Recording scripts

A place to discuss the files and hypnosis in general

Moderator: EMG

Recording scripts

Postby goldragon_70 » February 16th, 2006, 9:43 pm

I'm thinking of recording some scripts, and I would like suggestions on a good mic, or a good type of mic (the room my computer in is not always free of traffic), and suggestions on a good recording program (preferably free).
In my dreams I once said, "Ahh, Yes, but how many minds does my one mind hold?".
goldragon_70
Guru
Guru

recording scripts

Postby Justmeandyou » February 16th, 2006, 10:43 pm

Use your standard microphone with your computer, and download audacity. That program has everything needed to create great recordings, I use it for my recordings that I sell. You will have to follow all download rules closely. Audacity can be downloaded free from softpedia.com .
Justmeandyou

Postby goldragon_70 » February 17th, 2006, 11:39 am

Ty for the information. BTW, would it be better to use a microphone that is attached to head phones, so as not to cause problems with the level of your voice chaning if you have to move, or are they more trouble then they'r worth?
In my dreams I once said, "Ahh, Yes, but how many minds does my one mind hold?".
goldragon_70
Guru
Guru

Microphones

Postby PhyllisKRue » February 17th, 2006, 1:35 pm

Hi!

I use a mic attached to headphones and then clean up the recording with GoldWave. I also add background with Neuro-Programmer 2.

Hugs
PK
PhyllisKRue

Postby WinterRose » February 25th, 2006, 6:48 am

Note: When recording with headphone microphones, be sure you don't get a headset with plastic on plastic moving joints. I got some lovely headphones from Radio shack a while back, only to find that the things made the most awful creaking and clicking sounds into the mike. (My previous lovely pair met with an accident. Mike got dunked in coffee. DOH!) Even with one that doesn't creak, you still have to watch out for noise generated by the movement of the mike when your head moves.

When recording, you may wish to disconnect from your computer any speakers that operate under their own power. They tend to feedback a whine into the computer that bleeds into your recording.

When recording into your wave editor, you may wish to be as persnickety as I am when recording. When reading from a page or a script, you are going to flub a line every now and again. Some rather odious professional hypnoteuses don't even bother to edit these out. But they could be jarring to your subject. Try not to worry about the flubbed line and just read it over again, picking up where you left off. You can always edit the flub out after you're done recording when you go over it.

Invest in a foam cover for your microphone and try not to speak too closely into it. Hard consonants and plosives like T's K's and especially P's can momentarily max out your audio input and make your recordings sound most unprofessional.

Try playing around a bit with noise reduction and the inherent bass boost in your sound card to see what your best mix is. A sort of sweet spot that lets you edit out background noise or hiss without making you as quiet as a mouse. If you can get a mike with noise reduction in, so much the better.

If you're lucky, you live in a place that isn't going to pick up too much background noise from outside. I'm in a place right now that's GREAT for recording in the middle of the night. But during the day, I'm on a street that gets a lot of traffic. Many's the time I've been in the groove, and some trucker on the incline outside throws his hydraulic jack brakes on. >_<!! Some of those same professional hypnodommes don't even bother to edit out truck noise, or horns from nearby trains going by. Something to keep in mind So make sure you set aside some quiet time.
WinterRose

Postby Jacara » February 26th, 2006, 9:20 pm

I'd also love to know if there are microphones that have less "buzz" or just better sound quality.
As for the recording, I use Goldwave - it's shareware but it doesn't stop you from doing anything that the registered version does. I love it so much I registered anyway (the only shareware I ever paid for).
Goldwave lets me edit out the goofs (including when an ambulance goes by) and clean up the buzz (the noise-reduction effect is awesome), or the buzz isn't noticeable if I overlay the script with peaceful music or a binaural sound.
Jacara
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Recording scripts

Postby homerj1620 » February 27th, 2006, 10:19 pm

goldragon_70 wrote:I'm thinking of recording some scripts, and I would like suggestions on a good mic, or a good type of mic (the room my computer in is not always free of traffic), and suggestions on a good recording program (preferably free).

A standard mic would do fine in combination with the free Audacity.

My favorite mic, though, is the Sennheiser Evolution e835. It's an excellent live mic, and does very well for recording too.

http://www.music123.com/Sennheiser-Evolution-e-835-Dynamic-Mic-i85314.music
homerj1620
Mentor
Mentor

Postby bilijana » March 6th, 2006, 5:24 am

I have a question regarding these recording programs

I have Cool Edit Pro myself and one thing I find frustrating is that there is no keyboard shortcut to record. Does Goldwave or Audacity have a keyboard command to record/stop?
bilijana
Regular
Regular

Postby Jacara » March 9th, 2006, 11:09 am

I had to check because I never use the keyboard shortcuts in Goldwave, but yeah it does (if you count Ctrl-F9 / Ctrl-F8 to be "shortcuts", they're not exactly easy to remember or hit with one hand).
Jacara
Mentor
Mentor

Return to General Hypnosis