neurology and hypnosis?

A place to discuss the files and hypnosis in general

Moderator: EMG

neurology and hypnosis?

Postby kobak » April 19th, 2005, 9:34 pm

i've been attempting hypnosis with EMG's files here for about a month or so now. i've had trouble getting into trance--i read here about echoing EMG's words to help focus, and that really helps with focusing and getting my mind off of other things, but i don't quite fall into trance (i don't think so, at least).

now, a couple days ago, my boyfriend and i were discussing magic versus psychology and how we thought things like curses worked (or didn't) on people. in short, he made a passing comment about how maybe the subconscious would "work"/manifest/etc differently for people with a deviation from the norm in terms of neurology--specifically, those with [url=http://www.udel.edu/bkirby/asperger/aswhatisit.html]Asperger's Syndrome.[/url] my boyfriend is an Aspie, and it's very likely that i am as well.

is it possible that a difference in brain structure like that would effect one's ability to fall into trance/be hypnotized?
kobak

Postby danmalara » April 19th, 2005, 9:44 pm

I can't say for sure, but the subconsious mind plays a huge part in hypnotism.
My MIND is happy. BLANK and empty. BRAINwashing is GOOD for me.
danmalara
Mentor
Mentor

Postby loadedkaos » April 20th, 2005, 11:51 am

I htink and I may be wrong but if you can focus on one thing so that nothing around you matters and you have a near perfect subconsious you can do it. My whole life I have been dislexic so I prosses information differently but I can still focus on what hypnotist tell me.
loadedkaos
Mentor
Mentor

Postby kobak » April 21st, 2005, 9:04 pm

kaos: what do you mean by "perfect subconscious"?

i guess my question is: do neurological disorders affect the workings of the subconscious? (i mean outside of simple things like effecting attention span.) i would assume yes, at least slightly, but i'm obviously no brain surgeon. :wink:
kobak

Postby Jack » April 21st, 2005, 10:02 pm

I would say that the only real requirement for being able to be hypnotized is being alive. However, depending upon the training of whatever hypnotist you are listening to, it may be harder or easier to go into an altered state of consciousness.
Jack
Guru
Guru

Return to General Hypnosis