Memory Issues

A place to discuss the files and hypnosis in general

Moderator: EMG

Memory Issues

Postby sanapet » April 14th, 2010, 3:59 pm

I was just curious, I have a horrible short-term memory. I literaly have to keep a daily journal or I won't remember things I need to do from day to day. I'm curious if this could have a negative effect on trying to follow suggestion given in trance?
sanapet

Re: Memory Issues

Postby MN_FriendlyGuy » April 14th, 2010, 5:23 pm

I hope it's a nice journal, sanapet. Something that has a distinctive appearance and that you're proud to take it along as you go about daily life. Just like you, I take a planner with me, wherever I go. It's got a nice black-leather binder that I like very much.

More than that, I hope you're proud of your handwriting. When an idea is important enough to write out - it's important that it's legible; for later; when you need it.... Clear writing with good contrast - dark writing on a light-colored page.

You've asked about the importance of short-term memory on trance. And I'm glad to give an answer.

It all depends on you.

- If the trance makes you feel something - any kind of feeling;
    - If the trance makes you remember something - even things from long ago;
    - If the trance makes you desire something - as selfish as you dare to be;
Then short-term memory is unimportant.

Short-term memory becomes unimportant because the feelings; the memories; the desires... they will shape your actions. They will shape your actions even if you don't remember why.

So it all depends on you to discover which trances make you feel; make you remember; make you desire.

And the importance of short-term memory? It's like a hunch. A person can have a hunch about something.

And I bet you know what that's like... the hunch that you should check your journal.

Hoping to find what you need, clearly written
MN_FriendlyGuy
Guru
Guru

Postby cardigan » April 15th, 2010, 4:50 am

I would like to add, that hypnotherapy can actually help you become better at having use of your short-term memory. Your subconscious might actually be blocking your short-term memory - for your own protection. Its most important task is to protect you from danger - real or imagined.

It's been seen before that if the subconscious mind thinks you are better off not remembering something bad that once happened, then it will make you forget. Sometimes this leads to forgetfulness in general - not just to the danger in focus at that time. I've had clients like that, whom I've helped restore their memories.

This might not be true in your case - I just thought I'd mention it, though.

Cardigan
Certified hypnotist C.I., C.H.
http://milnet.dk
cardigan
Guru
Guru

Postby thatdude1 » April 15th, 2010, 5:47 am

i've also got short term memory problems, and to be honest it seems to have strengthened my memory if anything.
thatdude1

Postby sanapet » April 15th, 2010, 3:52 pm

Thank you for all your help.

-grins- yeah I know exactly what it's like to think 'now I know I'm forgetting to do something, I'd better go check my journal' lol.

-shrugs- I think my handwriting is okay and I usually use a black ink pen, my journal has a really soft yellow coloring for it's pages, I find plain white to be unsettling day after day. But it's legible to me and if I need to write something for someone else I usually type it up. I'm just more comfortable that way.

Which come to think about it, spending so much time at a computer might be why I prefer something besides white for my journal. Thank you all again for the help, I'll be sure to experiment with different types of trance.

Hmmmm, that's really interesting Cardigan. I've always had problems remembering things but it did get worse for awhile just after I moved away from home until I started carrying a journal then it sort of leveled off. Very interesting indeed.

Thanks again,
Sanapet
sanapet

Postby livelonger8 » April 29th, 2010, 9:41 pm

thatdude1 wrote:i've also got short term memory problems, and to be honest it seems to have strengthened my memory if anything.

The lack of access to STM has expanded your access to long term memory?
livelonger8
Mentor
Mentor

Return to General Hypnosis