Can I use someone else's script to make a file?

This is a place to discuss Files you want to create, script writing, and hypnosis technique.

Moderator: EMG

Can I use someone else's script to make a file?

Postby Jackstock » September 25th, 2015, 8:00 am

Am I allowed to take any script (would probably use one that has not been voiced yet) and make a voice file with it?
There are plenty of awesome scripts around that I may make into my own....
:D
Jackstock
Guru
Guru

Postby ProfessorPig » September 25th, 2015, 10:36 pm

i would guess that answer would vary from poster to poster. the best answer is to ask the poster of the script, many of them are ok with it, and some will even directly say in the description that you can record it as long as you credit the creator. there are likely some people who do not feel this way though.

i personally always ask if i am going to try re recording a file, even if its just for personal use.

its also worth noting that there is distinction of intent between someone who makes a script and never records the file, and someone who has recorded the file and just posted the script so people know whats in it.
Being a pig is about following your desires. If you would like help following your desires, you may enjoy listening to my work. Its interesting how the most profound changes can occur when you least expect them.
ProfessorPig
Guru
Guru

Postby Fizbin » September 26th, 2015, 3:31 am

Without going into the nuances of Copyright law...

Taking a script and turning it into a file for your own personal use is generally not a problem. That is the intended purpose for posting the script in many cases.

Taking that file and then trying to use it for commercial purposes could get you into trouble if you don't have permission from the author. Of course, many of the files posted here do not have notice of copyright, so...
Fizbin
Regular
Regular

Postby ProfessorPig » September 26th, 2015, 10:13 am

Fizbin wrote:Of course, many of the files posted here do not have notice of copyright, so...

copyright is automatic at the moment of creation even without registering the copyright. you only have to register it if you want to pursue legal action.
Being a pig is about following your desires. If you would like help following your desires, you may enjoy listening to my work. Its interesting how the most profound changes can occur when you least expect them.
ProfessorPig
Guru
Guru

Postby wohermiston » September 26th, 2015, 12:08 pm

That's true, but I think you have a responsibiilty to mark the work to fully protect it. this is separate from registering it with the Copyright office. The trouble with alot of the scripts and recordings made here is the natural desire for anonymity. To actually prosecute a copyright violation would require identifying your true self. WOH
wohermiston
Guru
Guru

Postby diode168 » September 26th, 2015, 10:51 pm

Your best option is just to message the person who posted it. In most cases you'll be told it's ok.
diode168
Guru
Guru

Postby Fizbin » September 27th, 2015, 4:26 am

So much for avoiding the details... LOL :) I know those things, I was just trying to keep the message short. Then of course there is the compilation copyright EMG maintains over the library of files, and the blanket warning that the posters need to own the copyright in whatever they are posting (which doesn't meet the legal requirements of notice, but is close enough for most folks). Then there is the whole anonymity issue...

Very deep rabbit hole here...
Fizbin
Regular
Regular

Postby Route42 » October 7th, 2015, 6:41 am

As others have said, messaging the script author is always the best route to take if recording for the purpose of uploading here or elsewhere.

The more interesting question is what is acceptable if the script author doesn't use WMM anymore, and/or is completely out of the hypnosis scene. IE, someone who posted a script here long ago but, for all intents and purposes, is no longer reachable to get a "yay" or "nay" from.

Maybe in that case message EMG? Wouldn't surprise me if whatever fine print you agree to when you upload files would give him OK-ing rights, especially in cases where the original script writer cannot be reached.
Route42
Regular
Regular

Postby wohermiston » October 7th, 2015, 7:43 am

And there is the issue of taking a script that is on the free side, and turining it into a a premium pay file. Though only a few authors would have that ability I presume. I think, at the very least, if the script is free, any files created should also be free to avoid controversy.WOH
wohermiston
Guru
Guru

Re: Can I use someone else's script to make a file?

Postby jockdog » June 3rd, 2016, 10:25 am

sorry to bump old thread but i have to wonder how many you ever work with copyright?

You can't just use things.

You can't just google image and take a pic and post it in your blog - it's gotta be marked copyright free and sometimes then, if it's a commerical blog or not make a diff.

You can't just use a song you found in the background of your hypno file - it has to be royalty free and even then if it's being sold or not can make a diff

You can't just take a story you like and post it to your blog ... you can reshare it if it's on a site like tumblr, but that diffrent.

some stuff you see breakin copyright is only cuz it harmelss and not worth hassle. Like fanfic stuff technicly breaks copyright but people ain't sellin them and they don't wanna spend the money on lawyers to fight it, so it's an "allowed" violation ... some stuff like weird al covered by parody etc ... there are some good reasons like education too but generally fetish n entrtainment hypno ain't gonna be covered

i would def ask before using, unless permission already given in the descrption

i also never share paid files ... if i like, i recommend, but i ain't robbin' people of what theirs and neither should you ... free files share away, they already put out free
jockdog

Re: Can I use someone else's script to make a file?

Postby Jackstock » June 3rd, 2016, 9:57 pm

Yes, very important points, jockdog. In fact, I only use copyright-free material. You can buy royalty free media from certain places, and it is NOT cheap, but it is worth it because the images look great and the music sounds great.

Also Wohermistion, you mentioned someone turning a file into a "premium pay file". Just a clarification here for anyone unfamiliar. -- all files on WarpMyMind (as of writing this) are premium for 6 months until they are free. Pay files are always pay, though
Jackstock
Guru
Guru

Return to File Making & Hypnosis Techniques