Intentional distraction

A place to discuss the files and hypnosis in general

Moderator: EMG

Intentional distraction

Postby safari_al2 » July 4th, 2008, 11:14 pm

I've heard that it's best to let your mind wander while listening to files to induce a trance. However, I find it hard to not focus on the files; that's what's giving me the most trouble with hypnosis.

Does it work to distract yourself by counting backwards, or conjuring up some daydream fantasy? I haven't tried this yet, but I hope it helps get me to trance.

Also, does keeping the file on a lower volume work?

thanks.
safari_al2

Postby CycoMelody » July 5th, 2008, 12:24 am

I have used distraction in the past to help get into trance. Try reading a book, looking up stuff online, even watching tv. You can also try repeating the words of the file in your head as you listen. It will help you to trance a little easier :)

Start with an induction and keep at it!!! Good Luck :)
You define your reality!
CycoMelody
Guru
Guru

Postby whatthe75 » July 5th, 2008, 2:46 am

Distraction is a very useful hypnosis aid.Quite a few techiques involve distraction as there main tool.

BUT concentrating on the words of the file is not a bad thing.Different things work for different people.Whether your concious mind listens ot not,your unconcious is listening and thats all that counts.
whatthe75
Guru
Guru

Postby Blink » July 5th, 2008, 8:06 am

whatthe75 wrote:BUT concentrating on the words of the file is not a bad thing.Different things work for different people.Whether your concious mind listens ot not,your unconcious is listening and thats all that counts.
You're exactly right.

There's a lot of noise and confusion about trance inductions. This might be the right quiet Saturday morning for me to reduce some of the volume. Perhaps, to extend the metaphor, to bring down the static to a quiet whisper in the background.

People confuse inductions with incantations, as if there is some magical arrangement of words that will make you drop deeply into trance, now. There is a way of talking that will bring on trance, but it's not the way that you think. Not now.

There's a misconception that the conscious mind needs to be distracted or bored or disengaged or sleeping for trance to occur. It goes hand-in-hand with the misconception that trance and relaxation are somehow linked. Though you might not believe me now, and there's no need for you to, I can tell you this anyway. There's no need to relax now. There's no need to pay attention or not pay attention.

Whether you're paying attention or not paying attention, you're getting the message. Your subconscious mind is reading the words or hearing the words and processing them for you long before your conscious mind is ever aware. If you think that you're overly analytical, it is because that is how your subconscious presents information to you. There is no experience that you have that is not first managed for you -- entirely -- by your subconscious mind. The attention or inattention of your conscious mind is immaterial. If you are reading this or if you are listening, your subconscious is getting what it needs.

Even the dialog that you're having with yourself now as you discuss with yourself how this post applies to you or doesn't apply to you or how you agree or disagree is generated entirely by your subconscious mind. And as you realize the truth of that, there's no need for the conversation to continue that way. Is there?

And as your subconscious responds to the words you're reading, you can begin to understand that it is precisely the interaction that your subconscious is having with me, now, that is the essence of trance.

Trance is nothing more than the response of your subconscious to these words. Or some other words. And you can choose the words you want to respond to.

And only when you really, deeply, honestly understand that distinction will you be free to enjoy trance. And even if you're only beginning to understand, now, that means that you will understand more and more deeply and meaningfully over time. You know how to learn. You always have. All your life.

You can realize that there isn't anything that you need to do. There isn't any special state you need to achieve. There isn't anything more or less than right now. And you can realize that part of this message has been meant for your conscious mind, and that part of the message can help put you at ease. And part of this message has been meant for your subconscious mind, and that part can help you to understand more and more deeply how you get what you want.

And it's the goal of every hypnotist on the site to give you what you want.

And whether you need what you find or you find what you need, I encourage you to take a few moments now to consider. And I welcome your sincere response.

-- Blink
Blink
Guru
Guru

Return to General Hypnosis