Breathing issue

A place to discuss the files and hypnosis in general

Moderator: EMG

Breathing issue

Postby astaradu » December 18th, 2005, 2:26 pm

This problem has always been with me, since I was little. But I can never completely get relaxed, or in a trance. Because, when I'm trying to relax, my throat seems to get tight and I have to take a huge breath through my mouth, sometimes multiple times just to get rid of the choking and panicing feeling. I can still breathe - but it's discomforting and slightly terrifying.

Anyone know how to overcome this issue?
astaradu

Postby missypuss » December 18th, 2005, 3:20 pm

Sounds as if u start to experience a panic attack.. the best I can say say is if u start to feel this way then instead of fighting it find a paper bag.. make sure u have one nearby just in case.. and breathe through that til the feeling subsides.. but if u are experiencing the symptoms of a panic attack then lay off listenin to the files til youve sorted out the root cause..! Seek out someone who can help u through these feelings! Hope this helps.x
missypuss
Guru
Guru

Postby astaradu » December 18th, 2005, 6:35 pm

This is in no way related to the files - it happens all the time; when running track, when sleeping, when playing games, when watching TV, anything.
astaradu

Postby missypuss » December 19th, 2005, 1:16 am

Seek out someone who can help.
missypuss
Guru
Guru

Postby Jack » December 19th, 2005, 4:54 pm

You've got options.. and you can figure all of them out if you think about it.

To me it sounds like you need some form of therapy. Whether that means psychotherapy or hypnotherapy is up to you.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertrand Russell
"By doing certain things certain results follow." A. Crowley, Book of Lies
"Dum spiro, spero." - Cicero
Jack
Guru
Guru

Postby Phoenix-D » December 20th, 2005, 12:07 am

Ok, first thing to do is see a doctor and make sure there's nothing physical going on. Because that sounds like either a panic attack..which doesn't make sense given when it happens..or something that's irritating your throat and making it constrict. Could be allergies, could be an chronic infection, could be a lot of things..
Phoenix-D
Regular
Regular

Postby tercota » December 20th, 2005, 12:26 am

I can get a panic attack from almost anything. I'm taking zoloft right now, which has helped tremendously. If I'm not on it, I'm almost guaranteed to experience the initial symptoms every night. Shaking, upset stomach, sometimes the panic feeling along with it. Paxil worked great too, but it's addictive, and really hard to get off. I would definately see a doctor.
tercota
Regular
Regular

Postby missypuss » December 20th, 2005, 1:11 am

If you start taking huge breaths through your throat to allay that panicked feeling~ you are probably just exacerbating the breathing problem. Id recommend you try breathing in through the nose and out through the mouth! Have you ever been checked out for asthma?
missypuss
Guru
Guru

nurse puss

Postby gork151 » December 20th, 2005, 10:52 am

you are a woman of many facets miss puss -- hmmm just visualized you in a white nurses outfit ! good advice as well...
gork151
Mentor
Mentor

Postby missypuss » December 20th, 2005, 12:36 pm

Why Gork .. my friend and confidant.... thankyou....... I just happen to have one hanging in the closet..white, tight, pvc of course!! :wink:
As for the advice .. its the mom in me .. I go into mom mode and just want to mop that brow and hold the sick bucket ... while your head rests in my bosom..... :twisted: x
missypuss
Guru
Guru

Same problem

Postby jun » December 20th, 2005, 8:51 pm

Hewwo.

Just thought I'd mention that I too suffer from a similar problem when trying to go into trance (especially when laying down)

The first thing that came to my mind, when it happened to me, was a mild form of sleep apnea. I don't sleep terribly well and am constantly waking up due to breathing problems so I figured this was just a somewhat-awake version of my sleep problem.

If I had to describe it, I'd say I either get so relaxed that my air passage closes enough to be noticable, or after a period of time in one position something makes me need to breathe differently (mental or physical, I know not) It's rather vexing since it would be so much easier to go into trance if I wasn't

reminded of my breathing. >.>

Anyway... as has been suggested, a little research and maybe a trip to a doctor might be in order. ^^

Something that has helped me in the meantime, however, is finding a comfortable way of laying (or sitting) that keeps my throat straight and open. If, like me, you suddenly feel as though breathing is a problem it could be the catapult sending you into a panic attack. Relax and try to remember that... even if you're not thinking about breathing, your body will try to do it on its own anyway. ^^
jun
Regular
Regular

Postby TheKnife » December 21st, 2005, 1:28 pm

Jack wrote:You've got options.. and you can figure all of them out if you think about it.

To me it sounds like you need some form of therapy. Whether that means psychotherapy or hypnotherapy is up to you.

Doesn't hypnoteraphy require him to be in trance?
TheKnife
Regular
Regular

Postby missypuss » December 21st, 2005, 3:16 pm

No but Hypno"therapy" does.. :wink: I think Jack was just saying that he should work out whats giving him the breathing problems before listening to the files..
Same as I was.. if he choses to use hypnotherapy ...one would hope that he would be sensible enough to use a registered practitioner... I think thats what Jack meant.
At least if a "breathing" issue occurs in trance then the practitioner has ways of bringing him up and out of it.. perhaps even helping him to breathe through the experience..and getting some way towards helping him find the root cause of the problem..
missypuss
Guru
Guru

Postby Jack » December 21st, 2005, 4:11 pm

Not only that, but trance doesn't necessarily require relaxation. Let alone full body relaxation. Relaxation is just one method of helping the developement of a trance.

Missypuss was correct in saying that the reason I suggested hypnotherapy in part was due to the hypnotherapist being able to respond(unlike a recorded file) and either utilize your response or relieve you of that experience.

Also, you could seek out a practitioner of NLP who could help you resolve this issue in a way that the response you were having might even become a resource that will help your future.

All I can say for sure is this: Unless you find some way to work through this on your own, you need more than any of the files currently on this website can provide for you. It may happen that EMG(or someone else here) records a file that takes you all the way down, deep into a trance without you having that response.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertrand Russell
"By doing certain things certain results follow." A. Crowley, Book of Lies
"Dum spiro, spero." - Cicero
Jack
Guru
Guru

Return to General Hypnosis