Biofeedback

A place to discuss the files and hypnosis in general

Moderator: EMG

Biofeedback

Postby AlphaShepherd » December 20th, 2010, 2:52 pm

"As far as biofeedback machines go, I think this is the worst application I've ever seen. I would assume that extended use would cause you to slowly condition yourself to keep your brainwaves at a low frequency, probably impeding concentration and cognition."

[url]http://www.harcoslabs.com/mostpainful.html[/url]

A godsend for bimbos and dumb jocks types? Irresponsible? Just a novelty with no application? Discuss.
AlphaShepherd
Regular
Regular

Postby sfhole2stretch » December 21st, 2010, 12:40 pm

Stupid.
sfhole2stretch
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Biofeedback

Postby Liann » December 21st, 2010, 1:36 pm

Jekket wrote:"As far as biofeedback machines go, I think this is the worst application I've ever seen. I would assume that extended use would cause you to slowly condition yourself to keep your brainwaves at a low frequency, probably impeding concentration and cognition."

http://www.harcoslabs.com/mostpainful.html

A godsend for bimbos and dumb jocks types? Irresponsible? Just a novelty with no application? Discuss.

The recording area for brain waves is the temporal lobes. The temporal lobes are the seat of muscular control. The slightest ripples of flexing of the muscles causes imperceptible spasms which burn a few calories, which in turn releases some heat, which stabilizes the body temperature measured under the tongue as 98.6 degrees fahrenheit. The colder you get the more the muscles spasm until you get outright shivering, and clenching reflex called goose-bumps.

A peaceful body and peaceful mind does not need so much jerking off.
Liann
Mentor
Mentor

Postby autumnheart » February 2nd, 2011, 6:43 pm

While the theory of biofeedback is somewhat sound, its application in medicine and effecting people hasn't been substantiated. Biofeedback should gain greater acceptance if researchers can demonstrate that it complements traditional treatments (like physical therapy), achieves comparable or superior efficacy, is more cost effective, and enjoys a better side effect profile.

But currently if someone is trying to sell you biofeedback they are selling you snake oil.

Oh and if you didn't know who these SMBC guys are, they are the one behind Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal comics and other smart funny projects. This is joke.

And as for brain waves, seeing as the limits of our technology and understanding of them can only discern from several brain states, we really have no idea what these states actually are, what feeds into them and what meaningful information can be gained form them. They just are a measure of overall brain activity, not a qualitative measure of whats actually happening.
autumnheart

Return to General Hypnosis