first person style or second person style or ...

A place to discuss the files and hypnosis in general

Moderator: EMG

first person style or second person style or ...

Postby zzzzz » August 18th, 2009, 4:46 am

What is the difference between being hypnotized with "first person style", like: i am feeling like this, or "second person style", like: you are feeling like this?

I can imagine for brainwashing the first person style can be used, i am ...

Is there more to it? e.g. Effectiveness or more?

Maybe even third person style?

Thanks!
zzzzz
Regular
Regular

Re: first person style or second person style or ...

Postby MN_FriendlyGuy » August 18th, 2009, 6:39 am

Go ahead. Use either first person or second. And yes, third person style can be used too. The name for that style is metaphor.

Language is representational. The word for something is not the same as the thing itself.

When I tell you the word "car", it's possible your own vehicle will come to mind.

If so, it's unnecessary for me to tell you the color or the type of engine. Your wonderful mind hears the word and accesses all the detail represented by that word; hearing and then making those details accessible to awareness.

But if you drive a truck, then that complicates things. It's a minor distraction in communication. It's a distraction because the word "car" is out-of-step with the reality of your life.

As an alternative to saying "car", I could say "vehicle". It represents the same type of thing.

So which one is most effective? Which one communicates the concept best?

Your posting asks: Is there more to it? e.g. Effectiveness or more?
Yes, there's more to it.

A hypnotist's pattern for speaking must align somewhat with the client's pattern for listening. Vocabulary, pronunciation, grammar, pace - a mismatch for any of these elements may distract the listener from accessing the detail. And in the field of hypnosis, distraction inhibits trance formation.

By contrast, alignment of these elements (where hypnotist and client share similar communication patterns) gives no guarantee of trance formation. There's an unspoken expectation that communication will flow without distraction.

Summary:
    Mismatch = causes distraction (a dissatisfier)
    Match = assumed (does not increase satisfaction)
And when you understand this, then you also understand that there isn't a rule about whether first-person is more effective.

And maybe you understand why it's much more important for a hypnotist's message to align with the client's reality.
Last edited by MN_FriendlyGuy on August 18th, 2009, 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MN_FriendlyGuy
Guru
Guru

Postby zapnosis » August 18th, 2009, 6:52 am

I have played around with this a bit. The universal rule of hypnosis is that it is different for everyone and everyone has their own preferences, but allowing for that I have found:

2nd person is the most natural. For most of us it is the way we communicate with others, so the session feels like a conversation... it comes naturally to us. Use this if you expect resistance or for pretty much any mainstream hypnosis file.

1st person is basicly just suggesting a mantra to someone. Difficult to do an induction with. Very much a solo initiative for the listener, so it requires motivation on their part. Tricky, but it has its uses.

3rd person automatically includes degrees of objectification and dissociation, so this is most suitable for Dom/sub and brainwashing recordings. Easier induction than 1st person, but still tricky. Most useful when the listener is already in trance.

Alternatively, be really clever and use a combination. Fairly crude examples:

2nd person induction, leading to a 1st person mantra:
"You are now in a deep trance. Now repeat after me..."

2nd person induction, leading to 3rd person:
"You are now in a deep trance. You are a slut. You find youself thinking of yourself only as Slut. Slut will obey. Slut needs to give at least one blowjob every hour..."

Or perhaps with 2nd person in the right ear and 3rd person in the left?

There are all kinds of possibilities. Have fun...
ZAP
"Feelings, sensations that you thought was dead,
no squealing... remember that it's all in your head"
zapnosis
Mentor
Mentor

Return to General Hypnosis