binaural beat technique

A place to discuss the files and hypnosis in general

Moderator: EMG

binaural beat technique

Postby guyincognito88 » February 18th, 2009, 10:29 pm

Question: could one achieve the effect of binaural beats by taking an existing music track, putting it on to mono tracks, and then pitch shifting one up one down by the desired frequency?
guyincognito88

Re: binaural beat technique

Postby EMG » February 18th, 2009, 10:59 pm

I believe that you could do it, and it should work but might be rather disconcerting. I'm not really sure. Definitely worthy of an experiment.

guyincognito88 wrote:Question: could one achieve the effect of binaural beats by taking an existing music track, putting it on to mono tracks, and then pitch shifting one up one down by the desired frequency?
EMG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby zapnosis » February 19th, 2009, 1:36 am

Yes it does work. :D

But the effect is rather odd...

What I want to know... could you create a set of earphones that automatically lower the pitch in one ear by a fixed amount? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
"Feelings, sensations that you thought was dead,
no squealing... remember that it's all in your head"
zapnosis
Mentor
Mentor

Postby MN_FriendlyGuy » February 19th, 2009, 7:57 am

For music recordings, as opinion, I believe the average listener would find the result disappointing. Audio engineers are careful about spatial 'placement' of instruments and voices.

I've done a little experimentation creating binaural beats by shifting pitch (left channel vs. right channel).

- When I've tried this with a music recording, the audible 'placement' of instruments/voices seemed to 'jump'. It wasn't the relaxing quality I had hoped for - a disappointment.

- When I've done this with a voice recording, I liked the unpredictable 'movement' of the voice. It's almost as though the person who's speaking is walking a bit as they talk.
And now that you have confirmation that it's possible - you should try for yourself.
MN_FriendlyGuy
Guru
Guru

Postby zapnosis » February 19th, 2009, 11:53 am

...or just use a tremelo effect...
"Feelings, sensations that you thought was dead,
no squealing... remember that it's all in your head"
zapnosis
Mentor
Mentor

...mmmmm, binaurals

Postby Calimore » February 24th, 2009, 12:16 pm

I have been experimenting with using binaurals on musical tracks for a couple of years now and can tell you that doing binaurals on a track post-production is a LOT harder that doing it in the mix. Yes, you can easily achieve the effect, but will it sound okay, especially without headphones?

One of the most effective binaural tracks I've produced was on a piece that had a lot of percussion with a throbbing base beat throughout. In that case, I put a heavy effect on the percussion track alone, but I ramped the effect up from 0% over the course of the first minute so that the effect was practically imperceptible.

While it is hard to make an effective musical binaural beat file that still sounds good, there are ways to do it. Really, though, the best way to do it is in the studio while the track is being mixed. In any case, I often put music I have altered binaurally on my Hypno-Fetish playlist. The videos I have on YouTube also have extensive binaural beat effects. So far I've gotten little feedback concerning them, though.

As for headphones with a built in effect, there are several "mind machines" on the market that are supposed to do some amazing things. Personally, I think Mind Stereo is a decent compromise between price and functionality. This software 'media player' will play most of your music and hypnosis files and can even stream Net Radio using preset sessions which generate nearly any mind state you want. Or, you create your own session, with or without binaurals, at about a third the cost of a "mind machine". Click on the link to download and try a fully functional version for 15 days.
Calimore
Guru
Guru

Return to General Hypnosis