Help with contrary mind

A place to discuss the files and hypnosis in general

Moderator: EMG

Help with contrary mind

Postby bookreader231490 » August 7th, 2013, 12:49 am

I have a lot of trouble falling into trance. One of the things I think is most in my way is that a part of my subconscious is constantly trying to one-up whatever hypnotist I'm listening to. There's always a voice in my head analyzing the techniques used by the hypnotist. Like, in some files the hypnotist has several voice tracks going at once, and this voice always triumphantly points out that the tist is just trying to confuse me in the chaos.

I think it's the same part of my mind intentionally does the opposite of what the tist says. For example, a lot of the time they'll say something like "pay attention only to the sound of my voice." Usually, I'll be doing that right up until they say it, and then my mind won't stop listening to the sound of the fan, or the cars on the street.

Any idea how to get around that part of my mind? I've already tried repeated listening, it helps a little, but more like it helps me get kinda deep in spite of that part of my mind, rather than dismissing or ignoring that part.

Any help would be really appreciated.
bookreader231490

Re: Help with contrary mind

Postby Nate80 » August 7th, 2013, 10:58 am

bookreader231490 wrote:I have a lot of trouble falling into trance. One of the things I think is most in my way is that a part of my subconscious is constantly trying to one-up whatever hypnotist I'm listening to. There's always a voice in my head analyzing the techniques used by the hypnotist. Like, in some files the hypnotist has several voice tracks going at once, and this voice always triumphantly points out that the tist is just trying to confuse me in the chaos.

I think it's the same part of my mind intentionally does the opposite of what the tist says. For example, a lot of the time they'll say something like "pay attention only to the sound of my voice." Usually, I'll be doing that right up until they say it, and then my mind won't stop listening to the sound of the fan, or the cars on the street.

Any idea how to get around that part of my mind? I've already tried repeated listening, it helps a little, but more like it helps me get kinda deep in spite of that part of my mind, rather than dismissing or ignoring that part.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Sounds silly, but try asking that voice for permission.

If your Subconscious is vocalising so directly, next time you're about to listen to an audio direct your focus to where the voice usually comes from and ask it if it would be ok for you to listen to, and let the audio work. you may want / need to propose an initial, deliberately failing listening for screening purposes.

Then, and it may take practice, whenever the voice pipes up or tries to distract you, acknowledge it (avoid thanking it as this could reinforce the interruptions), and ask if there would be a problem following the instructions / permission to let it work.

I have found on several occasions that while the conscious mind is up for hypno, the subconscious may not be.
It may be worth discussing the matter internally (direct questions at the voice, and just waiting for a reply). Be polite and respectful (1: it is yourself after all and 2: it may be doing it for reasons it feels are justified. for example fear of losing control or secondary gain)

That you're getting vocalised objections / blocking is a good sign your mind is capable of communicating more directly with you. just may need some practice to make it two way.

hope this helps.
Nate80
Regular
Regular

Postby Foxfuz » August 7th, 2013, 10:47 pm

I sometimes have this problem as well, how I get passed it is by: telling my subconscious to focus on the hypnotist and the hypnotist only, if I ever do have a thought pop into my head I remember to attend to that thought after the hypnosis track is done, and when I do get a thought in my head I catch it and bring my focus back to the hypnotist.

Hypnosis is all about focus, if you lose focus then hypnosis won't work to well for you.
Foxfuz
Regular
Regular

Use Indirect Suggestion

Postby Calimore » August 14th, 2013, 1:52 pm

Perhaps you should try Blink's Induction or another indirect induction to practice with until your mind learns that it actually wants to trance? My own 'You are not Being Hypnotized' induction might work as well, since your subconscious seems to like being contrary...
If you only Believe in Hypnosis, It can Change Your Life.
Calimore
Guru
Guru

Return to General Hypnosis