How much can you lift?

This is a place for the jocks to discuss the various files to make you more muscle bound, masculine, etc.

Moderator: EMG

How much can you lift?

Postby snailser » October 15th, 2013, 4:34 pm

I know this is kind of a weird thing to ask, but I was wondering how much anyone can lift. I would like to know the amount of weight for any exercise you regularly do, bench press, curls, deadlifts, how may pushup you can do ect.

I would also like to know how long you have been working out or listening to hypnosis to help you, and what files you think have helped the most.

Right now I have been working out since last May. I weight 145 lbs, and can bench 140, curl 30, deadlift 170, and can do only 7 chin ups. I know its not much, but at least its a start.
snailser

Re: How much can you lift?

Postby joecomp2000 » October 16th, 2013, 4:57 pm

snailser wrote:
Right now I have been working out since last May. I weight 145 lbs, and can bench 140, curl 30, deadlift 170, and can do only 7 chin ups. I know its not much, but at least its a start.

Arnold said ...the moment you lift a weight or do an exercise in an effort to change ..is the moment you are a body builder...

at 145 a 170 deadlift is pretty good...
that being said .. I recommend that your really focus on doing it right..
Deadlifts can be great for adding size... how ever most people do them wrong..
If you really want to get big .. drop that in half and do really strict form.. concentrate on where you feel the movement . .

benching body weight is great ,, I used to max on a bench at about 405
but I went too heavy too often..and it caused a shoulder issue...
If I had to do it all again ,,,I would go with higher reps , good control and max out once a month tops ....cycle between benching and machines ...
the question is do you want to get big or max reps... in both cases maxing out is where you get injured ...and it is the person that constantly works out injury free that grows the most ..

I am older now and go for higher reps 20+ range .. good for the joints harder to make progress..
as far as hypno..I used it for psyching my self out .. and to push concentrating on form... and finally for resting .. I use an induction to shut the brain down..15 minutes once and I am out for the night ..
looping a script is not sleeping.. but an induction just moves you toward sleep.
joecomp2000
Mentor
Mentor

Postby joecomp2000 » October 16th, 2013, 7:29 pm

go to bodybuilding.com and they have videos on how to do any exercise ...
I recommended it if you have any questions..
remember lifting heavy is Ego ...lifting right is progress
joecomp2000
Mentor
Mentor

Postby joecomp2000 » October 23rd, 2013, 8:41 pm

hope I didn't scare you away... I think you lift are impressive for your weight ..
joecomp2000
Mentor
Mentor

Postby MN_FriendlyGuy » October 24th, 2013, 3:05 pm

The suggestion about browsing the website Bodybuilding.com was excellent.
    It's excellent because the "BodySpace" section makes it easy to track workouts and progress. That feature is unavailable here on the WMM site.

"BodySpace" is also excellent for checkingout the routines, reps, and weights for other members. Check it out - aware that WarpMyMind is the source for hypno mp3s - a feature you won't find on BodyBuilding.com.
The original posting asked:
    How long you have been working out or listening to hypnosis to help you, and what files you think have helped the most.
Even though I'm no longer bodybuilding, the gym is still my second home. It's been that way for about 20 years.

I've been guiding trance for bodybuilders since 2006. It forces me to be authentic - true to myself.

And even someone who can do only 6 chin ups knows what that means. They know that the guys who just sit around dreaming about muscle ain't being authentic.

MN_FriendlyGuy
Guru
Guru

Postby lew897 » October 24th, 2013, 7:07 pm

I weigh 120 pounds and only do free weights. So my max is at about 60 pounds of anything. It took me about six months to get a routine that fits perfectly for myself. But I like it that way since it allows me to be good at everything physical. What I like to think Im best at is yoga, but I can run pretty fast. So Im just happy being aware of my physical body. I do think weight lifting is a must though.
lew897
Mentor
Mentor

Postby snailser » October 30th, 2013, 4:32 pm

Thanks for the advice, those sites are really helpful.
I started lifting weights this Summer, but kept stopping and starting again. Right now I'm trying to remain constant and not randomly quit for a month for no real reason.
Also I know I asked about weight lifting, but I just wanted to see what people were doing and how much. I don't honestly care what type of exercise it is.
snailser

Postby joecomp2000 » November 1st, 2013, 8:27 am

Snailser....
I mean only to encourage and help you avoid some of the mistakes I made..

as far as motivation goes... let us face facts the more progress you can see the more you will be motivated..

going for max every day doesn't move you forward ..
but say you do 3 sets for 12 ..and next week 3 sets 15,14,12 respectively ... that is a nice rate of return
joecomp2000
Mentor
Mentor

Postby 5HA99Y » November 2nd, 2013, 8:36 pm

um im not sure what all the machines are called but the ones i can remember
ill can tell you what i can lift

1. leg press-435lbs
2. squats-285lbs ( 2x45lbs,25lbs, 10lbs,5lbs and 2 1/2lbs on each end plus i think the bar is a 15lbs bar)
3. biceps curl-60lbs
4.chest press(?)-220lbs
5.the other type that works the backon the chest press machine-180lbs
6. standing side crunches-50lb kettlebell
7. incline crunch with weight-45lbs

these are what i can think of right nowand i do about 3x10-15 depending on how i feel after work.
5HA99Y
Mentor
Mentor

Postby slyfox » December 7th, 2013, 3:41 pm

Bro, it's not a weird question at all. This is a typical jock question, in fact. However, there's a big difference between how much someone -can- lift and how much someone regularly lifts.

For instance, here's what I can lift for one single rep:

Squat - 275lbs
Bench press - 245lbs
Deadlift - 375lbs

But I rarely if ever go that high in my lifts because I have no reason to. As a bodybuilder, I focus more on the feeling of my muscles during the lift and the time under tension, that is, how long I can prolong the stress on my muscles.
I tend to stay within a range of five sets for 8-12 reps and lift as much weight as I can handle within that range. If my last couple reps are hard as fuck to complete, and I feel like I couldn't possibly do one more, then I know I'm doing it right.

I wouldn't recommend this kind of intensity though for a beginner. Work on improving your strength first. DO SQUATS.
slyfox
Mentor
Mentor

Postby bdmike » December 9th, 2013, 9:05 pm

slyfox wrote:Bro, it's not a weird question at all. This is a typical jock question, in fact. However, there's a big difference between how much someone -can- lift and how much someone regularly lifts.

For instance, here's what I can lift for one single rep:

Squat - 275lbs
Bench press - 245lbs
Deadlift - 375lbs

But I rarely if ever go that high in my lifts because I have no reason to. As a bodybuilder, I focus more on the feeling of my muscles during the lift and the time under tension, that is, how long I can prolong the stress on my muscles.
I tend to stay within a range of five sets for 8-12 reps and lift as much weight as I can handle within that range. If my last couple reps are hard as fuck to complete, and I feel like I couldn't possibly do one more, then I know I'm doing it right.

I wouldn't recommend this kind of intensity though for a beginner. Work on improving your strength first. DO SQUATS.

QFFT!

And nice max on the deadlifts. I wouldn't know my 1rep max, but nowhere close to that. you sound like someone who knows to control form right though.
bdmike

Return to Jocks and Masculinization