Altering male voice to sound female...

This is a place to discuss Files you want to create, script writing, and hypnosis technique.

Moderator: EMG

Altering male voice to sound female...

Postby Ladon » September 11th, 2011, 9:18 pm

When I was making the Multivoice Bedwetting file, I ran across a setting that made my voice sound VERY feminine. I was able to tweak it over quite a large range and still retain the more feminine tones. This is not, I repeat NOT a simple pitch adjustment.

There are some errors in the filter, but overall the quality is good. I was wondering if there was any call for that?
Ladon
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jeshi » September 11th, 2011, 9:49 pm

I imagine a lot of straight men out there would appreciate your ability to make files geared towards them in the voice of a "female." Also people with a thing for drag queens would probably enjoy it.
Jeshi
Guru
Guru

Postby gdrileyx » April 28th, 2012, 8:58 pm

This would be helpful to me, if you could provide details.
gdrileyx
Regular
Regular

Postby ocntrl » April 29th, 2012, 9:37 am

I am also very interested to learn that 'trick'.

Do you use Audacity?
ocntrl
Mentor
Mentor

Postby gdrileyx » April 29th, 2012, 12:43 pm

I use audacity, but can hear the pitch-change feature doesn't do that much for me. I have an odd voice. I have a huge range, that I have expanded through doing storytelling. It's a deep man's voice to begin with, but I can speak as a female well enough to pass, and work as a woman. But on the phone, even with my best female voice, most people think the voice is male, even though I am hitting the right pitch to be in the female range. I liken it to an oboe playing the same note as a violin. It's the same pitch, and the same note, but the oboe is distinctly deeper in timbre, and sounds masculine. My chest is broader, my throat is wider, my mouth is bigger, and the sound-board of my skull is shaped differently. All these unchangeable factors give me a distinctly masculine timbre, no matter what actual pitch I speak or sing in.

So I make files with my raw female voice, and then also with Audacity changing the pitch about 8% higher. It's not a big difference, but it improves the sound the most. Higher than that, it sounds like a child speaking. I have noticed, that changing the speed changes the pitch/timbre. Slowing it down, counteracts raising the pitch, even though the program tries to compensate, and mitigates the effect. So speeding it up and deepening it might raise the pitch better than raising the pitch. I just am so busy making files that are good enough, I don't have time to play around.
gdrileyx
Regular
Regular

Postby ParanoidLord » May 1st, 2012, 10:29 am

You might want to try using a parametric equalizer to do your frequency balancing. I know that womens' voices tend to have higher fundamental harmonics than men's, and making something in that range louder relative to the rest of the pitches may make your voice sound more feminine.
ParanoidLord
Mentor
Mentor

Postby gdrileyx » May 2nd, 2012, 12:42 pm

That might be it. Find the higher pitch range where my voice sounds more feminine and boost that, and damp down the lower end.

Well, not with Audacity. I couldn't find any changes with the Graphic Equalizer effect that made it sound better.
gdrileyx
Regular
Regular

Return to File Making & Hypnosis Techniques