New Induction Available

A place to discuss the files and hypnosis in general

Moderator: EMG

New Induction Available

Postby Blink » August 29th, 2006, 6:25 pm

Here's something of mine to play with. You can download a shortened version of my basic induction....

Update 9/28/06: I've just uploaded the full version to the Files page. It contains all the material from the script, sounds better and runs about half the file size of the trial version. With it available, I'm disabling the link to the Abbreviated version.

I know that the audio quality takes a bad turn as you get to the end of the file, but I was putting this one together in a bit of a hurry using my desktop mic. When I get my good mics into the new workspace, I'll try to run up a better version. When I've got a really good one, I'll submit it here.

Try it and tell me what you think.

When you give me feedback, good or bad, I get better at what I do. If there's any interest, I'll do more.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

I'm seeing the download counter climb, but I'm not getting any feedback. I'll wait a few more days for responses, then I'm killing the link.

-- Blink
That reminds me of a story....
Last edited by Blink on September 28th, 2006, 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blink
Guru
Guru

Postby deathjdstn » August 31st, 2006, 2:19 am

i enjoyed it and it worked well for me :)
deathjdstn
Regular
Regular

Re: New Induction Available

Postby willingsub » August 31st, 2006, 3:00 am

Blink wrote:Update: I'm seeing the download counter climb, but I'm not getting any feedback. I'll wait a few more days for responses, then I'm killing the link.

Aren't you being a bit quick to judge here? You've only had four downloads this week, I'm assuming since your post yesterday. People may download it but not have an opportunity to listen and respond right away. As you no doubt know, most people need to have some time on their hands and a suitable atmosphere to be able to have results from hypnosis, especially if they want to give you well informed feedback. You might want to give people a chance to actually listen and get back to you before you start talking about killing the link for lack of feedback.

(btw no, I haven't downloaded your induction.)
willingsub
Regular
Regular

Postby sarnoga » August 31st, 2006, 5:27 am

I have to agree with willingsub. I have downloaded it and had hoped to give you some feedback but have not had the right opportunity to give it a fair listen before I do. As of yet I only had a chance to listen to it when I was busy doing other things and had to pause it several times. I figured you would rather have some real feedback than some halfassed feedback after listening to it the way I did.

But since you seem so eager, here is my halfassed feedback from my halfassed listen.

It sounded interesting enough that I want to wait for the proper time to give it a real try. Voice and overall quality were good. Does it work for me? I haven't a clue yet. One thing was obvious; you spent a lot of time and energy making that. Shame to do that and not have the satisfaction of letting others enjoy what you have created.

Sarnoga
sarnoga
Guru
Guru

Re: New Induction Available

Postby Blink » August 31st, 2006, 6:03 pm

willingsub wrote:Aren't you being a bit quick to judge here?

Thanks for your prompt response.

The actual count is 25 downloads since I posted the link (Tuesday through Friday the same week, there had been four downloads prior to that), which, considering I'm demanding that people leave this site and download an unknown file from an unknown provider is pretty impressive to me.

The threat to kill the link was childish, manipulative and petulant and really beneath me. It worked like a frickin' charm, however. Changes to the content of the file in the next revision will be based on responses from people who have actually listened, though.

I'll describe the file for you, in case you are thinking about giving it a try. It's an Ericksonian induction with some very general, very positive bits. There are no posthypnotic suggestions, other than the final instruction that allows listeners to either wake fully at the end of the recording or to turn off their sound equipment and go to sleep. I've gotten good feedback about using this file to help with insomnia. The induction is structured to work better with repeated use.

Thanks again for your comment.
-- Blink
Last edited by Blink on September 1st, 2006, 9:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Blink
Guru
Guru

Postby Blink » August 31st, 2006, 6:25 pm

sarnoga wrote:It sounded interesting enough that I want to wait for the proper time to give it a real try. Voice and overall quality were good. Does it work for me? I haven't a clue yet. One thing was obvious; you spent a lot of time and energy making that. Shame to do that and not have the satisfaction of letting others enjoy what you have created.

Thanks very much for your kind observations.

I encourage you to listen repeatedly. I do want your impressions of the quality and efficacy of the file over time, but I also wanted to get the first impressions of new listeners.

The track is designed to be used at any time, but it has proven to be especially good before bed. I'm not worried at all if you fall asleep while it's playing. I suggest listening with headphones. A previous listener to the full version reported waking up in the morning with amnesia for listening to the recording, but kept discovering his headphones and CD player neatly put away.

Scripting the induction initially did take a while. This version is cut out of a significantly longer script. The full version runs about 40 minutes from start to end and is 37.5 megabytes in its current, awful state. It's a bear to move across the 'net and the recording is pretty awful. There was an electrical interference problem that has been sorted out, along with some other environmental issues.

This iteration was recorded in one take directly into Audacity. The only editing was a bit of noise reduction. The sound quality does deteriorate over the course of the recording, so that's one thing I know to address in the next revision.

Thanks again for your interest and please do write again when you've had a chance to give the track a real try.

-- Blink
Blink
Guru
Guru

Postby Blink » August 31st, 2006, 6:28 pm

deathjdstn wrote:i enjoyed it and it worked well for me :)

Great!

If there were any parts you thought were especially good, I'd like to know. If there were any parts you think I could have done better, I'd really like to know about those.

-- Blink
Blink
Guru
Guru

Postby Jacara » August 31st, 2006, 7:29 pm

I just downloaded it too, I'll listen when I go to bed tonight.

I listened to the first few seconds, and found that the volume was a bit too high when you recorded it, so it's a little off the scale (so it's distorted). You'd get better quality if you turned the mic volume down.

I shrunk the file on my system too, just to save hard drive space :P

I'm looking forward to hearing it, and I'll let you know what I think tomorrow :)
Jacara
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Blink » September 1st, 2006, 4:41 am

Jacara wrote:I listened to the first few seconds, and found that the volume was a bit too high when you recorded it, so it's a little off the scale (so it's distorted). You'd get better quality if you turned the mic volume down.

That's good input. Thanks.

The decent (though not great) mics are still across town, but I'm hoping to pick them up this weekend. I was using the plastic desktop mic that shipped with my computer. I normally only use it for dictating to the voice-recognition software, and that has demanded that the volume be cranked to the sky. A big part of the motivation to re-record is the known problem with audio quality.

Once I've got solid input on the trancework, I'll adjust the script and re-record. That's when I'm hoping to accelerate my learning curve with the recording process.

Thanks again for your feedback.

-- Blink
Blink
Guru
Guru

Postby Jacara » September 1st, 2006, 7:37 am

That style of induction isn't for me, but your voice is great. :) If it works for some people then keep it as-is. (except to watch the volume like I mentioned before).
I assume part of the technique was to confuse the mind a little, but for me I kept trying to work out what I missed. Like I remember thinking, "wait, what was the first Lesson? I didn't get that. And what did it have to do with putting his hand in cold water? WTF did he do that for anyway??" so I focused way too much on analyzing it. I guess I go more for the "you are getting sleepy" approach, rather than the "There once was a guy who got sleepy.." approach :lol:
Jacara
Mentor
Mentor

Postby arose » September 1st, 2006, 7:38 am

Loved it. One of my issues with recorded hypnosis files is after a while I know them by heart and anticipate what is to be said next. This works against truly letting go and enjoying the experience. Also, my mind tends to wander (not in a good way) when I know the induction by heart.

This particular format really alleviates and minimizes these problems. As for the audio quality I was so entranced by it I didn't even notice anything! :oops:

I also loved the permissive ending as I do enjoy listening in the evening and have issues with insomnia.

Well done, Blink!
arose

Postby Blink » September 1st, 2006, 3:23 pm

Jacara wrote:That style of induction isn't for me, but your voice is great. :) ...I guess I go more for the "you are getting sleepy" approach, rather than the "There once was a guy who got sleepy.." approach :lol:

Thanks for your kind words. I'm sorry the nondirective induction didn't work for you. I really like working with that format and I usually have very good results with it. It's usually pretty good with people who describe themselves as resistant. I'll keep your comments in mind and look over the more classically-styled induction scripts I've got.

I like playing with different styles, so I might have to cook something up for you.

-- Blink
Blink
Guru
Guru

Postby Blink » September 1st, 2006, 3:42 pm

arose wrote:Loved it. One of my issues with recorded hypnosis files is after a while I know them by heart and anticipate what is to be said next..... This particular format really alleviates and minimizes these problems. As for the audio quality I was so entranced by it I didn't even notice anything! :oops:

Thanks very much for your kind words.

One of the things I've enjoyed doing in playing with longer format inductions is seeding certain reactions and then using nested loops and oblique suggestions for amnesia to keep the body of the file out of consciousness. If you're getting trance, a recording really can be made to seem new every time you listen. I'm glad there was enough meandering detail and misdirection preserved in this abbreviated version to give you a sense of that.

arose wrote:I also loved the permissive ending as I do enjoy listening in the evening and have issues with insomnia.

Well done, Blink!

I can't remember where I first encountered that style of ending (probably means it was a skilled hypnotist who showed me :) ), but I've made it a part of all the recorded trance material I've done. The "I don't know, but you do" is pure Erickson. The more easily my work fits into your day, the more likely you are to listen to it. The more you listen to it, the better it works.

Thanks again for your praise. If you notice anything that needs my attention as you keep listening, please let me know.

-- Blink
...and just begin to relax.
Blink
Guru
Guru

update and a question

Postby arose » September 3rd, 2006, 10:50 am

Just a quick update. I continue to enjoy this file. This is easily my favorite induction/style that I have come across. I have listened to it at bedtime the last 2 nights and I have drifted off to sleep effortlessly (monumental achievement for this insomniac). I wake up in the morning to find my earphones on my bedside table and the ipod turned off by me though I have no recollection of doing it! 8O Thanks so much for sharing the file. I hope you continue to produce more files in this format.

I'd love to learn more about this style of induction/deepening. Are there any resources you recommend, Blink?

Thanks again!
arose

Re: update and a question

Postby Blink » September 3rd, 2006, 1:51 pm

arose wrote:Just a quick update. I continue to enjoy this file. This is easily my favorite induction/style that I have come across.

Flattery will get you everywhere. I'll take credit for putting pieces together, but the style was developed by Dr. Milton Erickson. I've probably stolen bits and pieces of stories, too. It's impossible not to. I've had pretty good success with the nondirective work, though I'm finding out here that there are people who have a strong preference for the authoritarian induction style. (Why, having been here for a while, did I not guess that?)

arose wrote:I have listened to it at bedtime the last 2 nights and I have drifted off to sleep effortlessly (monumental achievement for this insomniac). I wake up in the morning to find my earphones on my bedside table and the ipod turned off by me though I have no recollection of doing it! 8O Thanks so much for sharing the file. I hope you continue to produce more files in this format.

I'm glad the recording is working for you. Now you see why I don't respond in the "am I just falling asleep" discussions. If you weren't wearing headphones, and putting them away on command, you'd probably think you were falling asleep during the recording. You're actually falling asleep within about five or ten minutes after it ends. I've regularly gotten that response with the full 40 minutes. I'm glad you're getting it with the short version.

I've got the booms and the mics here. I should be recording in mono by the end of the weekend. I don't have the rest of the equipment for the workaround I've been doing to get stereo recordings, but I'm not sweating that. It will happen. Of course, now that I've got the minimal equipment here and it's a holiday weekend, I'm getting a sore throat. Fate. Eh? Just gives me more time to come up with a good script and an excuse to sip Irish coffee all day.

arose wrote:I'd love to learn more about this style of induction/deepening. Are there any resources you recommend, Blink?

The biggest-name pioneer in nondirective hypnosis was Milton H. Erickson, MD (of Phoenix, Arizona). "Ericksonian hypnosis" is often used as a synonym for nondirective hypnosis. There's actually a lot of good information in the Wikipedia article on Dr. Erickson. The problem you'll have with learning more is that Dr. Erickson and the organization he founded were pretty much convinced that lay hypnotists had no business messing around in people's heads. You can find books and journals in any good university library (or through Interlibrary Loan), and there is a lot of material written about Dr. Erickson that's available in the popular press, but the best of the good stuff is restricted. You'll have to either be a licensed professional or be in training to become one to get the audio and video. There is a little bit of audio on the Internet, but it's extremely hard to find. There are books that lay out his work in detail, though, so you can still get quite a lot of good stuff if you put in the effort to track 'em down.

There is good news. When Richard Bandler and John Grinder were developing Neurolinguistic Programming, they looted Dr. Ericksons's work. (Any NLPers reading this need not get huffy. I mean "looted" in a totally positive, Johnny Depp drunken-pirate-revel sense. Really.) There are more books on NLP than you can shake a library card at, and they're all available to anyone who'd care to track 'em down. Now's your chance to read up on Anthony Robbins.

NLP was something of a fad through the '90s, so there is still a lot of information floating around the 'Net. You might even find someone who's still training. (There was a time when Bandler was getting US$1500 per person for the entry-level training. The field was that hot and his name was that big.) A friend of mine who has the NLP practitioner certification has said that you can't throw a rock without hitting a certified practitioner from one of the fly-by-night schools that sprang up in the early '90s, "so throw that rock hard."

If you (or anyone reading along) would like some specific recommendations. PM me and I'll send you a few book titles.

Thanks again for your comments.

-- Blink
Blink
Guru
Guru

Postby joshfircand » September 6th, 2006, 7:01 pm

Greetings!

Just a note to say I came across your post here, and your file, and was certainly interested enough to download it and give it a try.

On a first listen, from someone who doesn't slip easily into trance, it was quite pleasant and nicely relaxing. I quite enjoyed the approach, as well, though I found myself noting places that corresponded to oblique instructions. I wouldn't say I went into trance, but it was indeed, as I said, pleasant and relaxing, so I shall be happy to give it several more play throughs in the future.

As a side note, however, I noted the section that made mention of 'the most pleasant dreams' ... 'that you can never quite remember'. Since I frequently lucid dream, and frequently remember my dreams, both the pleasant ones and the unpleasant, and this fact has been a highly positive one in my eyes, I found this to be somewhat....undesirable language, I suppose is the best way to put it? As I said, just a note, make of it what you will.

Shall post again sometime down the road, with any further results.
joshfircand

Long reply

Postby Blink » September 6th, 2006, 8:36 pm

joshfircand wrote:On a first listen, from someone who doesn't slip easily into trance, it was quite pleasant and nicely relaxing. I quite enjoyed the approach, as well, though I found myself noting places that corresponded to oblique instructions.

All of the instructions in the hypnosis track are hidden in plain view. As you noted, there are oblique instructions along with the overt ones, all aimed at relaxation and trance. Which instructions did you notice? Were you picking apart some of the language patterns, or were you listening to the verbal "mark-outs"? You present me with a unique and unprecedented opportunity to improve my subtlety. If you can describe what I was doing to attract your attention, I can try to eliminate it from future versions of my inductions and we both benefit.

joshfircand wrote:I wouldn't say I went into trance, but it was indeed, as I said, pleasant and relaxing, so I shall be happy to give it several more play throughs in the future.

If you relaxed, that's all that's needed. The recording should help build on that with each repitition. Lots of people expect hypnosis to feel like an altered state. That's really not necessary for the instructions to work. There isn't a "payload" in this recording, so there's not really a way to check the efficacy. The induction is built to work better as you listen more. If, as you continue listening, you find that you relax more quickly or more deeply, then you've got a pretty good indication that other hypnotic instructions would work as well.

joshfircand wrote:As a side note, however, I noted the section that made mention of 'the most pleasant dreams' ... 'that you can never quite remember'. Since I frequently lucid dream, and frequently remember my dreams, both the pleasant ones and the unpleasant, and this fact has been a highly positive one in my eyes, I found this to be somewhat....undesirable language, I suppose is the best way to put it? As I said, just a note, make of it what you will.

This is a major reason why I asked for feedback on the piece. You've found the only explicit instruction for amnesia. It doesn't refer to the trance work, and I'd forgotten it was in there. You should get a prize of some sort. :) This induction was formulated without lucid dreaming in mind. If you're lucid dreaming, or if you are keeping a dream journal and trying to remember all of your dreams, this recording might interfere with that. The way the instruction appears in the script, it's unlikely to generalize, meaning that you might not be able to remember all your dreams on the night you listen to this recording, but you'll still remember them on other nights. I'll alter that part of the script in future versions. In the version you've got, you can open the MP3 with Audacity or some other editing software, select the "that you can never quite remember" phrase, and delete it. Even if you don't actually delete it, it's OK for you to remember that I said you could, each and every time you listen to the file.

joshfircand wrote:Shall post again sometime down the road, with any further results.

Please do. I look forward to getting more detailed feedback from you on how the induction functions over time. As an aside, there have been 45 downloads of the MP3 since I posted the link and about a half dozen people have commented on it. That's better than a 10% response rate. I was hoping to get more feedback, but, objectively, 10% rocks.

FYI, I've gotten your message and I'll respond as quickly as I can. This recording is an extract of about 1/2 to 3/5 of the original Patches induction script re-recorded.

Thanks for your interest and for all your helpful observations.
-- Blink
Blink
Guru
Guru

Postby joshfircand » September 7th, 2006, 8:51 am

All of the instructions in the hypnosis track are hidden in plain view. As you noted, there are oblique instructions along with the overt ones, all aimed at relaxation and trance. Which instructions did you notice? Were you picking apart some of the language patterns, or were you listening to the verbal "mark-outs"? You present me with a unique and unprecedented opportunity to improve my subtlety. If you can describe what I was doing to attract your attention, I can try to eliminate it from future versions of my inductions and we both benefit.

I'm afraid I can't respond with a detailed reply at this time. Ahh, the joys of things going very much south at work. I can however, quickly, say three things. One is that you're going to have to define what you mean by 'Mark-outs' for me. The second is that, do bear in mind I was listening both with an intent to trance if possible but also with a curious analytical mind that knew something of your approach from journal entries I had read; a mind that half-expected to pick your approach apart and examine it and which was therefore noting segments of language which did contain induction components. Third is that, at a more opportune moment for me, and perhaps after a second listen this evening, I shall certainly attempt to convey whether my noting those choices of phrasing was because of that inherant analytical examination or whether they were in fact more or less subtle than surrounding attempts. I'm nothing if not inclined to be helpful. :)

If you relaxed, that's all that's needed. The recording should help build on that with each repitition. Lots of people expect hypnosis to feel like an altered state. That's really not necessary for the instructions to work. There isn't a "payload" in this recording, so there's not really a way to check the efficacy. The induction is built to work better as you listen more. If, as you continue listening, you find that you relax more quickly or more deeply, then you've got a pretty good indication that other hypnotic instructions would work as well.

That's certainly what I've been told, but, as a novice, I can't help but do exactly what I've seen others on this forum doing; having that analytical portion of my mind continually watching for some sort of transition between 'normal functioning' and a receptive focused state. I of course realize the inherant ludicrousness of that watching, as it's (in my mind) almost certainly counterproductive, and as I'm quite familiar with the 'focused and receptive state' of tuning everything else in all the world out while I read a good novel, and am suspending disbelief. [I've been told this is akin to trance.] For being so familiar with a state, and with reaching it so frequently, you'd think I'd have an easier time attaining it when attempting to deliberately do so. *wry smile*

*amused* I shall watch for whether or not I'm relaxing more quickly or more deeply, as my experience with your file progresses. [Oh no! More watching!]

This is a major reason why I asked for feedback on the piece. You've found the only explicit instruction for amnesia. It doesn't refer to the trance work, and I'd forgotten it was in there. You should get a prize of some sort. This induction was formulated without lucid dreaming in mind. If you're lucid dreaming, or if you are keeping a dream journal and trying to remember all of your dreams, this recording might interfere with that. The way the instruction appears in the script, it's unlikely to generalize, meaning that you might not be able to remember all your dreams on the night you listen to this recording, but you'll still remember them on other nights. I'll alter that part of the script in future versions. In the version you've got, you can open the MP3 with Audacity or some other editing software, select the "that you can never quite remember" phrase, and delete it. Even if you don't actually delete it, it's OK for you to remember that I said you could, each and every time you listen to the file.

Emphasis on 'explicit'. *bemused* As opposed to permissive.

What sort of form would a prize take, for such a discovery, I wonder?

Just as clarification, it's not that I'm specifically in the process of attempting to lucid dream, or to chronicle my dreams -- although I do record those I particularly enjoyed. Some have been thoroughly entertaining to share, after the fact -- but more that I seem to have a natural aptitute for it which manifests itself frequently, and this is something I've always appreciated and do not wish to surrender. I'm glad my feedback has had an impact on your choice of phrasing. :)

Also, I don't have editing software myself at the moment, but shall take the less enjoyable approach of deliberately mentally disagreeing/disregarding that particular line when it is reached.

That's better than a 10% response rate. I was hoping to get more feedback, but, objectively, 10% rocks.

*laugh* Well, at the least, I shall hope that ten percent provides useful feedback.

FYI, I've gotten your message and I'll respond as quickly as I can. This recording is an extract of about 1/2 to 3/5 of the original Patches induction script re-recorded.

Thanks for your interest and for all your helpful observations.
-- Blink

I certainly appreciate that. *chuckle* And you're making me curious as to what was omitted. :D

You're quite welcome.
joshfircand

Postby joshfircand » September 13th, 2006, 4:20 pm

Well, I've definitely been having pleasant dreams lately. Not sure if I'd lay that at the feet of the file, but if the file is helping even if it isn't prompting, I'm not going to argue. And I do know I remembered the contents of the dream, after several moments, this morning, and can bring some of them back now, so I'm not terrifically concerned about being unable to remember them.

It is getting slightly easier to relax, while listening to the file, and I do enjoy doing so. Some of the recording problems have become quite noticable, after repeated listening, however, as did the one grammatical issue towards the end. Something about 'I want to picture yourself' The omitted 'you' always catches me.

Question for you, Blink. I've seen a number of people on these boards, who claim to successfully trance often, write about it as though they 'fell asleep' soon into the induction (before any sort of 'count down'), and only regained awareness as the awakening sequence was reached. Is this normal / the goal of us who aspire to trance & hypnotic fun? In other words, when I listen to a hypnosis file, although I relax nicely, and occasionally experience mild sensations of floating or of being quite immobile (almost rigid, ESPECIALLY in the neck / back of the head area, even though the muscles are 'relaxed') I never have any loss of awareness of what I'm listening to. I am aware that I am listening, and am aware of the words of what I am listening to. Not at all 'asleep' or in any sense unaware that time is passing, nor do I miss being aware of anything that is said (at least during the act of listening). Should I expect to someday reach this state of turning off that awareness, or perhaps is it simply that these other individuals are more adept at depth of trance than I am? If not, would this have an impact, other than on the sort of effects that could be achieved? (I've read that things like positive and negative hallucinations require different depths of trance for auditory, for visual, and so on)

-Curious In Chicago
joshfircand

Postby Blink » September 13th, 2006, 6:51 pm

joshfircand wrote:Well, I've definitely been having pleasant dreams lately. Not sure if I'd lay that at the feet of the file, but if the file is helping even if it isn't prompting, I'm not going to argue.

I get the distinct sense that you'd be very good at it if you were. ;)

joshfircand wrote:And I do know I remembered the contents of the dream, after several moments, this morning, and can bring some of them back now, so I'm not terrifically concerned about being unable to remember them.

Excellent.

joshfircand wrote:It is getting slightly easier to relax, while listening to the file, and I do enjoy doing so.

That's as I hoped.

joshfircand wrote:Some of the recording problems have become quite noticable, after repeated listening, however, as did the one grammatical issue towards the end. Something about 'I want to picture yourself' The omitted 'you' always catches me.

The comment about the recording quality is good feedback. I'm considering addressing that in the script. There's no way that I can create perfect audio given my equipment and (non-existent) skill level. I can give an instruction to disregard the flaws. I'll have to try that and see if it's useful. The omission you're mentioning was not one of the intentional slights of mouth, so I'm guessing you've caught me in something entirely Freudian. Now, can I recall the person I had in mind when I was recording that version? :)

Given the depth of feedback you've generated for me, you may rest assured that 'you' are specifically included in all the instructions in that recording.

joshfircand wrote:Question for you, Blink. I've seen a number of people on these boards, who claim to successfully trance often, write about it as though they 'fell asleep' soon into the induction (before any sort of 'count down'), and only regained awareness as the awakening sequence was reached. Is this normal / the goal of us who aspire to trance & hypnotic fun? In other words, when I listen to a hypnosis file, although I relax nicely, and occasionally experience mild sensations of floating or of being quite immobile (almost rigid, ESPECIALLY in the neck / back of the head area, even though the muscles are 'relaxed') I never have any loss of awareness of what I'm listening to. I am aware that I am listening, and am aware of the words of what I am listening to. Not at all 'asleep' or in any sense unaware that time is passing, nor do I miss being aware of anything that is said (at least during the act of listening).

If I could dispel the altered state notion of hypnosis, I certainly would. Some people genuinely do have a "lost time" experience in trance. Most don't. It's not necessary. You can read the Wikipedia article on hypnosis for some very good explanations of the different theories for how it works and note how they take this variability in experience into account.

joshfircand wrote:Should I expect to someday reach this state of turning off that awareness, or perhaps is it simply that these other individuals are more adept at depth of trance than I am? If not, would this have an impact, other than on the sort of effects that could be achieved? (I've read that things like positive and negative hallucinations require different depths of trance for auditory, for visual, and so on)

There is research dating back to the 1930s at least that bears this out. The Davis-Husband scale rates depth of trance by the phenomena that are possible at a given depth. (I've looked, fruitlessly, for a copy of the scale online. It is reprinted in the Ormond McGill book I've mentioned, though, and is frequently cited in academic work.) Researchers since then have said that there is no direct correlation between a given trance phenomenon and a particular depth of trance.

For therapeutic purposes, greater depth is usually seen as desirable, but not necessary. If you're looking for a specific effect, you might be able to get it more readily in a deeper trance. (I've worked with one somnambule who had positive and negative visual hallucinations on demand. Davis-Husband indicates that's pretty deep. I've also worked with a subject who was able to have tactile hallucinations on demand in waking trance. Davis-Husband indicates that's impossible.) The whole experience is too subjective for any real measurements to happen, in my opinion.

On a positive note, given the results you're already getting, there doesn't seem to be any reason why you couldn't direct your efforts toward getting deeper, more relaxing trances. Practice does help both with the speed with which trance is attained and the depth one is able to reach.

Thanks, again, for your detailed feedback.

-- Blink
Blink
Guru
Guru

Postby joshfircand » September 14th, 2006, 9:29 am

*chuckles* Well, thank you, I think. ;)

Overall, the recording quality is fine, except for the very very brief static in four spots. It's just after repeated listening that those four spots become fixation points of 'Erk, there's the static again.' I didn't even notice them the very first time I listened.

Non-existent skill level? You must be referring to audio editing skill, because I found you to be very clear spoken, with pleasant timbre and pacing, and the file itself quite enjoyable (I still find one or two lines quite droll) as well as relaxing.

As for freudian....*laugh* Well, how many people are there that you make recordings for? ;)

*hmms? at being included?*

And thank you for taking the time to respond to my question. I'm glad to hear that 'lost time' is not a necessary symptom for effective trance, as I don't particularly see myself achieving it. ^.^;; And no, not seeking a specific effect so much as interested in experimentation on a variety of subjects.

Still looking forward to your eventual response to the PM(s) I'd sent. Take care
joshfircand

Postby Jacara » September 14th, 2006, 10:57 am

Blink wrote:The Davis-Husband scale rates depth of trance by the phenomena that are possible at a given depth. (I've looked, fruitlessly, for a copy of the scale online. It is reprinted in the Ormond McGill book I've mentioned, though, and is frequently cited in academic work.) Researchers since then have said that there is no direct correlation between a given trance phenomenon and a particular depth of trance.

Is this what you're referring to? That's the only list I remember seeing, and this site calls it Aron's scale.

As for what one experiences in trance, I think it all has to do with what's remembered afterwards. It's my opinion that everyone is aware enough during trance, but for some people their mind just stops "recording" what's happening in memory; when they wake up they don't remember anything after a certain point, so they assume they were totally gone, when in fact they would've hardly noticed a difference at the time. Just like some people claim to have no dreams at all, but I think that's impossible - they just can't ever recall them.
So don't focus on how you feel at the time, focus on whatever you're supposed to be focusing on (the words, the spiral, your breathing, etc).
Jacara
Mentor
Mentor

Postby sarnoga » September 15th, 2006, 5:56 am

Blink,

Sorry it took so long for me to give your file a second listen and respond accordingly.

On the second listen the recording imperfections were much more obvious to me than on the first listen. Very noticeable was the background jingling that gets added when you use the Audacity noise reduction. I was still impressed, however, with the quality of your voice and stick by my original observation that overall the recording is very well done.

On the second listen I also found myself trying to listen too closely to what I was hearing so that I could possibly give you some useful comments. I found that doing so detracted from my overall enjoyment of the file and in addition produced very little that I could comment to you about that seemed useful.

I then decided to listen to it a third time and not to bother trying to analyse what I was hearing but to just listen and experience the file. I found it to be very relaxing and enjoyable to listen to. Also, when listening this way I didn't notice the recording imperfections.

I was still feeling poorly when I began to listen on account of having recently gotten out of bed and was still working on my morning coffee and cigar. By the time the coffee and cigar and the file were over I was feeling much better. How much of that can be attributed to the file rather than the coffee and cigar, I cannot say. But listening to the file while having my morning coffee and cigar was very pleasent and left me feeling relaxed and very good.

I do recall when the end of the file was reached that I was wishing it wasn't over so soon and that there was more. If you make any similar recordings I would be most interested in hearing them, or even if you ever make the full version of that recording. You should consider uploading that file to WMM. At least in my opinion it would be a welcome addition to the collection of files here.

One last note, if I haven't already said so, your voice is very pleasent to listen to. Your timing and inflextion are excellent. With some better recording equipment you could make recordings of almost anything that would be enjoyable to listen to.

Thanks for making that file available.

Sarnoga
sarnoga
Guru
Guru

Postby joshfircand » September 17th, 2006, 9:41 pm

Back from a weekend trip to Wisconsin. Will be listening again this evening, after missing two nights. ... Yeah, that's all.
joshfircand

Postby tsd » September 18th, 2006, 3:10 pm

well im in the process of downloading this file at the moment....

its currently ten pm here... and im in a pretty good position to reach a trance at the moment.... starting a new job means im actively being able to allow the anylitical part of my brain to wind down in an evening now... so i will post my thoughts on the file shortly with any luck....

as a little background to me (as guinea pigs generally give this info)
im one of the awfully analytical types, i find it very hard to relax and am constantly on the go.... thus i tend to have problems at times with the practice of hypnosis....
tsd
Regular
Regular

Postby Blink » September 18th, 2006, 6:28 pm

joshfircand wrote:Overall, the recording quality is fine, except for the very very brief static in four spots. It's just after repeated listening that those four spots become fixation points of 'Erk, there's the static again.' I didn't even notice them the very first time I listened.

That's an effect I'm hoping to avoid, and one that I suspect is quite common. The problem is generating high quality recordings with hobbyist equipment, low-end hobbyist equipment at that.

joshfircand wrote:Non-existent skill level? You must be referring to audio editing skill, because I found you to be very clear spoken, with pleasant timbre and pacing, and the file itself quite enjoyable (I still find one or two lines quite droll) as well as relaxing.

First, thanks again for your kind words. I was referring to recording skill, primarily. There was virtually no editing done to that track after it was recorded. Just the noise reduction that proved distracting to another listener. I'm still learning the software and the limitations of the equipment, but I'm convinced that if there is to be an ultimate solution to the audio issues it is going to be in the content of the recordings and not in the process of creating them.

joshfircand wrote:As for freudian....*laugh* Well, how many people are there that you make recordings for? ;)

As much as I'd like for you to know, that would require me telling, wouldn't it? :)

joshfircand wrote:And thank you for taking the time to respond to my question. I'm glad to hear that 'lost time' is not a necessary symptom for effective trance, as I don't particularly see myself achieving it. ^.^;;

Don't discount the possibility entirely. There are hypnotists whose skill exceeds both EMG's and mine, and I'm confident in saying that we're both still learning. Your response can change over time as well. There's also the possibility of in-person trance induction, if you'd care to find a flesh-and-blood hypnotist. For example, I've had very good results getting an arm levitation using physical means with a client who has proved very difficult to get into trance otherwise. If you want to lose time, it will happen for you.

joshfircand wrote:Still looking forward to your eventual response to the PM(s) I'd sent. Take care

I apologize to you and to the others who are waiting. I'm in the process of reassignment to radically different duties at work, in the middle of a series of weekend classes on clinical issues (requiring study during the week), and responding to a number of people privately on a number of subjects. I don't intend to slight anyone, but I can't promise haste in my replies.

Thanks very much for your continued responses.

-- Blink
Blink
Guru
Guru

Postby Blink » September 18th, 2006, 6:42 pm

Jacara wrote:
Is this what you're referring to?

Nope. There's a Davis-Husband scale that runs from zero to thirty. Hyperesthesia is at the bottom end, if I recall correctly, right behind negative visual hallucinations. I don't know if I'd agree with that placement, 'cause I've rearranged sensory systems with subjects without taking them that deep into trance. Suggesting that the nerve endings from someone's genitalia are connected to your index finger is an excellent bar trick. Dip your finger in an icy drink and then lick it off, and you're bound to get a reaction. ;)

Jacara wrote:It's my opinion that everyone is aware enough during trance, but for some people their mind just stops "recording" what's happening in memory; when they wake up they don't remember anything after a certain point, so they assume they were totally gone, when in fact they would've hardly noticed a difference at the time.

I'd say that the memories are all still there. They're just being supressed by the subconscious. I did a recording at one point that included a phrase borrowed from EMG: "This recording is not for your conscious mind." The subject, with whom I'd already done significant prior work, made an effort to listen to the file all the way through without going into trance. He did an excellent job. Nevertheless, within a day, he'd forgotten everything that he'd listened to. His subconscious had suppressed the memory on command.

Knowing how malleable memories are, I'm reluctant to play rough with them. It does present the possibility of having someone "remember" some very interesting details, or forget some inconvenient ones. Anyone who has fantasized about being kidnapped by a stranger should be paying very close attention right about now.

-- Blink
Blink
Guru
Guru

Postby Blink » September 18th, 2006, 7:29 pm

sarnoga wrote:Sorry it took so long for me to give your file a second listen and respond accordingly.

No problem at all. I appreciate all the comments I receive.

sarnoga wrote:On the second listen the recording imperfections were much more obvious to me than on the first listen. Very noticeable was the background jingling that gets added when you use the Audacity noise reduction. I was still impressed, however, with the quality of your voice and stick by my original observation that overall the recording is very well done.

Then sarnoga wrote:I do recall when the end of the file was reached that I was wishing it wasn't over so soon and that there was more. If you make any similar recordings I would be most interested in hearing them, or even if you ever make the full version of that recording. You should consider uploading that file to WMM. At least in my opinion it would be a welcome addition to the collection of files here.

Then sarnoga wrote:...(I)f I haven't already said so, your voice is very pleasent to listen to. Your timing and inflextion are excellent. With some better recording equipment you could make recordings of almost anything that would be enjoyable to listen to. Thanks for making that file available.

Thanks for all your kind words. I really appreciate the balance of comments, but I've got to say that I appreciate how you tipped the balance in my favor. :)

I'm working out the technical issues as best I can and revising the bits of the script that people have commented on. I do plan to take EMG up on his offer of three months Premium Membership for a file upload. I really wanted to fish for solid feedback first and to keep control of the draft file a little closer to home.

I've got this track to re-record, then I'm planning to do a more directive induction for anyone who don't respond well to the more permissive format of this one. I've got a couple more long scripts, but I'll have to scruitinize (sanitize) them a bit before I put them out for public consumption.

sarnoga wrote:On the second listen I also found myself trying to listen too closely to what I was hearing so that I could possibly give you some useful comments. I found that doing so detracted from my overall enjoyment of the file and in addition produced very little that I could comment to you about that seemed useful.

The structure of the script is meant to be evasive. It's best just to listen and enjoy. Some skilled listeners are picking out some of the tricks. I'll admit that there's a great deal of fun to be had doing that, but that's not the point of the recording. Once I've taken EMG up on his offer regarding the file upload, I'll see if I can wrangle another few months out of him for posting the script. ;) There's nothing hidden in the words but the meaning.

sarnoga wrote:I then decided to listen to it a third time and not to bother trying to analyse what I was hearing but to just listen and experience the file. I found it to be very relaxing and enjoyable to listen to. Also, when listening this way I didn't notice the recording imperfections.

That's what I've been alluding to with joshfircand. I don't think I can create perfect recordings, but I can encourage listeners to ignore the imperfections. Dr. Erickson did some excellent work in an office with paper-thin walls and a road crew jackhammering away right outside the door. One of the primary tasks--if not the primary task--of the subconscious is filtering sensory experience.

sarnoga wrote:By the time the coffee and cigar and the file were over I was feeling much better. How much of that can be attributed to the file rather than the coffee and cigar, I cannot say. But listening to the file while having my morning coffee and cigar was very pleasent and left me feeling relaxed and very good.

It's been months since I've indulged in a cigar, but I recognize that there is miraculous healing power in the morning cuppa. I hope I'm able to augment that. :)

Thanks for the depth of your comments. This is exactly the kind of response I was hoping for when I first posted the link.

-- Blink
Blink
Guru
Guru

Postby Blink » September 18th, 2006, 7:45 pm

tsd wrote:well im in the process of downloading this file at the moment....

One of the improvements I'm hoping to make when I re-record is shrinking the file size dramatically. The sampling rate was set too high in the draft recording. Learning curve.

tsd wrote:its currently ten pm here... and im in a pretty good position to reach a trance at the moment.... starting a new job means im actively being able to allow the anylitical part of my brain to wind down in an evening now... so i will post my thoughts on the file shortly with any luck....

Good luck to you. I've got a good track record with end-of-the-day listeners. I hope that you'll be both pleased and surprised to write your reactions tomorrow. :)

tsd wrote:as a little background to me (as guinea pigs generally give this info) im one of the awfully analytical types, i find it very hard to relax and am constantly on the go.... thus i tend to have problems at times with the practice of hypnosis....

That makes me eager to find out how you react to the recording. I'm hoping to increase my skill level in working with analytically-minded folk. Your feedback will be very valuable to me.

Thanks for your comments so far.

-- Blink
Blink
Guru
Guru

Postby sarnoga » September 19th, 2006, 8:53 am

Blink wrote:
One of the improvements I'm hoping to make when I re-record is shrinking the file size dramatically. The sampling rate was set too high in the draft recording. Learning curve.

I am kinda farmiliar with using Audacity, though I havent done much with it as far as making voice recordings. Changing the sample rate when you make the recording will not significantly reduce the size of the file. The two things that most affect the file size is the length of the recording and the bit rate which you set for conversion to mp3.

Most of my experience with voice recordings has been trying to edit the recordings made by others. Near as I can tell the three things that most affect the quality of a voice recording will be the quality of your microphone, the distance you place the microphone from your mouth, and the recording level.

With a cheap microphone you are likely to get background hiss or noise no matter what you do. I think this is because you need to turn the level up too far for it to adaquately pick up your voice and that adds static and hiss. Also a cheap microphone needs to be too close to your mouth in order to pick up anything at all.

If you have the microphone too close to your mouth it will catch the sound of the air comming out against the microphone when you are pronouning p's and things like that, s sounds will also come out too loud. It will also pick up other sounds you dont necessarily want such as the sound of your breathiing and your lips smacking etc.

When recording in digital, if the recording level is too high, that is the recorded sound going into the red, while recording it will make flat spots at the top of the wave that cannot be corrected with editing. If recording in analog to tape you still want to stay out of the red but I think the effect is somewhat different.

So basically to improve on what you have you need a good microphone that you can place at least two or three feet away from your mouth and to watch the recording level. To reduce the size of the file you need to export it to mp3 at a lower bit rate.

Trying to remove background hiss or noise with audacity is problematic. It removes the noise just fine but tends to add a jingling noise. I have had the best sucsess removing noise when first there is not too much of it and second on the second step of the noise reduction after you have gotten the sample put the slider bar all the way to the left to remove less noise. Usually spot on the far left or second to the far left have most often given me the best results. I think you will sometimes find that you have to live with some of the background hiss in order not to add the jingling noise.

It may be that some programs for recording voice give better results than others but if that is true I dont know which ones are best.

Im sure there are a lot of other tricks to making a good recording but I dont know them. If you know or learn any please let me know as I am interested in knowing them myself. Of course the one thing most important to making a good voice recording and the hardest to obtain if you dont have it, is a good voice. In that regard you are fortunate enough to already have the right equipment.

Hope that helps some.

Blink wrote:Once I've taken EMG up on his offer regarding the file upload, I'll see if I can wrangle another few months out of him for posting the script.

I doubt it will take any wrangling. He has offered 3 months free premium membership for uploading a script. My experience has been that he keeps his promises in that regard.

Sarnoga
sarnoga
Guru
Guru

Question

Postby arose » September 19th, 2006, 2:23 pm

Hi Blink,

Just wanted to let you know I am still enjoying this file and fall asleep to it almost every night. I feel badly that I cannot provide you with feedback as I truly do not remember anything in the file. Its kind of weird..I hear your voice and I immediately go into trance and I wake up in the morning with my ipod on my bedside table...end of story!

Anyway, I look forward to future files as I imagine that anything you produce utilizing this type of induction will be REALLY effective...

Thanks again...
arose

Postby Blink » September 19th, 2006, 7:53 pm

sarnoga wrote:The two things that most affect the file size is the length of the recording and the bit rate which you set for conversion to mp3.

So what can you tell me about bit rates? The full version of that script is about 40 minutes, give or take. I'd like to put it up at some point, but I need to control the file size to make that possible. The feedback I'm getting is that audio quality is a major issue for listeners. Anyone know where the balance point is?

sarnoga wrote:Most of my experience with voice recordings has been trying to edit the recordings made by others. Near as I can tell the three things that most affect the quality of a voice recording will be the quality of your microphone, the distance you place the microphone from your mouth, and the recording level.

I've got the better microphone in now. Better, but not best. If I ever get serious about doing this, I'll need a real microphone (probably a Shure SM-58 ) and I'll need to set up away from the noise sources, including my computer and it's whistling, grinding fans.

sarnoga wrote:Of course the one thing most important to making a good voice recording and the hardest to obtain if you dont have it, is a good voice. In that regard you are fortunate enough to already have the right equipment.

Thanks very much. I really do appreciate the kind comments that I've gotten here as much as I do the advice and education. EMG is providing an excellent resource in this site for hypnotists to improve their art. The warm reception that I've been getting should, I hope, encourage others to share their talents.

sarnoga wrote:
Blink wrote:Once I've taken EMG up on his offer regarding the file upload, I'll see if I can wrangle another few months out of him for posting the script.

I doubt it will take any wrangling. He has offered 3 months free premium membership for uploading a script. My experience has been that he keeps his promises in that regard.

I have no doubt that he'll honor his agreement. I'm not sure if that agreement extends to three months credit for providing a script for my own file. (I know he's giving three months for scripting his recordings.)

I always start with a script and do the recording once I've got the words the way I want them. When I do the revision to this recording, I'll have the edited script and the new file to upload. If EMG doesn't think I'm "double-dipping," then I'm happy to send 'em both.

Thanks again for all your input. You've given me some excellent new information.

-- Blink
Blink
Guru
Guru

Re: Question

Postby Blink » September 19th, 2006, 8:28 pm

arose wrote:Just wanted to let you know I am still enjoying this file and fall asleep to it almost every night. I feel badly that I cannot provide you with feedback as I truly do not remember anything in the file. Its kind of weird..I hear your voice and I immediately go into trance and I wake up in the morning with my ipod on my bedside table...end of story!

You're responding very, very well. I'm glad the recording works so well for you. I'm curious if anyone else here at WMM is getting the same level of effect that you are. (The people for whom I scripted the first versions of that recording all got similar effects to what you're describing, but they were all hearing longer versions.)

Though the base induction is totally vanilla, I have some D/s material scripted that builds on the full version of the recording you're listening to. If I ever get the recording I've posted fixed up and re-posted, I'm hoping to overhaul and re-record some of the work that follows it. I expect it will eventually find its way to this site.

Thanks again for your comments.

-- Blink
Blink
Guru
Guru

Postby joshfircand » September 19th, 2006, 10:00 pm

I feel compelled to express my hopes that you both do repost a version of this recording that You are more happy with, as well as one of the second piece. :oops: *heh* :D

And I'm jealous of you, arose! That reaction is just the sort of thing I was talking about, in my earlier post. Though I don't recall being 'aware' during last nights listening, and 'came to' later on in the night, with the iPod equivelent on the bed beside me and one earphone in, one earphone out, -that- I'm quite certain was me falling asleep, after the sleep-depriving driving I did this past weekend, not so much me trancing and 'blipping out', as it were. I know I didn't even make it to 'time zones'.

EDIT: Did this thread disappear from the forum listing, or is it just me? O.o
Last edited by joshfircand on September 20th, 2006, 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joshfircand

Postby Blink » September 20th, 2006, 8:30 pm

joshfircand wrote:I feel compelled to express my hopes that you both do repost a version of this recording that You are more happy with, as well as one of the second piece. :oops: *heh* :D

I've got the equipment here and I'm working on my skill level with the recording process. I've got some edits to do with the script, and then it's a matter of finding some quiet time to record.

joshfircand wrote:EDIT: Did this thread disappear from the forum listing, or is it just me? O.o

It's not just you. The thread has disappeared from the General Hypnosis listing, but has since reappeared. I saw it, too.

Must be a pretty deep trance if I'm seeing the same hallucinations. :D
Blink
Guru
Guru

Postby sarnoga » September 20th, 2006, 10:16 pm

Blink wrote:
So what can you tell me about bit rates? The full version of that script is about 40 minutes, give or take. I'd like to put it up at some point, but I need to control the file size to make that possible. The feedback I'm getting is that audio quality is a major issue for listeners. Anyone know where the balance point is?

As you must already know Audacity uses another program called lame to export to mp3. The version I have wont let me export anything above 128 which is the bit rate you used for your file. For the most part 128 is an adaquate bit rate for most things. If you are listening with cheap computer speakers or cheap headphones anything better than 128 is probably a waste. I have thousands of music files on my computer that I have imported all at 224. Probably not necessary but when it comes to music I am picky. I really cant tell that much difference on my computer but I use 224 so that if I want to use the same file to burn to a disc to play on a real stereo the quality will be there.

Audio quality is important, but for voice alone even 128 is probably overkill. You wouldn't want to use anything less than 128 if you could help it if you are going to start adding binaural tones or any music or other sound tracks in the background. However for voice alone a bit rate of 96 or even 64 should be adaquate. The best way to check it out for sure is to take your file or a file you have finished and are happy with and export it first at 128 and then at 96 and 64. Remember to change the name each time or each subsequent export will just replace the one before it. Listen to the file yourself and decided if the quality is suffering much at the lower bit rates and what your savings is as far as size. If you dont notice the quality suffering much and/or need to save even more space you could even try 32 bits. I suspect, however that 64 is probably as low as you want to go even for only a voice file but you wont know till you try. Also it somewhat depends on what the quality of the recording is before you export it. No matter how good the recording is to start with though, if you go too low on the bit rate the sound of the voice will start to sound flat and dull.

Your file was saved as a mono recording at max dB levels. You might be interested to know that in audacity you can convert that to stereo tracks and the file doesn't take up any more space. The size of your file was 18.8 mb for me when I downloaded it. By reducing the dB level by 12 dB it still had plenty of volume and the size was reduced to 18.6. Not really a signigicant savings in size but you dont really need the dB's maxed out anyway.

Just for grins, after making it into stereo tracks and reducing the dB by 12 which resulted in a file of 18.6 mb, I then exported it at at bit rate of 96. I could detect no noticable reduction in quality but the size was reduced to 13.9 mb. I then did the same at bit rate of 64. Again the quality seemed the same to me but the size was reduced to 9.30 mb. Just for fun I exported it one more time at a bit rate of 32. This time I was able to notice a difference in quality but the size was further reduced to 4.65 mb.

In audacity you change the bit rate for mp3 export under edit/preferences/file formats. There are three other sizes between 64 and 32 and many other choises between 64 and 128. The best thing you can do is play around with the various choises until you get the balance you are looking for between quality and size.

If you ever decided to do the full length version of that file I would like to have a copy. I'm also interested in listening to any other files you may make.
sarnoga
Guru
Guru

Future files

Postby arose » September 21st, 2006, 6:35 am

I look forward to hearing the not-so-vanilla recordings that build upon this one. They sound very exciting... :wink:
arose

Postby tsd » September 23rd, 2006, 5:41 pm

as promised.... my thoughts... i thought it was great!

your voice is well suited to this kind of thing blink. i found you very easy to listen to... and the induction worked as i dont actually remember putting my stuff away and going to bed afterwards... which is a very good sign...

ill be able to post more the more i listen... am going for another run through now... but i thought i'd post my initial thoughts while i have the chance!

tsd
tsd
Regular
Regular

Postby Blink » September 24th, 2006, 10:32 am

tsd wrote:as promised.... my thoughts... i thought it was great! your voice is well suited to this kind of thing blink. i found you very easy to listen to...

Thanks very much. The continued praise really is a strong encouragement to do more.

tsd wrote:and the induction worked as i dont actually remember putting my stuff away and going to bed afterwards... which is a very good sign...

You're right. That's a very good sign. Quite a few people do develop a spontaneous amnesia from listening to this recording. That's usually a good sign that conscious resistance is no longer an issue, at least for the material at hand. It's also a good indicator that you'll enjoy success with your hypnotic endeavors.

tsd wrote:ill be able to post more the more i listen... am going for another run through now... but i thought i'd post my initial thoughts while i have the chance!

That's exactly what I want. I hope you continue to enjoy the recording with continued listening. It is designed to improve with repeated listening, but, given your initial reaction, I don't know what improvement we could make. :)

Thanks again for your feedback.

-- Blink
Blink
Guru
Guru

Postby odlid » September 27th, 2006, 1:58 pm

Yet more feedback for you...

I like it a LOT. The delivery and pace really draws me in to it. You certainly have a natural talent for the spoken word. For some reason though it makes me want to re-find Spaulding Grey's monologues...
odlid

Awesome

Postby KMP1022 » September 27th, 2006, 2:37 pm

Blink,
Sorry I didnt write sooner. I really, really liked it. Sometimes its hard for me to go under because I am so literal, so the story telling was great. Totally caught me off guard. Would love to hear/feel something else soon...Julie
KMP1022

Postby fenton » September 27th, 2006, 3:41 pm

Hello,
I would also like to apologize for the late response in getting back on this file. I haven't been able to listen to this until a couple nights ago. I have to say it is very well done. I unfortunately don't remember much of the details other than something about checking to see about an email at the end. I look forward to listening to your next file.
fenton
Regular
Regular

Postby GregoryS » September 27th, 2006, 10:14 pm

Hi, and thanks for the file!

This is the first induction that actually seems to work every time I listen to it! I like that there are few explicit instructions like most other inductions ("Take a deep breath", "Feel yourself going more relaxed", etc.) I tend to over-analyze the commands of those inductions, while with this one, all I have to do is passively listen.

I unfortunately don't remember much of the details other than something about checking to see about an email at the end.

The file works so good (I think) that I don't really remember that part either, just the word "email". I don't know if that was some kind of trigger, or just part of the "story" of the file. I hope it's the latter, since I haven't had any urge to do anything unusual involving e-mail.

I hope you make some more files like this soon!
GregoryS

Postby Jacara » September 28th, 2006, 5:14 pm

The mention of email wasn't a suggestion, it was just something to distract you from what you just heard. I think that's an Eriksonian technique. Right after the trance, they'll talk about something that has nothing to do with what the trance was about, so they don't have time to bring it to conscious memory (so the suggestions stay buried in the subconscious and the rational mind doesn't have a chance to fight them).
It's like when you're dreaming - if you wake up gradually you might remember your dream, but if something else suddenly wakes you up you focus on whatever woke you and not on your dream, and it slips away.
Jacara
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Blink » September 28th, 2006, 7:01 pm

Jacara wrote:The mention of email wasn't a suggestion, it was just something to distract you from what you just heard. I think that's an Eriksonian technique.

Got it in one.

There's only the one overt suggestion for amnesia (most pleasant dreams that you can't quite remember--I'd forgotten it was there until a listener reminded me: ironic), but there is a good bit there aimed at generating amnesia covertly.

The theory--and it is pure Erickson--is that generating amnesia for the file contents will help avoid conscious resistance. It's the same reason that the "meat" of the file is hidden inside linguistic tricks. There are only a few overt suggestions and no outright commands. The idea is to leave nothing there to resist.

I should repeat that there is no "payload" in this recording. It's just a trance induction and deepener with a suggestion for increased responsiveness over time. On that note, I've gotten at least one private note indicating that the file does seem to work better with repeated listenings. I've had a listener indicate that he's gone from a minimal response to possibly having episodes of lost time. I'm keen to hear from anyone else who has noticed a change in the effectiveness of the file over time.

Good work, Jacara. Now hush and quit giving away secrets. ;)

-- Blink
Blink
Guru
Guru

Multiple thanks and the announcement you've been waiting for

Postby Blink » September 28th, 2006, 9:20 pm

I don't want anyone to think they've been ignored. Thanks for the commentary from odlid, KMP1022, fenton, GregoryS and arose.

I gather that several of you are finding that the oblique suggestions for amnesia are working. A side benefit of the amnesia, beyond making the hypnosis work better, is that it keeps the recording brand new every time. I hope you're enjoying having a familar favorite that can pleasantly surprise you every time you listen. :)

I've tried re-recording the full script. I got a version that's good, but that I'm not totally thrilled about.

The good news is that when I've gotten over my perfectionism and I've finally uploaded the full version. Look for Blink's Basic Induction on the Files page. It includes all the material from my full script and runs about 27 minutes. I think that's probably rushing things a little, but it doesn't sound bad. The audio is better than the abbreviated version, and it's a good bit smaller: about 9.4MB.

I've put up the script, too. Anyone who's really, really curious about how it all works can try to reverse-engineer it, and anyone who's getting really good amnesia can try reading along. :D

Thanks to everyone who has commented so far. Please let me know what you think of the newly-posted version.

-- Blink
Blink
Guru
Guru

Postby tsd » October 2nd, 2006, 3:12 pm

after another couple of listens more of the same... i tried consciously trying listen to everything... but i can't remember that much... im looking very much forwards to hearing the full thing... and a lot more to come hopefully...

i will quite happily road test for you if you like Blink as this is the first file ive tried and had practically no trouble trancing to...and enjoy that!

tsd
tsd
Regular
Regular

Postby tsd » October 9th, 2006, 6:04 pm

another observation from me....

i decided to try somethign new.

i began with the abbreviated induction (as thats all i have and dont seem to be able to find the full one) and then placed another file directly afterwards... just to see what happened.

the result was i awoke at the end of the second file with no conscious recollection of anything after the start of the 'story' at the beginning of the induction.

this is something i am going to try on a more regular basis, firstly with something i consciously want to work (increased metabolism atm as i have probs with mine) and then i plan to try with something that i see as being a little more of a challenge for me.

i so want to hear the full version of this file!!!!
tsd
Regular
Regular

Postby Blink » October 9th, 2006, 9:22 pm

tsd wrote:i decided to try somethign new.

That's pretty much how all of us got here. :D

tsd wrote:i began with the abbreviated induction (as thats all i have and dont seem to be able to find the full one) and then placed another file directly afterwards... just to see what happened.

the result was i awoke at the end of the second file with no conscious recollection of anything after the start of the 'story' at the beginning of the induction.

That's something I hadn't considered. I didn't design it for that, but I'm not going to argue with success. You could use Audacity or some other editing software to pull the permissive wakener off the end and put other file bodies into it, but with what you described, you don't seem to need to.

tsd wrote:i so want to hear the full version of this file!!!!

It's a premium file at the moment, but here it is.

I'm very glad you're enjoying such success with my recording. Thanks, too, for all your feedback. I'm learning a lot from the responses I'm getting, and I appreciate them all.

I'd like to thank the folks who've put in ratings on the full version. As I write this, my humble little creation is in the top spot on the "Highest Rated" list. I hope everyone who's enjoyed it will continue to find something new and different and comfortingly familiar every time they listen.

-- Blink
Blink
Guru
Guru

Postby odlid » October 10th, 2006, 12:18 am

Excuse my newbieness, but...
Am I right in thinking the script is a mix of NLP and "standard" hypnotism?
If it is, can I ask what inspired you to put them together like that? Have you taken techniques from a book or something I could get hold of, or is it your own invention?

Thanks!
odlid

Next

Return to General Hypnosis