Help with a subject

A place to discuss the files and hypnosis in general

Moderator: EMG

Help with a subject

Postby trekkier » November 30th, 2009, 5:04 pm

Hey all, ive been working with a friend of mine for about 2 weeks. she goes under very easily but she says its really hard to 'turn off her brain' and just open up i was wondering if you guys had any suggestions?
trekkier

Re: Help with a subject

Postby MN_FriendlyGuy » November 30th, 2009, 8:40 pm

Thanks for the grin, trekkier.

My strange sense of humor was tickled by the question you asked... I like it that you're asking hypnotists whether we have any suggestions.

This response gives two ideas to modify and then try out.

The first - quit asking her to talk while she's under. Induce trance, then bring her up and have a short conversation. Repeat - several times.

The second - incorporate physical stimulation into your inductions. For example: a light, easy, rhythmic massage of the neck or the temples.

I'd love to explain the rationale for these suggestions. But that's a conversation that's more fun face-to-face.
MN_FriendlyGuy
Guru
Guru

Postby trekkier » December 1st, 2009, 2:22 pm

71 views and only 1 response?! thanks for the response, but come on somebody else give me some advice!
trekkier

Postby zapnosis » December 1st, 2009, 3:12 pm

trekkier wrote:71 views and only 1 response?! thanks for the response, but come on somebody else give me some advice!

Hehe, you must be new to this site!

I wasn't going to give advice because I don't do hypnosis in person and I'm not really qualified. Therefore the best advice I can give is to get her to listen to some low frequency brainwave beats 3 to 6Hz or something. If you focus on a heavy pulse, it slows the mind. There used to be a program around called brainwave generator (free to try) that could help you do this. I have no idea if this will really help at all, but you asked...
"Feelings, sensations that you thought was dead,
no squealing... remember that it's all in your head"
zapnosis
Mentor
Mentor

Postby trekkier » December 1st, 2009, 8:52 pm

haha yeah im pretty new, thanks! ill have to check that out
trekkier

Re: Help with a subject

Postby FloridaPuppy » December 8th, 2009, 9:07 am

trekkier wrote:Hey all, ive been working with a friend of mine for about 2 weeks. she goes under very easily but she says its really hard to 'turn off her brain' and just open up i was wondering if you guys had any suggestions?

A lot of people expect that their brain will shut down to the point of being in some dreamless state of mental nonexistance when in trance. Others expect that it will be similar with them keeping tabs on their body as a third party observer. It's more like letting the hypnotist hop a mental fence and convince your mind to flip switches and twist dials though; you might be completely aware, or your mind might just not bother noticing.

Getting them passed the point where the subject thinks they need to "turn their brain off" will help considerably, there is nothing wrong with having a wandering mind. You can even use that wandering to help bring them deeper into trance. Set them down by a nice relaxing stream, just a few clouds in the sky, with a nice big oak tree to shade where they are laying in that soft grass. Get them to visualize each blade of grass around them, to think about the sounds of the stream and various birds; maybe even a cicadia(sp?) up in the tree somewhere. Have them feel the warmth of the sun filtering down through the tree on their skin, even the way a nice cool (or warm if your someplace cold) breeze makes them all sway. The way the breeze makes that tree sway and rustle... so on and so forth. Even things like a trail of ants carrying a leaf, a butterfly flitting about on some nearby flowers, or any other kind of life are possible; maybe it comes and settles down on/beside the subject or you have the subject explain what the ants do. You can go very far into details with that sort of thing, and can mix the various senses (visual, tactile, auditory, smell, even taste) constantly to keep their mind occupied.

There are lots of ways of doing that sort of thing, but a nice happy tree with some grass and a pleasant stream has the benefit of easily meshing with almost anything you plan to do later in the trance. There is no need to try to set things too soon, but it's a simple matter to mention the smell of leather, a noise, something in the distance, etc. Almost anything can be added to a nice spot by a river without problems, maybe someone left it, maybe they brought it with them, maybe you put it there, etc.

It's tough for people to give better suggestions without knowing what you intend to do with the subject and what sort of relationship you have with the subject. Things that are perfect for a friend can be inappropriate for a friend, things that are fine for a friend can be inappropriate for family, things that are fine for family can be wildly inappropriate for a client.
FloridaPuppy
Mentor
Mentor

Postby iamli3 » January 24th, 2010, 11:44 pm

^
l
if that idea for an indunction , walking along side a streem and all (not the sitting down and stoping though) , can't instantly (well ok not even close to instantly) put me in an actual deep trance then nothing will , i think that might be just what i need.........
iamli3
Mentor
Mentor

Return to General Hypnosis