Glossary?

Here's a place to suggest/discuss improvements to the site.

Moderator: EMG

Glossary?

Postby Patch_Winter » August 17th, 2007, 9:00 pm

There are lots of threads from people who are trying to get into hypnosis just asking how they get started, and what they need to go into trance and try and take suggestions for the first time. Often, when people tell them it all starts with an induction, they go "well, what's an induction, how do I get one? Then what do I do?" Ofcourse after they're told that they need a recorded body they don't know what that is... and so on.

I say that there should be a glossary somewhere that describes a few basic terms that are used commonly on here that might not be legible to new folks, a little page that explains certain terms and their functions.

A few I can think of right now: "'tist", "induction", "body", "file", "script", "subliminal", "binaural".

Related suggestions?

EDIT: Maybe put these in the FAQ-section under "what is a..." or something? Maybe make FAQ-link more visible?
Patch_Winter
Regular
Regular

Re: Glossary?

Postby EMG » August 23rd, 2007, 4:00 pm

It's probably not a bad idea at all, the FAQ definitely needs a lot of work. Does anyone have any more suggestions for the FAQ and should I change FAQ to Help and if so would that be more clear?

Patch_Winter wrote:There are lots of threads from people who are trying to get into hypnosis just asking how they get started, and what they need to go into trance and try and take suggestions for the first time. Often, when people tell them it all starts with an induction, they go "well, what's an induction, how do I get one? Then what do I do?" Ofcourse after they're told that they need a recorded body they don't know what that is... and so on.

I say that there should be a glossary somewhere that describes a few basic terms that are used commonly on here that might not be legible to new folks, a little page that explains certain terms and their functions.

A few I can think of right now: "'tist", "induction", "body", "file", "script", "subliminal", "binaural".

Related suggestions?

EDIT: Maybe put these in the FAQ-section under "what is a..." or something? Maybe make FAQ-link more visible?
EMG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby GColeman99 » September 3rd, 2007, 2:22 am

I say DON'T change the name of the FAQ. It's now become such a well known term that it should be left. Also, if you haven't already, when you send out the "welcoming" e-mail, let people know that there IS a FAQ, and they should look at it if they're new to hypnosis.

One thing you should probably mention is that you need to to right click on the file name itself to download it. Took me about 10 minutes to figure that out when I first joined and I only found out after I asked in the chatroom.

The FAQ is pretty informative as it is, though I do think a glossary would be very helpful, and would probably cut down on those kinds of questions in the chatroom (though I don't really mind answering them, as others in there might have the same questions, but just haven't asked). You might want to mention that there are usually a couple of people that are in the chatroom willing to help those with questions.

One more thing that would be very helpful (to me, at any rate) is a way to differentiate whether the user is a male or female when their profile is clicked. Also, for those that do want privacy, or for their gender to not be revealed to all, that could be an option, as well.

EMG wrote:It's probably not a bad idea at all, the FAQ definitely needs a lot of work. Does anyone have any more suggestions for the FAQ and should I change FAQ to Help and if so would that be more clear?

Patch_Winter wrote:There are lots of threads from people who are trying to get into hypnosis just asking how they get started, and what they need to go into trance and try and take suggestions for the first time. Often, when people tell them it all starts with an induction, they go "well, what's an induction, how do I get one? Then what do I do?" Ofcourse after they're told that they need a recorded body they don't know what that is... and so on.

Related suggestions?

Last edited by GColeman99 on September 3rd, 2007, 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GColeman99
Regular
Regular

Postby EMG » September 3rd, 2007, 2:39 pm

Those are some VERY good ideas. I will probably do all of them(at some point, time permitting). Thanks. Now I just need to find a good web designer to rework the site :)

GColeman99 wrote:I say DON'T change the name of the FAQ. It's now become such a well known term that it should be left. Also, if you haven't already, when you send out the "welcoming" e-mail, let people know that there IS a FAQ, and they should look at it if they're new to hypnosis.

One thing you should probably mention is that you need to to right click on the file name itself to download it. Took me about 10 minutes to figure that out when I first joined and I only found out after I asked in the chatroom.

The FAQ is pretty informative as it is, though I do think a glossary would be very helpful, and would probably cut down on those kinds of questions in the chatroom (though I don't really mind answering them, as others in there might have the same questions, but just haven't asked). You might want to mention that there are usually a couple of people that are in the chatroom willing to help those with questions.

One more thing that would be very helpful (to me, at any rate) is a way to differentiate whether the user is a male or female when their profile is clicked. Also, for those that do want privacy, or not for their gender to not be revealed, the could be an option for that, as well.
EMG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Site Improvements