Quicker voting cycle.

Here's a place to suggest/discuss improvements to the site.

Moderator: EMG

Quicker voting cycle.

Postby CuriousG » April 12th, 2006, 3:21 pm

If you look at the voting page, you see that all the ones at the top have been around several months, or even over a year. They've not gotten there by necessarily being more popular, but simply by being around longer. In addition, files that stay around for months at a time clutter up the voting page. An exceptional idea can easily be drowned in the dozens of others.

Both of these problems could be solved by only keeping files open for voting for a specific month. At the end of that, they could no longer be voted on and would be moved to an archived section. The winners of the monthly vote in each category of file would be clearly the most popular, and thus the ones that EMG could give the closest scrutiny to.

Objectivity and an end to clutter, how could these be bad things?
CuriousG
Mentor
Mentor

Postby OMGWTFBBQ » August 20th, 2006, 4:29 pm

QFT
OMGWTFBBQ
Regular
Regular

Re: Quicker voting cycle.

Postby EMG » August 20th, 2006, 11:15 pm

CuriousG wrote:If you look at the voting page, you see that all the ones at the top have been around several months, or even over a year. They've not gotten there by necessarily being more popular, but simply by being around longer. In addition, files that stay around for months at a time clutter up the voting page. An exceptional idea can easily be drowned in the dozens of others.

Both of these problems could be solved by only keeping files open for voting for a specific month. At the end of that, they could no longer be voted on and would be moved to an archived section. The winners of the monthly vote in each category of file would be clearly the most popular, and thus the ones that EMG could give the closest scrutiny to.

Objectivity and an end to clutter, how could these be bad things?

Hmm, an interesting concept, but one that would require work on my part to implement. As it stands, about once a month I go through and kill off files that have a low level of interest. I decide this based on the number of votes per day that a voting suggestion receives. If an item(even at the top of the list) can't maintain at least .7 votes per day then I delete it from the list. This helps allow things to cycle, now if I can just get more people to do files from the voting list for the site we'll trim it down even further :) For now I expect things will stay this way, but I may reconsider when I have more time.
EMG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AWA » August 26th, 2006, 4:07 pm

How about, once a file gets a specific amount of votes, say, 500, it is automatically moved to a secret page for EMG to work on? Basically, this page would have all the files the have 500+ votes, and EMG, as webmaster, could see which files are very popular.
AWA
Regular
Regular

Return to Site Improvements