What's your diet like?

This is a place for the jocks to discuss the various files to make you more muscle bound, masculine, etc.

Moderator: EMG

What's your diet like?

Postby slyfox » August 2nd, 2013, 12:27 pm

Let's talk about what you eat! For dudes like me who are building muscle, it's very important that we pay attention to what we're putting in our bodies. A healthy body is a happy body!

This is a good place to ask if you're eating right, if you're eating enough, or just talking about recipes.
slyfox
Mentor
Mentor

Postby JD7790 » August 2nd, 2013, 12:48 pm

I just started designing a meal plan that I want to start using in the next couple of weeks but I quickly noticed that my choices in proteins are kind of limited.

I am slightly lactose intolerant: I can eat cheese but not too much. I can only drink a glass of milk per day otherwise I'll feel bloated. But, for some reason, I can eat all the Yogurt that I want without problems.

I can eat beef and chicken but I'm trying to find more ways to eat it than just eating it out of the pan.

I don't eat eggs, fish, pork or other kind of meat ATM. I'm working on it but I'm from a family that liked their steaks and chicken just fine so it's an adjustment.

Also, does anyone have any good recipes that are full of proteins? I'm also interested in vegetarian options. I won't switch vegetarian but I like to eat a meal that doesn't have any meat once in a while.
JD7790
Regular
Regular

Postby rigsby » August 2nd, 2013, 2:22 pm

I'm on the Nutrisystem men's plan for 6.5 days a week, with one meal (typically on the weekend) where I eat whatever I want until I'm full. There's no way I could stay on such a diet without something like that to look forward to. :D

It's ended up costing about the same as the groceries I would otherwise buy in the course of a month.
Strong mind, strong body
rigsby
Mentor
Mentor

Postby JD7790 » August 2nd, 2013, 3:20 pm

rigsby wrote:It's ended up costing about the same as the groceries I would otherwise buy in the course of a month.

How does it works? I usually don't like relying on someone else for food but that could be a big time saver for me! How much does it cost? 400-500$ a month? I haven't really checked theses kind of services before but I might if the prices are reasonable and the choice is good.
JD7790
Regular
Regular

Postby rigsby » August 2nd, 2013, 3:43 pm

JD7790 wrote:
rigsby wrote:It's ended up costing about the same as the groceries I would otherwise buy in the course of a month.

How does it works? I usually don't like relying on someone else for food but that could be a big time saver for me! How much does it cost? 400-500$ a month? I haven't really checked theses kind of services before but I might if the prices are reasonable and the choice is good.

I'm actually paying about half that amount. I would encourage you to browse around their site at least once a week or so: they periodically offer some generous discounts.

Be aware that, once you reach your target fat loss, you'll want to switch to one of their "maintenance plans" to avoid gaining it back.
Strong mind, strong body
rigsby
Mentor
Mentor

Postby JD7790 » August 2nd, 2013, 3:59 pm

rigsby wrote:I'm actually paying about half that amount. I would encourage you to browse around their site at least once a week or so: they periodically offer some generous discounts.

Wow, that's cheap. I'll check it out! I hope they ship to Canada.
JD7790
Regular
Regular

Postby WatDo » August 3rd, 2013, 10:48 pm

I find that it's cheaper to make your own things, but also time consuming too depending on how you do it. I make decent portions for me and my family, but enough for one or two leftovers for myself. Leftovers of any kind can be reheated, assuming you stored it properly. Though depending on the food, it can only last for 2 days after being made or all the way up to 7 days. My goal is to lose fat and gain muscle, and I do not plan to over-feed like most bodybuilders do so I'm not expecting to be massive. Although my stocky build is good for building muscle naturally so I might still be "cheating" a bit without having to take in a lot of calories.

My portions are fine otherwise, I eat about every 180~300 minutes only if I'm feeling hungry. It depends on how much I eat. I usually have 100-300 calorie snack sessions 2 times a day, and actual means 3 times a day that have at least 400 (800 max) calories. The trick is to balance what you love (that you know is bad for you) and what you know is good for you.

Generally in the morning, after fasting for 8 hours, the body can pretty much take anything and be more than happy to use it. Your metabolism is also at it's highest. So this is the time to pack up on things that will give you energy. Baked goods are surprisingly acceptable unless you are extremely strict. But as always, portion control and knowing what's in the baked goods is also necessary. After all, there's a "healthy" kind of baked goods and a preservative filled/fat packed/heavy in calories kind of baked goods. A muffin and greek yogurt for me since I can't seem to eat a lot in the morning. It gives me quick energy to burn off and also keeps my stupid sweet tooth in submission. I used to have a big problem with binges, but I've been doing this for a a few months now. I've lost fat and still gained muscle. AGAIN, I doubt this is OK for a super strict "I wanna be the biggest guy in the world" kind of plan.

Lunch time I go for something with pasta or low calorie multi-grain bread for sandwiches. Fruit. Maybe cottage cheese cups. Soup + salad is always good too, but soups that pack enough protein are hard to come by. High salt intake too. Nothing too hard to make or prepare for.

Dinner is where I usually go all out. Specialized homemade sauces to make the usual chicken/fish far from bland and undesired. Usually made with fresh fruit and chicken stock or water so the calorie amount isn't high. Vegetables panfried in very little olive oil and garlic or steamed. And some sort of healthy carb packed thing. All in all, there's a healthy amount of fat in the entire meal.

Snacks are protein bars, yogurt, cottage cheese cups, or something low in fat but still able to keep the hunger away. I also have my protein shake daily whether I workout or not. I only have 1 or 2 rest days depending how they line up, so I don't feel like I waste my shake mix all that much.

A few months of this diet along with my workout regiment this has made me lose 15~20 pounds (hard to tell with my scale), none of which is muscle because I can actually lift a bit more than I used to. It's easy for me to stick to because of the files and because I don't have to wait for a cheat day to get a little something. Every morning is kind of my "cheat day" and I still get results. No insatiable cravings - no problem.
WatDo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby BodyBM » August 5th, 2013, 4:44 am

WatDo wrote:I find that it's cheaper to make your own things, but also time consuming too depending on how you do it. I make decent portions for me and my family, but enough for one or two leftovers for myself. Leftovers of any kind can be reheated, assuming you stored it properly. Though depending on the food, it can only last for 2 days after being made or all the way up to 7 days. My goal is to lose fat and gain muscle, and I do not plan to over-feed like most bodybuilders do so I'm not expecting to be massive. Although my stocky build is good for building muscle naturally so I might still be "cheating" a bit without having to take in a lot of calories.

I agree with you, it is great to make our own things if we can! It's easy, cheap and you know better what you eat. I also do the same, cook my rice, meat, eggs for the next 2-3 days and store it in the refrigator in boxes. I just putzen the raw green vegs at mornings because I like to eat it freshly. Sometimes I cook for my family too, my kids love the rice and leg of chicken I cook. I'm trying to avoid satanic trans fats (margarines, mcdonalds, etc), ready-to-eat foods, foods with full of preservatives, salamies full of shits, kitchen sugars, etc. And eat much more good fats as before, olive, flaxseed, fish, etc. Also love to experimenting with "not standard" foods like calf heart, beef tongue (I cut the fat from them), and love the liver. Don't think that all animal fats are evil, just don't eat too much from them.
I just reheat my food before eat, so cooking it not an everyday task for me too.
I think you are doing it well! You lose weight and able to lift more weight = your bodyfat is lessening, your muscles are getting stronger. Sure you feel better and better. It's all that important, so I still don't give you any advice, because you are on the right way! Later you will need to change things, I know that and we will be here to discuss about and give advices, help. Everybody is different, we must find the best for ourselfs with experimenting with foods, workouts, other relation, and not just follow somebody's plan without thinking.
You are clever!

I also ate "healthy" for over years and also I was working out hard in the gym 4 times a week. I ate at least 6 times a day, my foods were: oats, eggs, fruits, raw and cooked vegetables, rice, lean meats, potatoes, natur joghurts (without sugar), cottage cheese, cheeses, lentil, peas, etc. I was satisfied, but has a few problems I always hated:
- continously felt hungry, even after 2lbs meat with a 1lbs rice, few hours later I was hungry again. Dealth with the never end of feeding, with much food boxes at workplace, made me crazy.
- if I skipped meals (other urgent tasks) I felt very weak in the gym, I was craving after carbs
- I was able to exhaust my energies easily with a hour workout, even I ate a lot all day long.
- bulking, cutting.

We want to be bigger with low bodyfat, healthier, more energetic, so sure we must supply ourselfs with high energy fuels like carbs and good fats. Proteins are too expensive (for me) to use as notable energy source. There is ways to utilize the bad ("unhealthy", high GI) carbs to make us leaner and stronger. Soon I will show (and shock you) my meal plan.

Contirune-
BodyBM
Regular
Regular

Postby rigsby » August 5th, 2013, 2:14 pm

I ate at least 6 times a day,

Yes. This.

Human beings evolved to eat approximately six small meals, not to go without for hours and then gorge in the evening. Of all the single things you can do to improve your eating habits, this one has to be the most effective.

If getting hungry between the more frequent meals is still a problem, you can always fill up on green veggies.
Strong mind, strong body
rigsby
Mentor
Mentor

Postby BodyBM » August 5th, 2013, 4:25 pm

rigsby wrote:Human beings evolved to eat approximately six small meals, not to go without for hours and then gorge in the evening. Of all the single things you can do to improve your eating habits, this one has to be the most effective.

If getting hungry between the more frequent meals is still a problem, you can always fill up on green veggies.

Eheh yes 6 times per day, right! I eat 5-6 times per day just because I can't feed myself with ~3500-4000 calories just by 2-3 meals, I must bisect them. For me no small meals, just big meals!

My current regime I have been using for months (not for gym beginners):

Fasting, from prev day 9pm.
- 5:30am wake up
- Black coffee (without sugar) 6am, 8am, 10am. Thanks, my stomach is doing well.

under eating phase:
- 1pm my first meal: a lot green vegetables, meat, 25ml (0.85 oz) oil mixture (olive/flaxseed/few fish,etc)
- 2pm 4-6 boiled eggs with 250g (8.8oz) cheese, some vitamines, oil mixture (0.8 oz), 1 tomato, few raw garlic
- 4:30pm (preworkout supp. sometimes), coffee with cream no sugar, sometimes ON whey (on hard days)

Workout
- 5pm my workout
- 6pm my post workout shake: 50g (1.8 oz) ON whey, ~50-80g (2.8 oz) dextrose, (5g creatine)

over eating phase:
- 7pm 2-3 spoon diluted cidar vinegar (for help digesting), after 250g (8.8 oz) jasmice rice, 3 banana
- 8pm 250g (8.8 oz) jasmine rice, few meat, sometimes pizza, some vitamine, fruits, chew a lot of raw garlic (I can hunt out my wife from the house with garlic, she doesn't know it is the main purpose I use it. Just kidding)
- 9pm 250g (8.8 oz) lean curd cheese, or cottage cheese, diluted with a bit water and drink. Few oils.
- 11pm few bicarbonate of soda with water
- 12pm go sleep

I drink a tons of water, tea (herb, earl grey no sugar). I can't drink the industrial "plastic milk" because I got heavy stomach cramps but I can eat dairy products. Also able to drink few milk that came directly from the cow.

Is it shocking? Sure, seems extreme but I just love it!

I'm experimenting with "intermittent fasting" and "carb back-loading" methods, for me the combination of this two works the best. I love it soo much I don't think I will return back to "normal" eating habit anymore.

The main directives:
- Start with 10 days recalibration phase (high fats, low carbs, high proteins), only once, at start (force the body to switches over its primary energy source from carbs to fats)
- No carbs during the day before workout
- Fasting 14-16 hours a day (high ghrelin, hgh, etc. production, no spend energy for continous digesting, the nervous system stay on alert, feel energic, etc).
- Eat a lot of proteins, good fats, green vegetables for lunch just to stop the fasting, it is the under eating phase. This gives nutritions and enough energy to the following heavy workout.
- Only high GI carbs after the workout (jasmine rice, some junk foods like pizza, cookies), it is the over eating phase. All muscles glycogen stores replenish as fast as possible, high insulin spike and after goes down fast, so high hgh production at night is possible.

Disadventages:
- First two weeks the recalibration = hell! Almost no carbs: weakness, heavy crave after carbs, headache episodes. It is hard physically and mentally too, but after the body switches over to fats, feel fantastic energetic!
- My friends, family members are still in shock about my eating habit. Sometimes they tries to "break my balls" to eat with them like a "normal" people. Of couse "no way and shut up!", I tell them.

Adventages:
- Feel energic and good as never before, I can't destroy myself physically, I do workouts 7 times weekly. Fats are powerful energy sources! Also no more feel sleepy after a good lunch.
- Don't feel hungry at all (just sometimes at morning when before I had a long night with my wife :-P)
- Don't have to potter with fooding myself all day long as before I did, my first meal on a day at 1pm and really simple. At workplace I'm much more productive.
- My bodyfat cut down continously, my bodyweight increasing a bit, I'm getting stronger at every day
- My recovery time decreased with hours, now it's about 5-6 hours/day sleep is enough.
- I can eat foods I love just after my workout: pizza, jam filled sweet roll my mother-in-law makes (till I had fortune and she didn't put cyanide into that), but at most I eat jasmine rice.

I will tell its science, now just wanted show something new way I have been using with excellent results.
Why do you think that the continous feeding is good for us? Digestion needs a lot of energy (we can get sleepy after meals and unproductive), and our nervous system calms down because we got food, don't need to go for hunt our lunch, so force us to be lazy.
BodyBM
Regular
Regular

Postby slyfox » August 6th, 2013, 2:12 pm

rigsby wrote:
Human beings evolved to eat approximately six small meals, not to go without for hours and then gorge in the evening.

Not necessarily. We don't know for sure what kind of eating habit is most beneficial for humans, mostly because it tends to vary from person to person. Eating six small meals a day is good for bodybuilding because you're ensuring that you get adequate calories without feeling like you're going to burst from eating 2-3 large meals. Intermittent fasting, however, has also proven to be effective. Others thrive on the three-square-meals diet.

It's more effective to focus on your macronutrient balance and caloric intake rather than meal frequency. For the most part, it doesn't matter too much when you eat; it's more about what you eat and how much.
slyfox
Mentor
Mentor

Postby rigsby » August 6th, 2013, 3:07 pm

slyfox wrote:It's more effective to focus on your macronutrient balance and caloric intake rather than meal frequency. For the most part, it doesn't matter too much when you eat; it's more about what you eat and how much.

Totally agreed that "what" and "how much" are both more important than "when," dude.

But if you look at most people of the same age and with similar health backgrounds, the ones who eat six small meals a day are less likely to take in excess calories than the big-meal eaters, because in general they don't feel as hungry when it's time to eat.
Strong mind, strong body
rigsby
Mentor
Mentor

Postby BodyBM » August 6th, 2013, 4:01 pm

rigsby wrote:
Totally agreed that "what" and "how much" are both more important than "when," dude.

But if you look at most people of the same age and with similar health backgrounds, the ones who eat six small meals a day are less likely to take in excess calories than the big-meal eaters, because in general they don't feel as hungry when it's time to eat.

Generally I agree with you guys!
Everybody is different and also has a different life cycle. The six planned small meals is good for bodybuilding, and the best eating plan for beginner gym rats.
I used that for years (>10) and it worked even I had few undesirable effects with it I told in some of my prev. post. For me bulking is not a big deal (I can grow 10lbs monthly very easily), but after cutting the b.fat to lower level with two jobs and a family without lose all of my muscles I grown, was a big challenge. Too big morsel to me, do it I mean naturally.

I love experimenting in all ways, also ran intermittent fasting and loved that. Anyway my family had a big resistance agains it and I listened to them.. I was wrong! How many times I let myself divert.. Never more!
Before few months I read Kiefer's book about carb backloading and it made me thinking I can go further of him and I combined his meal concept with IF. Now I'm doing this combination and I can say only positives from this, now I know it helps me a lot to reach my goal physicue, I can cut my bodyfat while getting stronger and easier than before it was, without any negative affect on my jobs and family life (except to continous chirrup from family members, but I don't give a damn). For me it is simply perfect.
Of course I really didn't want to persuade anybody to try/do this, just I showed a thing of interest to You, as I wrote.

In relation to carb backload the most important is the "when", and is uses only high GI carbs after workout. These high gi carbs spike the insulin level and with already full muscle glycogen stores it puts all of the carbs into fat cells, so generally we try to avoid of them from our meals.
The concept in carb backload that we eat carbs only after workouts, and replenish muscles glycogen stores as fast as we can (possible only with high gi carbs), just when muscles needs the most, and after lets the insulin level down to zero as fast as possible, so hgh production at night could be possible with full power (little insulin level kills hgh production). So there is just one big insulin spike on a day, it has anti inflammatory effect, so after the workout its high level helps in muscle regeneration.
Intermittent fasting also uses fasting to stimulate hgh production. Under fasting our nervous system stay in alert, "prepare us to hunt for food". And also there are a lot of other adventages has.

So if we snack something low gi carbs (oats for example) before go to sleep, our body keep the insulin production on a low level (not let it down to zero) till the carb absorbs. This insulin level is enough to disables the nightly hgh production in our body. Hgh is the best chem to help us to grow lean muscles and burn the fat out.

It is just little fragment from the entire science that CBL and IF eating methods have. I think very interesting concepts, and for me the combination of these two is working.
And as I told, NOT for beginners, rather for an experiment lover gym rats like me.

Sure for some of you it is all seems too scientific and far away from the real life. Maybe all I need is to let myself dumbing down and use the regular and tested "dumb gym rat" eating plans and just let myself grow! :-D
Is somebody there who take upon oneself to dumb me down? Really I'm sure sometimes it could feel fantastic. Ehehehe
BodyBM
Regular
Regular

Postby JD7790 » August 6th, 2013, 9:58 pm

BodyBM wrote:
Is somebody there who take upon oneself to dumb me down? Really I'm sure sometimes it could feel fantastic. Ehehehe

For me, I'm done with skyping other tists online. I don't trust them anymore. But if someone wants to make a temporary dumb file to play with, I'm game!

To go back to the nutrition subject: I'm going to Seattle at the end of the month and I'm looking for restaurants where I can eat that are relatively healthy. Any advices? I'm not from the US so I don't know the restaurant chains except for McD (not eating there) and Subway (maybe...)
JD7790
Regular
Regular

Postby WatDo » August 7th, 2013, 1:16 pm

JD7790 wrote:
BodyBM wrote:

For me, I'm done with skyping other tists online. I don't trust them anymore. But if someone wants to make a temporary dumb file to play with, I'm game!

To go back to the nutrition subject: I'm going to Seattle at the end of the month and I'm looking for restaurants where I can eat that are relatively healthy. Any advices? I'm not from the US so I don't know the restaurant chains except for McD (not eating there) and Subway (maybe...)

Olive Garden is good as long as you stay away from the heavy sauces and breadsticks. They have a "under 550 calories" section too which is very good for what it is. Soup and salad is always good combination too since their dressing is olive oil based and not creamy.

Apple Bee's is also great and reasonable. They have quite a decent selection of shrimp or chicken things that are under 800 calories, some are under 550. Stay away from the red meats.

Wendy's... It's technically fast food, but their food is all natural in a sense, so there are no fatty/salty/gross fillers in their meats. No processed foods. Their chicken sandwiches are good, or their salads. Even better, their salad dressing taste great and are low in calories/fat. So basically their grilled chicken is the way to go and you can get a meal with a bottle of water and swap out the fries for a salad.

Some Asian Cuisine. Sushi is always a good option if you like raw fish. There are also usually some sort of grilled chicken options too. Just look at the menu first. Though this kind of thing is a hit or miss, nothing in between.

Subway's is OK, but you're still going to be eating a lot of white bread. If you're OK with that, then Subway's is fine. Though all in all, it's good to get as long as it's not dinner since tons of carbs before bed = bad idea for losing fat.

Not Friendly's.
Not McDonald's.
Not Burger King.
Not Fudrucker's.
Not Panera's.
Nothing Mexican/Spanishy.

You should just use google and see what's around if possible when you get there.

rigsby wrote:
slyfox wrote:It's more effective to focus on your macronutrient balance and caloric intake rather than meal frequency. For the most part, it doesn't matter too much when you eat; it's more about what you eat and how much.

That's true. I try to eat at least 6 times a day, and by eating every 2~3 hours I can ensure that without every getting the gut-grumbles. Also, stuffing your face leads to gas and. . . That's not good for your appetite. . . Or good for the people around you.

In the end we really don't know how we should eat. But constantly eating small amounts make sense. Even if you eat enough to keep your body fueled, there is still always boredom hunger to worry about. You eat and eat and eat, but don't know when to stop. Luckily there are actually alternatives to getting rid of it without consuming tons of calories. Like eating popcorn, lollipops, or consuming a ton of water.
WatDo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby slyfox » August 7th, 2013, 10:35 pm

JD7790 wrote:

Yelp is your friend :). I would say stay from major chains and go for more local fare. Especially in a big foodie town like Seattle.
slyfox
Mentor
Mentor

Postby BodyBM » August 10th, 2013, 1:52 pm

WatDo wrote:In the end we really don't know how we should eat. But constantly eating small amounts make sense. Even if you eat enough to keep your body fueled, there is still always boredom hunger to worry about. You eat and eat and eat, but don't know when to stop. Luckily there are actually alternatives to getting rid of it without consuming tons of calories. Like eating popcorn, lollipops, or consuming a ton of water.

Sorry guys!! I was wrong all about, I didn't intend to make you confuse!
My diet is special and really works for me, but in my opinion for you the BEST meal plan is just eat clean and enough:

- Eat enough protein, carbohydrates and good fats and enough fibres. Drink enough water at every day (at least 1 gallon, better more in heavy heat days).

- Eat at least 6 times a day, at morning, ten-hours, lunch, afternoon snack, dinner, before sleep. After your workout you can use whey protein supp.

- Eat healthy foods only (just thise come into my mind):
* carbs: oatmeal (morning), sweet potato, rice, rather green vegetables, some carrot, tomato, fruits, whole grain cereals, grilled pumpkin, popcorn (but don't buy the butter flavoured, that diacetyl chem is a true poison in it)
* protein: lean beef, calf, turkey, tuna, chicken, whole eggs, milk, peanut butter, few bean and lentils, PEA, lean cheese, nature yoghurt (without +sugar), good also before go sleep (casein!) : cottage cheese, low fat curd cheese.
* fats (don't fear of good fats!): oils: extra virgine olive, flaxseed, fish, coconut; seeds: almonds, pumpkin, sunflower, nuts

- Stay away from simple sugars, trans fats (margarines, wafer biscuits, etc), sweet fruit juices (much fructose), foods full of preservatives, ready-to-eats foods, cheap salamies full of shits. Stay away from much alcohols, but few can be rather good. Eheh

- Rest enough!!

- Supplements are okay: whey protein, vitamines, oils I mentioned above up.

Everybody is different, you must check always how you reacts (bodyweight, strength) and manipulate your meals and its quantity for your goals. For bulkin, eat more, for cutting: cutting back mainly from carbs.

So ask bravely if have any question or you are still in confuse about something! :)
BodyBM
Regular
Regular

Return to Jocks and Masculinization