Problem breathing when going into trance

A place to discuss the files and hypnosis in general

Moderator: EMG

Problem breathing when going into trance

Postby redbaby » September 21st, 2005, 10:21 am

I'm new to all this and have been using neuro programmer 2 but as i feel myself going into a trance my breathing becomes very shalow or even stops completely. When I realise this I panic a bit and come out of the trance again. I'm wondering if anyone else has ever experienced this and if so do they know anyway of stopping it happening. I've been lying flat on my back while doing it and though perhaps sitting up a little may help but any other advice would be very appreciated.
redbaby

Postby loony28 » September 21st, 2005, 12:02 pm

:twisted: Shallow breathing is normal when going into trance with some people. I've had shallow breathing and breathing has stopped but the thing to remember is don't panic. Your mind isn't going to let you stop breathing for long. Remember to that time seems distorted while going into and while in trance so you may just be breathing regularly but you perceive that your breathing is shallow or stopped. Again I say don't panic, it's normal and your mind won't let you stop breathing for very long. :twisted:
loony28
Guru
Guru

Postby Dustpuppy » September 21st, 2005, 11:21 pm

I've had that panic gasp happen while laying flat too. Like you said, sitting up a bit seemed to help, may also try putting a pillow under your feet, and throwing down another rug or extra blankets if you are laying on the floor to put some cushion between you. Make sure your shirt doesn't constrict you anywhere when you lay down, and that whatever your head is on allows you to relax without putting your head too far back or your chin too far forwards. Im very new, but imagining the word 'breathe' suspended above my head and practicing regular in and out breaths while listening seems to have helped some already, too. Try to find a rythm in the background and tune your breathing to it. Try interlacing your fingers on your chest, so you can feel the rise and fall with your hands. Nasal congestion can make you breathe through your mouth and cause irregular breathing (I think I read that somewhere, I am not a doctor) so try to clean out as much as you can beforehand. Also try turning the thermostat down, and if you have a fan going, try not to have it pointing directly at your face.
I am definately not an expert, these were just problems I have encountered and what I have tried.
Dustpuppy

Postby redbaby » September 22nd, 2005, 8:22 am

I think whats happening is that my chest is going numb to the point that I can't feel myself breathing but now that I've realised that I haven't been panicking. Thanks for the help guys.
redbaby

Postby MikeWulf » September 23rd, 2005, 1:45 am

I used to have breathing trouble in trances...I just trained myself with concentrating on my breathing for a while and now it is no problem...
MikeWulf
Mentor
Mentor

Postby junko » October 4th, 2005, 9:50 am

I had breathing troubles when trying to sleep and went to the hospital but they couldn´t find anything. I also started to panic but since I ´ve discovered that staying calm helps I´ve got less troubles with it. My doctor said valerian would help but I´m not sure about it. Just try it out.
junko

Postby LordBucket » October 5th, 2005, 9:42 am

Try adding something along these lines to your induction:

"My body absorbs oxygen directly through my skin. It does not matter if I don't breathe, as long as I have exposed skin, I will be able to breathe normally."
LordBucket

Return to General Hypnosis