User interface

A place to discuss file ideas, work on scripts with others, or just issue a challenge to see who can create the best file/script.

Moderator: EMG

User interface

Postby livelonger8 » July 15th, 2009, 9:54 am

This should be possible since the mind already compartmentalizes visual data - I was wondering if there are files, or perhaps this could be an idea for someone to create a file in which the listener's conscious mind receives visual highlights. That is, for instance, anything that is of a threat to be highlighted with a red rectangle - visuals could also provide stats on subconscious processes. So, essentially, if it worked, the listener would have visuals whilst conscious similar to that of a Terminator or such.
livelonger8
Mentor
Mentor

Postby davelowe1977 » July 15th, 2009, 4:16 pm

I'm struggling to understand what you mean. Can you explain in more detail?
davelowe1977
Mentor
Mentor

Postby nytrmpter » July 15th, 2009, 4:59 pm

I guess he means something like this [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ml0O-wPwsVU[/url] probably not exactly but a similar thing.
nytrmpter
Regular
Regular

Postby livelonger8 » July 15th, 2009, 6:49 pm

nytrmpter wrote:I guess he means something like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ml0O-wPwsVU probably not exactly but a similar thing.

Yes! Like that. Rather than for data to be transmitted via a feeling, but rather visually; stats based upon data appeased subconsciously, displaying threats, alerts, and other various notifications.
livelonger8
Mentor
Mentor

Postby nytrmpter » July 15th, 2009, 9:59 pm

ESPN coming through in the clutch.
nytrmpter
Regular
Regular

Postby Hypnosisdragon » July 16th, 2009, 7:03 am

Actually, I'd like to still have my feelings of danger.

Both would be good. Feelings and data, though it'd have to be triggerable, else it'd get in the way for a lot of things.
Hypnosisdragon
Regular
Regular

Postby davelowe1977 » July 16th, 2009, 9:38 am

Fascinating idea. Kind of like visual hallucinations based on your perception of people and other things?

NLP books are full of ways of interpreting that kind of thing in people at least. Where the eyes point when visualising ideas and other things. Not sure how you would make that into a file though. Sounds feasible - I hope someone makes a file.
davelowe1977
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jeshi » July 16th, 2009, 11:30 pm

It's a neat idea but very far-fetched.
using hypnosis to create a graphical overlay on your RL vision.

I don't think it would work since at least for me I find that when I follow a hypnotic suggestion I'm consciously doing it, I'm just doing it BECAUSE of the hypnosis.

So I'd think you would have to consciously keep track of whats dangerous, your breathing, your heart rate, ect, and then imagine it over your vision.

It seems like it would drive the person crazy! Hypnosis isn't magical stuff that can change the way your brain works, there is a reason they're called suggestions, because they're being suggested to your subconscious.

It's like, "I Recommend you freeze in place when you hear the trigger" and "I highly recommend you become a gay slave" to your subconscious which doesn't the filtering of your conscious and will usually take it the same way you learn and become fluent in language when you're a baby.

So I doubt "I recommend you change the way you see things so that dangerous things are surrounded by a red rectangle and that your heart rate and stats about your breathing be displayed in the bottom left corner of your vision and a map of your neurological signals on the top right corner." would work.
Jeshi
Guru
Guru

Postby livelonger8 » April 29th, 2010, 9:54 pm

Jeshi wrote:It's a neat idea but very far-fetched.
using hypnosis to create a graphical overlay on your RL vision.

I don't think it would work since at least for me I find that when I follow a hypnotic suggestion I'm consciously doing it, I'm just doing it BECAUSE of the hypnosis.

So I'd think you would have to consciously keep track of whats dangerous, your breathing, your heart rate, ect, and then imagine it over your vision.

It seems like it would drive the person crazy! Hypnosis isn't magical stuff that can change the way your brain works, there is a reason they're called suggestions, because they're being suggested to your subconscious.

It's like, "I Recommend you freeze in place when you hear the trigger" and "I highly recommend you become a gay slave" to your subconscious which doesn't the filtering of your conscious and will usually take it the same way you learn and become fluent in language when you're a baby.

So I doubt "I recommend you change the way you see things so that dangerous things are surrounded by a red rectangle and that your heart rate and stats about your breathing be displayed in the bottom left corner of your vision and a map of your neurological signals on the top right corner." would work.

I don't see how it's far-fetched. The mind already quantifies sensory data into something meaningful, and often compartmentalizes it as significant memory or a prominent process. An example of such could be when you "feel" something bad to happen for a particular reason, which ultimately occurs as intuitive - the conscious mind in this instance isn't receiving data on the cause to compute a better solution and is subject autonomous pressures. The mind also responds to changes in particular values of certain processes (e.g. the beating of one's heart), but the conscious mind receives no data feed on these underlying processes. Given the possibility of conscious hallucinations, a synthesis of the data feeds and visuals may construct a mental UI.
livelonger8
Mentor
Mentor

Return to File Ideas, Scripts, and Challenges