Isolating brainwaves through hypnosis?

A place to discuss the files and hypnosis in general

Moderator: EMG

Isolating brainwaves through hypnosis?

Postby lettuce » October 23rd, 2008, 5:24 pm

I found this old, but interesting article:
http://www.dominionpaper.ca/arts/2003/09/12/new_brain_.html

If you don't want to read through the whole thing, I'll sum up the important parts: Scientists have found a way to increase musical creativity by isolating theta brainwaves. Unlike the method people here should be most familiar with, binaurals, they train people to increase their theta brainwave activity through focus, and providing feedback when the machine detects that this is achieved. Thus, you are simply trained to go into a specific state of mind, just that you have a machine to tell you what's the right state of mind.

Well, this article got me thinking. I would be in the market for such a machine, but even if the article stated where to get one, it probably wouldn't be that easy. But there are other ways to mess with brainwaves. For example, if someone made an .mp3 that uses a theta wave binaural beat while instilling a trigger to make the subject return to the same state of mind, only conscious, could that work? Or are there better solutions? Or is it something that probably wouldn't work at all through hypnosis?
lettuce
Regular
Regular

Postby MN_FriendlyGuy » October 24th, 2008, 10:34 am

Just to be clear...

You've provided information about brainwaves in the Theta range and an entrainment benefit that was observed.

And you've asked whether the language area of the brain (alone) can be activated in the same way - generating an observable entrainment benefit.

Unequivocally, yes.

The example that comes to my mind first is the documentary A Class Divided. Elementary students are separated into two groups based on eye color. When children hold the perception they're in a group that's smarter, faster and better - their test results change to match the expectation. When children hold the perception they're in a group that's dumber, slower and inferior, their test results change too... for the worse.

WAIT! There's More
When we consider factors that make a hypnosis mp3 effective, I believe (as opinion) that adding binaural beats in the Theta wavelength to a recording increases its effectiveness.

When the mind is invited to relax two ways simultaneously - by the words of the hypnotist and by binaural beats in the Theta range - the listener is able to activate more of the resources they hold within their mind.

And that's a darned good reason for downloading a binaural version of a recording rather than the normal version.

And if you'd like to learn how it's possible for sound/music to "invite" your mind to reach the desirable Theta range, check out this Wikipedia article on binaural beats: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binaural_beats.
MN_FriendlyGuy
Guru
Guru

Return to General Hypnosis