Accidental triggering?

A place to discuss the files and hypnosis in general

Moderator: EMG

Accidental triggering?

Postby Fizbin » November 16th, 2010, 9:55 pm

Silly question:

There are several files on this site with well-known triggers, which I studiously avoid using in correspondence. I was wondering, though, how likely is it that in writing a description of one's vacation that you could inadvertently include a more obscure trigger phrase?

I've always been prone to composing fairly vivid descriptions. I would hope my reader could at least get a sample of the experience I'm writing about - like being on a cruise, or walking through the woods - but never anything deliberately "hypnotic" as far as triggers or inductions. (I suppose a case could be made that any well-done description is intrinsically at least state-altering, but could that actually be a trigger for something more?)
Fizbin
Regular
Regular

Postby Fizbin » November 17th, 2010, 8:56 pm

OK, lots of views, 4 poll responses, and no actual replies.

Maybe I shouldn't have added the poll. (It was an option, so I figured "why not?")

I was really more interested in actual discussion about accidental hypnosis (of others), what might lead to it, and how to prevent it while still being able to "draw" a compelling word picture. Is it even possible, or is any description that can put a reader into the scene by definition hypnosis or trance?
Fizbin
Regular
Regular

Postby Jeshi » November 24th, 2010, 11:54 pm

I think there was some file somewhere that made it so all triggers would only take effect if it was obvious to the person being triggered that the trigger was intentional. So "Goodnight I'm going to sleep now" wouldn't activate a trigger that's "Sleep Now."

There was only one occasion that somebody used a trigger by accident and then I hit my head on the table and woke up, so they didn't think anything of it. But after that I use The Enchanted Keyboard file to make it so I could only be triggered intentionally. This is very useful with files where the trigger is something like "Good dog" because then you don't start rolling around when your friend is showing you their dog.

Really though I imagine that it would take a lot of conditioning to make it so somebody was triggered against their will by accident in public by somebody that didn't know anything about hypnosis. I think right as they were being triggered they would think "This is a horrible time for that to happen and I know they aren't trying to trigger me!" and it would get overridden.
Jeshi
Guru
Guru

Return to General Hypnosis