types of medications that can assist with hypnosis?

A place to discuss the files and hypnosis in general

Moderator: EMG

Postby KneelAndSubmit » January 22nd, 2015, 11:59 am

I can't say I'd recommend being under the influence of anything while trying to use hypnosis, goes for both the hypnotist and the subject(s).

The biologist in me will tell you that the names of drug classes, for example hypnotics, are not named as such because they'll help with hypnosis, but because they create a sedative state when they work properly. I'd also suggest that the effect of drugs on people can vary depending a wide variety of factors, and if you need to use drugs to spice up your hypnosis experience, that you're doing it wrong.
KneelAndSubmit

Postby JackDrago » January 22nd, 2015, 4:48 pm

I have tried hypnosis on a variety of medication because of my disability. Most downers will make me trance harder. On Xanax I pass out and don't hear the suggestions. On Baclofen/Somacid or most other muscle relaxer I trance very hard but don't fall asleep (Though I do sometimes have hypnotic amnesia about the content of the file afterwards. )

Of over the counter stuff, the only one that actually works is benadryl. Good old diphenhydramine, like you use for seasick medicine or cheap antihistamines. You trance much deeper, and it enhances your ability to visualize as a side effect. Not very strong, but not likely to make you pass out during trance either.

Single best medicine for trancing is only legal in some states. Medical marijuana is allowed in a number of US states and Canadian provinces for certain chronic illnesses. If you qualify for legal use where you are; it achieves strong hypnotic results for some people, though you may find that it makes it hard for some people to pay attention.
JackDrago
Guru
Guru

Addendum

Postby Calimore » January 23rd, 2015, 12:12 pm

Charles Manson started slipping members of "The Family" scopolamine, a potent belladonna alkaloid which causes suggestibility that can even induce anterograde amnesia in larger doses. Several such alkaloids can be used to increase a subject's ability to take suggestion but it seems scopolamine is the strongest of that family of drugs.

Dentists have recently discovered that nitrous oxide can make subjects about twice as suggestible than normal. One noted dental practitioner combines nitrous oxide with NLP so that, after two or three treatments, the patient can get the same effect as receiving 30% nitrous breathing from a mask hooked up to nothing but bottled air.

Light doses of opiates or even a glass of wine or beer can make a subject more receptive to suggestion. Marijuana has already been mentioned, but it is also interesting to note that cannabidiol (CBD) might be the chemical most responsible for helping a subject to better accept suggestions. THC itself can make subjects more difficult to hypnotize as they become less able to focus their attention when the dose increases.

The important thing to remember is that trance is a normal state of consciousness in any healthy human brain. So drugs which significantly impair brain function are generally detrimental to hypnosis.
If you only Believe in Hypnosis, It can Change Your Life.
Calimore
Guru
Guru

Postby ProfessorPig » January 24th, 2015, 1:47 pm

+1 for calimores response.

i am curious if anyone here has used scopalamine patches available for sea sickness in their hypnotic explorations.

i will also add that from my own experiences with marijuana and hypnosis that if you are not careful you can link these states. this can cause you to enter a deep trace state when you smoke and make it harder to enter trace when you are not smoking.
ProfessorPig
Guru
Guru

Postby JackDrago » January 25th, 2015, 9:07 am

ProfessorPig wrote:+1 for calimores response.

i am curious if anyone here has used scopalamine patches available for sea sickness in their hypnotic explorations.

i will also add that from my own experiences with marijuana and hypnosis that if you are not careful you can link these states. this can cause you to enter a deep trace state when you smoke and make it harder to enter trace when you are not smoking.

As a person who needs medical marijuana for other reasons I can confirm this. If you are far enough gone to have to be a pothead all the time; chances are you will have trouble trancing without it. Of course, if you do that much weed, chances are that you are never or only rarely without it.
JackDrago
Guru
Guru

Return to General Hypnosis