Shutting down the conscious mind?

A place to discuss the files and hypnosis in general

Moderator: EMG

Shutting down the conscious mind?

Postby Slipstream » October 9th, 2006, 2:03 am

I'm sure this question has come up and been answered before, but I didn't find it through searching the forums, so you'll have to forgive me for repeating it.

I find that I can reach a very relaxed state through cardigan's Deep Trance (works best for me) - my body goes completely limp and almost unresponsive, and my mind isn't thinking about a single thing but the sound of the hypnotist's voice. And that's the problem - somehow it's as though my conscious mind's focusing so much on his voice that it refuses to shut up and let my subconscious take over.

Despite what the inductions all tend to say (listen to the sound of my voice etc) are you supposed to somehow ignore the hypnotist and zone out? I'm only trying to get cardigan's itchy foot file to work, which is pretty simple, so I think it's more my not reaching trance than trying too difficult a file that's at fault. Deepeners don't seem to be any more effective - I'm still so focused on that voice that I can't seem to go under. Any advice, please?
Slipstream

Postby Jack » October 9th, 2006, 6:03 am

You don't say it, but it reads as though it's internal dialogue that's holding you back. Instead of talking about what you're listening to(whether it be vocally, or internal dialogue), make an effort at repeating what is being said in whichever of those two it is that's distracting you.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertrand Russell
"By doing certain things certain results follow." A. Crowley, Book of Lies
"Dum spiro, spero." - Cicero
Jack
Guru
Guru

Postby arose » October 9th, 2006, 10:11 am

Well said, Jack. You can't be consciously observing and thinking "is this trance" and go into trance. In order to go into deep trances that "conscious observer" has to relax and lay off. Let it happen and let go of internal questions like "am I in trance" and it will happen.

Hope this helps..
arose

Postby Kanibal » October 9th, 2006, 1:15 pm

I do that without thinking, Just randomly Ill ask myslef that and runin the whole thing, it really can be difficlut not to.
Kanibal
Regular
Regular

Postby manager_richy_2007 » October 9th, 2006, 4:40 pm

This is a case of "mind over mind". Here are some tips that may (or may not, depending on your brain) help you get under better...

1) Don't concentrate on the voice. It seems like that keeps your concious mind on top. Instead, try simply hearing it. This may cause your concious mind to give up on keeping you focused to an un-desireable extent.

2) Your body is unresponsive, and that is a good sign. If any changes cause that to change, stop the new changes and try something else. The un-responsivness is a sign of your concious mind partially letting go.

3) It seems that you may be a very analytical thinker: everything MUST have logic. You need to drop the logic during hypnosis. There is logic in hypnosis, but not the kind your concious mind wants. Don't think at all, because it will cause your mind to question the logic, simply because it is a different kind of logic.

4) Try staring at something moving slowly. A spiral or a fire/candle. That can be mesmerising and cause your concious mind to let go.

--Dan

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know anything, I just copy other peoples answers from other posts. I'm basically looking through the forums and posting answers from the same questions that are answered earlier in time.
manager_richy_2007

Postby Kanibal » October 10th, 2006, 8:49 am

I have this glass globe thing with LED's underneath it, its menat to play a pattern and soothing sounds to help ypu sleep, if I turn the sound off and get it to slowly pattern the colours would that work :?:
Kanibal
Regular
Regular

Postby Jack » October 11th, 2006, 8:07 pm

Possibly.

Have you made any effort to follow my suggestion?
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertrand Russell
Jack
Guru
Guru

Postby Slipstream » October 12th, 2006, 2:13 pm

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I haven't managed to enter trance yet, but I can feel myself getting deeper every other time I try, so I know it's only a matter of time and perseverence.

Jack - I'm not sure what you mean about internal dialogue, but repeating the hypnotist's words in my head seems to be helping. I don't think it's down to internal thoughts of my own. There's these occasional moments when I suddenly think "Oh, I just went deeper" but they pass quickly enough.

richy - I think you're right about my being an analytical thinker, so I'm trying out inductions more geared towards that type of person such as the confusion one and Blink's Erickson-styled one, which seem a little more effective. I'd try staring at something, but pretty much every induction on the site requires you to close your eyes after a while.
Slipstream

Postby Jack » October 12th, 2006, 5:16 pm

Internal dialogue means talking inside ones head.

I'm glad the advice you've gotten has helped you further along the road. Keep it up.
Jack
Guru
Guru

Postby Blink » October 12th, 2006, 7:25 pm

Slipstream wrote:...I'm trying out inductions more geared towards that type of person such as the confusion one and Blink's Erickson-styled one, which seem a little more effective.

Mention my name....

You're getting some very good advice on this thread already. I'll just offer you a reminder and a trick you might try.

First, remember that you're only trying to reach your subconscious mind by getting around your critical faculty. You don't need to lose consciousness to get there. Because you want trance, you are more receptive to the suggestions for it. Relax. Keep trying.

Second, if you're finding that your internal dialogue (therapist-speak) or your internal monologue (actor-speak) is distracting you, then go ahead, give up and listen to the voice in your head. You can pay attention to how sleepy that voice sounds. Have you ever heard that voice yawn before? It's your voice in your head. Have it read you a bed-time story. If you're really adventurous, you can visualize the reel-to-reel tape recorder that the voice is playing from. Reach out and press your finger to one of the reels and listen... to... what...

happens...

...next....

-- Blink
Your brain might be all-digital with sleek, seamless cases. Mine has mint-green enameled cabinets with bakelite knobs and little etched tags riveted on.
Blink
Guru
Guru

Return to General Hypnosis