Random Question - Can the deaf be hypnotized?

A place to discuss the files and hypnosis in general

Moderator: EMG

Random Question - Can the deaf be hypnotized?

Postby phobos512 » August 17th, 2005, 9:58 pm

Just something random that popped into my head just now...I was wondering if someone who is deaf can be hypnotized? Clearly you wouldn't be able to do it aurally but what other methods could be used? And how could you do things like posthypnotic suggestions? Anyone have personal experience with this? Thanks :)
phobos512

Re: Random Question - Can the deaf be hypnotized?

Postby EMG » August 17th, 2005, 11:41 pm

While I have not done it(nor do I have the skills) I have heard that it can be done.

phobos512 wrote:Just something random that popped into my head just now...I was wondering if someone who is deaf can be hypnotized? Clearly you wouldn't be able to do it aurally but what other methods could be used? And how could you do things like posthypnotic suggestions? Anyone have personal experience with this? Thanks :)
EMG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby cardigan » August 18th, 2005, 3:08 am

Certain hypnotists on the web (for instance adult.hypnoticwishes.com) boast hypnosis via Messenger or the likes. They simply write back and forth, I think.

I have no experience myself in hypnosis via text, but would imagine that it was possible. It might be safe to guess that the other senses are more susceptible to a deaf person. In other words - it might be easier to hypnotise a deaf person by writing, than it would be with a hearing person?
Certified hypnotist C.I., C.H.
http://milnet.dk
cardigan
Guru
Guru

Postby MikeWulf » August 18th, 2005, 12:19 pm

I had never been hypnotised until someone did it with text. There are still many other ways aswel. One man, managed to perfect the art of hypnotisim via a handshake. Some other ways are gentle taps on the persons body and simple things like, a swinging watch ;)
MikeWulf
Mentor
Mentor

Postby cardigan » August 18th, 2005, 12:35 pm

The simple methods that you mention - a handshake or a swinging watch are always accompanied by induction or deepening - mostly done vocally. The handshake method is a physical variation of the confusion technique - as far as I've heard. You stimulate several points of the hand, fingers etc. almost at once - giving them an overload of stimuli. This takes them by surprise. At this stage they readily accept the "sleep"-command. Quite a lot of the quick inductions, that are used on stage involve taking the subject by surprise, and then saying sleep at the right time.

The coolest form of hypnosis, IMHO, is the Milton Erickson or NLP method, where you use different language patterns in a seemingly innocent conversation. Ericksson would tell his subjects an innocent anecdote, and at some point the subject would be in trance - taken completely by surprise.

P.S.: I'm not an NLP practitioner myself, but would like to be! :wink:
Certified hypnotist C.I., C.H.
http://milnet.dk
cardigan
Guru
Guru

Return to General Hypnosis