Hypnosis Myths

A place to discuss the files and hypnosis in general

Moderator: EMG

Hypnosis Myths

Postby loadedkaos » April 11th, 2005, 8:45 pm

I notice alot of people are worried that they can't be hypnotized so I hope this clarifies some things for those individuals.

Let me start out by saying that I am not a proffessional, but I read alot and analize common thoughts and perceptions. So lets start.

Myth #1: I can't be hypnotized because I'm not a submissive person. Well you don't haft to be. Yes some hypnotist such as emg use words such as obey in their scripts but ultimately you choose to let your self obey or you don't. Now granted you have picked a behavior youd like to be hypnotized for that's in your best interest. You can from then on choose to obey the hypnotist who is working in your best interest to give you a behavior that you would benefit from....That hardly sounds submissive to me!

Myth #2: I have too much willpower to be hypnotized. Actually that is what can help you to be hypnotized. Being hypnotized depends on your ability to focus. If you have no willpower you wont be able to focus thus you wont be hypnotized.

Myth #3: I can't relax to be hypnotized. Like I said before being hypnotized has more to do with your ability to focus over anything else. Relaxing is only important because most hypnotist use relaxing inductions.
Although I find it funny that some of us can relax at any point until some one attempts to hypnotize them. Maybe the previous myths are the underlying reasons why you have trouble relaxing. Either way practice helps eventually you will be comfortable with the idea of being hypnotized. If that doesn't work try some hypnosis where relaxation isn't neccessary if you like emg's files then either edit them for a relaxationless hypnosis or redo them yourself your own voice might work better, and you don't haft to force yourself to relax if you don't want to.

Any way I hop that clarifies somethings for some people who think they are imposible to hypnotize.
loadedkaos
Mentor
Mentor

Postby loadedkaos » April 12th, 2005, 8:37 am

Oh yeah here's another myth people worry about "I don't want the hypnotist to make me do anything stupid."

In most cases the hypnotist can't get you to do anything you really don't want to do unless you are extremely hypnotizable and open to suggestion but for most people we are only mediacorely hypnotizable and thus would resist hypnosis if it involves doing something imorall or against are desires.
loadedkaos
Mentor
Mentor

Return to General Hypnosis