Is there any reason for members to be rude to each other?

This is an area for the discussion of Philosophy, Religion & Politics. WARNING! Debates may become heated, Personal attacks or religious recruiting are not permitted.

Moderator: EMG

Is there any reason for members to be rude to each other?

Postby gurlbidesign » October 15th, 2005, 10:44 am

A simple request to move a discussion directed at the person who started the thread seems to me to be a polite way of doing it. "Would somebody move" makes me feel as if I am being ignored. And it seemed like an idle chatter subject to me, didn't intend for it to get deep or anything and it hadn't so far as I could tell. Excuse me for living.
gurlbidesign
Mentor
Mentor

Postby missypuss » October 15th, 2005, 12:35 pm

It hadnt and it was in the right place Girlbidesign..
Ignore whoever or whatever has made you feel u posted in the wrong department..
There seems to be a lot of that going on lately in one forum or another..You started your topic where u felt it fitted..
Who is anyone to question that?xx
missypuss
Guru
Guru

Re: Is there any reason for members to be rude to each other

Postby sandy82 » October 15th, 2005, 1:58 pm

gurlbidesign wrote:A simple request to move a discussion directed at the person who started the thread seems to me to be a polite way of doing it. "Would somebody move" makes me feel as if I am being ignored. And it seemed like an idle chatter subject to me, didn't intend for it to get deep or anything and it hadn't so far as I could tell. Excuse me for living.

GBD, I know the person and the situation you're talking about. I want to give some explanation in defense of the person in question. He has been a member for a long time. He often makes posts that sound peremptory. He doesn't mean them to sound that way. It's the way he writes. He and I have had some disagreement over this very issue in the past. He has no hidden agenda, he doesn't make oblique references, and he writes the way he writes.

It doesn't make any difference to me where your post was placed. Idle Chatter was fine. The "Global Warming" thread started out in Idle Chatter. (You will see a post in that thread, made by the originator, saying "Who moved my thread" or words to that effect.) Your theme would also fit in Religion, Philosophy, etc.

I think the underlying issue here is not correctness, but perceived intent. I can vouch for the writer's intent. He meant no harm.
sandy82
Guru
Guru

Postby gurlbidesign » October 15th, 2005, 2:27 pm

The intent or lack thereof doesn't change the outcome. That is why we have manslaughter charges AND murder charges.... somebody still had their day spoiled rather permanently. Another example would be my child running around in your home, he had no intention of breaking your favorite vase. Polite behavior is the oil in the machinery of social interaction and the only lubricant we have to alleviate the friction of that interaction. I will always point out rude behavior regardless of "intent" .
gurlbidesign
Mentor
Mentor

Postby sandy82 » October 15th, 2005, 2:34 pm

gurlbidesign wrote:The intent or lack thereof doesn't change the outcome. That is why we have manslaughter charges AND murder charges.... somebody still had their day spoiled rather permanently. Another example would be my child running around in your home, he had no intention of breaking your favorite vase. Polite behavior is the oil in the machinery of social interaction and the only lubricant we have to alleviate the friction of that interaction. I will always point out rude behavior regardless of "intent" .

I understand your reaction to the person's behavior. He has spoiled my day before, too.

No problem with pointing out the rude behavior. I have done the same thing, too. I was accused of "lecturing" him. I will point out this thread to him. I think that will help.
sandy82
Guru
Guru

Postby Mallic » October 15th, 2005, 6:25 pm

I'm sorry, I should have done that in a PM, sorry
[url=http://www.purepwnage.com][img:70ca72257b]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v477/TWINTURBOSkyline/ppbanner.jpg[/img:70ca72257b][/url]
Mallic
Guru
Guru

Postby gurlbidesign » October 16th, 2005, 12:46 am

apology accepted.
gurlbidesign
Mentor
Mentor

Return to Philosophy, Religion & Politics