Pirsig

This is an area for the discussion of Philosophy, Religion & Politics. WARNING! Debates may become heated, Personal attacks or religious recruiting are not permitted.

Moderator: EMG

Pirsig

Postby davelowe1977 » July 17th, 2005, 4:43 am

Hey - has anyone read 'Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintainance' or 'Lila - An Inquiry Into Morals' (Robert M. Pirsig) Obviously, the first book is internationally famous, but they are both worth a read, particularly if you are into metaphysics. I first read them when I was about 17 and found them absolutely fascinating, but this probably had something to do with my young age. Still enjoy them today though. They aren't heavy pure philosophy, more of a story of a journey with phil. insights along the way.
davelowe1977
Mentor
Mentor

Postby wannabewet » October 4th, 2005, 4:32 pm

I read Zen and the art of motorcyle maintenance when, I was coincidentaly riding my 10 speed along the same route he described in the book.

For me it was a life changing book.........no goal is too big to accomplish if you take one step at a time. Nothing is too much to bear if you can bear the next few minutes. There is a zen to doing mundane *unenjoyable* chores. I was 22 when I read it many years ago ... before his son was murdered, yet I still consider it one of the more important books I have read.
wannabewet

ZMM

Postby yeoldediapers » November 1st, 2005, 12:06 am

It is indeed a life changing book.

Problem is, read it and be ready for the change... It took me by complete surprise. I didn't know what to expect.

I also read it at a very significant time, and that I think potentiated its effects.
yeoldediapers

Postby missypuss » November 1st, 2005, 7:14 am

I havent read it but the book sounds interesting I shall have to check it out. "The road less travelled" had that kind of effect on me a long time ago..
missypuss
Guru
Guru

Return to Philosophy, Religion & Politics