mildly OT: Desperately need fursuit help

A discussion area for people into furry files and topics.

Moderator: EMG

mildly OT: Desperately need fursuit help

Postby demigraff » August 26th, 2009, 12:43 pm

Hi, I'm trying to build a fursuit in a hurry. I've had no money for more than a month due to a clerical error in my payments, and now I have the money I've lost all my bookmarks. Anyone who can help will be repaid in gratitude/beer/premium-ship/paypal as appropriate.

I know its not really what this forum is for, but I'd be surprised if there isn't someone here who's done it before. The areas I need help with are:

1) I found the place for foam, but can't find what I need to cut it with. Is a craft knife good enough? I've seen sites recommending special scissors, but not where to get them.

2) How much foam (this dealer asks for width x length) am I likely to need for a torso+arms musclepad? Don't know how to work it out. (this is optional really, I'll probably have to go without if I can't get the materials before Monday)

3) Eyes. A while ago I saw a site that had 3cm plastic eyes you could mount in a mask to see through. Can't find it now.

4) Tail. Recommendation seems to be foam core, but I'm not sure if it should be the low/medium/high density foam.

5) Can I just carve and paint foam for the chunky parts of the costume (shoulder pads etc)? Again, what density of foam, and what kind of paint/glue/tools?

If possible, can some kind person recommend either shop(s) in Lancaster, or somewhere online that will deliver quickly for these things? (UK)
demigraff
Guru
Guru

Postby davelowe1977 » August 26th, 2009, 4:30 pm

1) Depends on the foam type - pm me the link. A sharp carving knife will suffice for large cuts, and a craft knife for detailed work, usually.

2) Depends on your physical size and how much padding you want. I could work this out for you. I'm a draughtsman / engineer by trade. It involves buying the largest sheet of foam available, and using the thickness (yet to be specified) to create 2D patterns to cut out so as to make 3D shapes. You might need to join pieces if the sheets are narrow.

3/4) Pass.

5) Are you wrapping the foam in some latex or outer covering? I would be very careful trying to glue any type of foam - let alone paint it. If you get the wrong stuff, it will either not glue/paint, or dissolve (both cases).

Basically, all depends on the foam type - more details....!
davelowe1977
Mentor
Mentor

Postby demigraff » August 26th, 2009, 5:44 pm

I've really set myself an impossible task here, I guess. I was supposed to be starting in April, to be finished for September, but one thing after another got in the way. Now I'm going to see this through, even if I have to work on it constantly until its done. I've spent a fair few hours on google-interrogating, and I think I'm getting closer.

1) The link I was given is smfoam.co.uk, but I'm not sure its the best choice. I might end up having to buy it in town, now I've seen some reviews of their delivery times. Apparently any "upholstery foam" should so, low density for the muscle pads and high density for the boots.

2) Foam for the torso, I'm not sure what measurements I need to take, (or what thickness foam is available if I have to buy them in town - I'll just have to take what they've got). I just want the costume to be a bit bulkier than me, the kind of carrot-shaped broad shouldered physique, so I don't look like a furry beanpole. Maybe add a couple of inches, whatever's available really. What do I use to glue foam onto the base layer? All the advice I've got is "soft upholstery foam" and "spray glue" or "hot glue" (neither of which I've used or know where to buy)

3) Eyes I think I can do cheaply, though I'd prefer to buy the nice ones if I could just find them. I know I can afford the cheap option, at least. Bottom of two drinks bottles (Tizer? Its red, at least), paint white (will ordinary gloss emulsion work?) with a circle left in the middle for the iris, then cut to fit the holes in the mask. Any obvious problems?

4) Stiff foam should work.Or, apparently, a length of chain slightly shorter than the fabric cylinder. Think I'll stick with the foam.

5) My fiancée volunteered to do the accessories now, and apparently she has some expertise in the area. So this shouldn't be as much of a problem.
demigraff
Guru
Guru

Postby davelowe1977 » August 27th, 2009, 8:37 am

http://www.twfoam.co.uk/

24hr delivery + you can get the glue there too. Lots of different foam types/thicknesses + you can specify what you want. As an experiment I ordered a 2.4 x 1.2m sheet 10mm thick and it came in at around £16 including VAT and delivery.

Use water based paint to decorate - mix powder with water or ready mixed. Should be able to get that from a kids shop or local craft shop. As the foam will be very absorbent try buying some PVA glue (cheap as chips - DIY store - Wickes etc) and diluting it down with water and coating it first. This should reduce porosity and the amount of paint you will need.

I wouldn't paint plastic with emulsion paint - it will scratch off with your fingernails. Try something cellulose based - craft shop again. There are special paints for plastic. Actually - come to think of it, those little Airfix model pots would be ideal for the eyes.

If you are feeling slightly illegal, you might want to get the patterns designed using:

http://btjunkie.org/torrent/Optitex-9-6-full-fashion-design-software/3770a18fbdac4605faa3270e19d15b6aa32b053374c7

Oh and one last tip - plastic based foam cuts easily with a hot object. There are special tools that you can buy (or you could hook up some nichrome wire to an old car battery or 12V power supply with a series resistor if you feeling really technical). Probably the easiest way would be to heat a long thin nail on a gas stove and go through the stuff like a knife through butter (hold the cooler end with a wet towel or similar). Do this in a well ventilated area though - it stinks to high hell and god knows what chemicals are released!

Good luck!
davelowe1977
Mentor
Mentor

Postby demigraff » August 27th, 2009, 9:42 am

Well, I'm in luck. A shop in the market offered a pretty big piece of half inch thick foam for 50p, so I can try that. If not, I can always abandon the muscles for now.

Eyes are back to being a problem again, as I can't find any bottles with rounded bottoms. Where else can I find suitably transparent stiff plastic?

Well, looks like I'll have to wait until tuesday anyway, when I'll have more than £3 - giving me 2 days to complete the boots, eyes and clothes.

*cries*
demigraff
Guru
Guru

Return to Furry Transformations