Choosing a species...

A discussion area for people into furry files and topics.

Moderator: EMG

Choosing a species...

Postby ws29 » March 15th, 2014, 11:58 am

Hi everyone! I've long been interested in furry things and in hypnosis - I've been lurking for quite some time, but I've never really made any "real" steps towards those. As it happens, though, I finally have the time again, and I thought I'd try getting into this stuff again. There are a few fun files floating around! This one seems tempting, for example - it's sooo vicious. :) (Don't worry, I'll be careful.)

Problem is - I have absolutely no idea how to even begin coming up with a character for myself. So I thought I'd ask: How did you guys choose yours? Is there some sort of process you followed? Did you just wait for things to 'click'? (And, perhaps, do you have Any specific suggestions for me? I'd be grateful!) Sorry if this comes up a lot, I'm just totally lost over here...
ws29

Postby ProfessorPig » March 16th, 2014, 8:34 pm

you don't need a character or have to pick an animal to be a furry.

if you are set on finding a fursona you might want to try checking out a big book of animals and thinking about various animals personalities. going through the book you might find something that clicks with you. if you do find a fursona you like you don't have to stick with it forever. i have found different animals to represent me over the years. i am a different person now than i was 5 years ago so to some extent it makes sense for my fursona to change as well. when you find something thats right you will know it.
ProfessorPig
Guru
Guru

Postby MdeSiberieux » March 19th, 2014, 1:50 pm

Keep in mind, if you find yourself not able to choose one, you can also combine a few. Its not unusual to see creature hybrids, and having all of the characteristics of all the animals you enjoy can be fun too.
MdeSiberieux

Postby ws29 » March 22nd, 2014, 1:09 pm

Thank you for the advice so far! As I said, I'm rather new to all of this. If I hit on several species I enjoy, I could definitely try to combine characteristics... problem is finding those in the first place. I've always had a soft spot for sharks, even if that stretches the term "furry" a little... I think I'll start checking on animals, and seeing if anything 'clicks'.

I'm mostly worried about starting down the road to visualization, possibly having gotten some visual aids, and then, once I start to get it working, finding out the species I picked doesn't sit right with me after all. That'd be unpleasant. Not sure how realistic that particular worry is...
ws29

Postby MdeSiberieux » March 29th, 2014, 3:09 pm

Nowadays furry is a more general term. It also includes scalies (reptiles), avians, and many other species. I've seen a number of people who have shark fursonas too! Theres even a species out there that is kind of like a furry dog/shark cross (called a Sergal). People can get quite creative with their choices.

Also, your idea to use visual aids is a good one. Those will help you get a sense of what its like to visualize things with your minds eye, and raise your skills regardless of the animal you choose.

If you're worried about choosing a species, use a file called a "Trigger". These normally come with an "on/off" switch that is a phrase you say, as stated in the file. There is even a file that lets you choose whatever you want in the trigger. Just don't listen to anything with permanent effects if thats not what you want.

And if the species you want doesn't have a file, you can always commission one. For example, I had a file made a while ago, because I wanted to try out an Asian Dragon Taur form.

Hope that helps!
MdeSiberieux

Return to Furry Transformations