I'm planning on voting for Bernie Sanders in the primary, and will probably end up voting for Hillary Clinton. About all I am likely to be doing up until the election is watch the Republican Party apparently self-destruct.

(In my opinion we should have at least five major parties so that, hopefully, we won't get into this situation again. How that can be made to come about, well, I hope someone figures it out soon and implements the plan.)
KIY
Mentor
Mentor

Postby wohermiston » November 3rd, 2015, 8:59 am

I am dismayed that the federal gov't ever got to be as large as it is.
And much too invasive. And so long as it remains that way, there will be very little difference in what parties you have running. Read article 5 of the Consitution. This allows the states to take back control of the Federal Gov't by making direct changes to the Consitution. That is the last remaining chance at restoring and returning the government back to the people. There is a website convention of the states dot org if you are interested further. WOH
wohermiston
Guru
Guru

Return to Philosophy, Religion & Politics