Female TTS voice for Ubuntu Linux?

This is a place to discuss Files you want to create, script writing, and hypnosis technique.

Moderator: EMG

Female TTS voice for Ubuntu Linux?

Postby maskedanonymity » February 25th, 2013, 3:51 am

Hi :)

I've been on the site a while now and I've found some really enjoyable files that use text-to-speech, and that got me to thinking about making my own scripts and running them through TTS. For some reason I tend to get better results from a female voice than a male one.

My question is, what do you think would be the best program to go with? Just something simple I can put a script into and play it back, that actually sounds somewhat natural, or at least intelligible.

I know there are quite a few viable choices in Windows, but I've had a bit of trouble finding anything on Linux.

Thanks for the the help :)
maskedanonymity
Regular
Regular

Postby ptnt » February 25th, 2013, 9:45 am

It's been a few years since I've used Linux so I'm not really sure but maybe you could try using Wine if you're having trouble.
ptnt

Postby demigraff » February 25th, 2013, 10:38 am

You probably want to try festival; it's almost the only TTS engine available. There are several sets of voices available. The easiest to find will be the packages names festvox-* in your common repositories, but there's a few other sets available (Like the rather excellent CMU voices) which easily work with Festival.
demigraff
Guru
Guru

Postby Endo » February 25th, 2013, 5:51 pm

There's this thing that some computer nerds I know were talking about in conjunction with Ubuntu: dual booting. From what I gather, it's when you have two OS's on the computer, one acting as the primary, and another filling in for the other's weaknesses. Ubuntu isn't too good with programs designed for Windows or iOS, so that's why they were talking about dual booting. It might be worth looking into.
Endo
Guru
Guru

Postby maskedanonymity » February 26th, 2013, 12:21 am

@demigraff Thanks a lot. I'll give that a try. :)

@endo I've dual booted a few times in the past, but I finally settled on Linux to save hard disk space, as I very rarely need Windows anyway. What you say would be useful though. I think I have an old copy of Windows xp around somewhere, maybe I'll load it. Thanks!

Once I get used to making files and using TTS I might start uploading some stuff, because I have quite a few ideas for scripts. I'm not sure if I'll get around to it, but I'd love to give it a try.

Appreciate the help. :)
maskedanonymity
Regular
Regular

Return to File Making & Hypnosis Techniques