People who say hypnosis in certain contexts doesn't work

A place to discuss the files and hypnosis in general

Moderator: EMG

People who say hypnosis in certain contexts doesn't work

Postby Knitted » June 2nd, 2012, 12:43 pm

So.. I was curious. What is everyone's opinion of people who basically discount hypnosis in any context other than real life... I've seen so many proclaimed hypnotists say that the only way one can be hypnotized is irl as it requires feedback and physical presence. And they basically say that hypnosis online(such as chat or files or voice) is just placebo.

But then again.. .isn't all hypnosis just placebo in the end?

Anyway I was curious about people's opinions here.
Knitted

Postby Jeshi » June 2nd, 2012, 9:45 pm

Hypnosis isn't placebo, that's not what placebo means. A placebo calms someone down because they believe something has been done. When you're in need of treatment, you probably find you have a tendency to exaggerate symptoms to yourself and others to speed up the process. If asked to rate pain on a scale of 1 to 10, most people who need treatment will say something over 6 even if it's more accurately a 4. A 8 will get more attention than a 4, will a 4 even get you treatment at all?

So when you get the placebo, you calm down, and don't need to exaggerate the symptoms anymore because you got treatment, you don't have to worry anymore. So now you can more easily admit that it's really just a 4, to yourself and to others, so it seems like the pain has gone down.

It can apply to lots of things. With sleeping pills, the idea that you've taken a sleeping pill calms you and you don't worry about falling asleep, which helps you fall asleep, so placebos make great sleeping pills (so long as you don't know you're taking a placebo.)

Then this weird thing happened where the placebo went mainstream, and people didn't understand the placebo effect, so even when told that it was a placebo people thought "yeah but placebos always work a little anyway" so they still ended up acting like they'd been treated.

Hypnosis is psychological, but that's where the connections to a placebo end. Hypnosis is used to convince people of things. A placebo convinces someone that they've been treated, but hypnosis tries to convince people as the point. You don't treat actual problems with hypnosis, like sickness or pain, it's not smart. You treat habits. Smoking, exercise, etc. You convince them through hypnosis of certain ideas to help them break the habit, and on a regular basis it can work. For some people, the idea of being hypnotized makes them more motivated.

I think hypnotherapy is pretty dubious though. A lot of hypnotherapists make outlandish impossible claims about hypnosis in order to make more money. Those people are selling snake oil and giving hypnosis a bad reputation. The psychology trick that is hypnosis can definitely help with habits, but it won't cure your cancer.

I think people who claim that hypnosis only works in person, but that anything else is "placebo" are just trying to make more money. They're probably all professionals who get more money if it's in person. Feedback can make sessions significantly better, but if someone takes the suggestion through a file then it still worked just the same. It's a psychology trick both ways, just one way it's easier. A used car salesman can more easily convince you to buy a car if they see your feedback, but advertisements in print and media still work too.
Jeshi
Guru
Guru

Postby zapnosis » July 10th, 2012, 4:47 am

Jeshi wrote:Feedback can make sessions significantly better, but if someone takes the suggestion through a file then it still worked just the same. It's a psychology trick both ways, just one way it's easier. A used car salesman can more easily convince you to buy a car if they see your feedback, but advertisements in print and media still work too.

What he said! Z
zapnosis
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ocntrl » July 12th, 2012, 1:51 pm

Yep.
Feedback helps but is not necessary.
ocntrl
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Tangy » July 14th, 2012, 8:05 pm

ocntrl wrote:Yep.
Feedback helps but is not necessary.

I will Share on this Subject Hypnosis Works form my own Examinations this way.

six month process the first Month is to learn to relax, the Second month of listing you are getting use to the Hypnotist voice the Third month you learn to releasing tension, the fourth month closing your eyes the fifth month projecting yourself into a fantasy,no matter what you hear do not open your eye until you hear the sounds around you becoming loader and loader and you feel the presence of alternate reality's, after you feel you are in the fantasy open your minds eye and you will be there be very patent please, stay claim at all times you do not have to do anything but listen and it will happen trance full trance.
hope this helps
Love tangy
Tangy
Guru
Guru

Postby slutinmyhead » July 16th, 2012, 2:14 am

The advantage to a recording, of course, is the editing. I can pull off a pretty effective live session, but there is a level of quality added by editing that definitely improves my work.
slutinmyhead
Mentor
Mentor

Postby zapnosis » July 16th, 2012, 4:16 am

Also you can add brainwave manipulation/ beats/ binaurals to files, which you can't do live!

Z
zapnosis
Mentor
Mentor

Why not?

Postby ai_es_ei » July 21st, 2012, 7:58 am

zapnosis wrote:Also you can add brainwave manipulation/ beats/ binaurals to files, which you can't do live!

Z

Hi! :)

Why couldn't a hypnotist use those in a live session? I think even other stuff like candles, incense, bubble-bath or what have you, can be used in both live and recorded sessions. The only difference seems to me is the immediate feedback. Am I missing something?

Thanks!
ai_es_ei

Postby zapnosis » July 21st, 2012, 11:34 am

Hi
Certainly feedback is not the only difference. As someone has already mentioned, recorded sessions can be edited, so that any mistakes can be corrected.

As to brainwave beats, you really need headphones to get the full effect and they would make it harder for the subject to concentrate on the hypnotist's voice... unless the hypnotist was speaking through some kind of computer with the tones in the background, in which case you would need a microphone, computer and headphones to hypnotise someone in person. OK maybe it is possible, but problematic.

Yet another difference is that a with a recording, you can listen to EXACTLY the same session over and over... which is useful for brainwashing. :)

Z
"Feelings, sensations that you thought was dead,
no squealing... remember that it's all in your head"
zapnosis
Mentor
Mentor

Return to General Hypnosis