Chat feature

Here's a place to suggest/discuss improvements to the site.

Moderator: EMG

Chat feature

Postby BobbyS » January 4th, 2008, 4:45 pm

What's going on with the Chat feature? Just started using it for the first time in ages a couple of days ago and all through today it just won't load! It says "Undefined String" twice (which it always does if I'm honest), but then won't go any further.
No blabbing about looking up Ident or Hostname, nothing. Nada.

Anyone else had this problem?
BobbyS
Guru
Guru

Postby lorcain » January 4th, 2008, 7:35 pm

There was a problem with the server or something yesterday, people kept getting disconnected and couldn't get back on, but it was fine today.
lorcain
Regular
Regular

Postby EMG » January 4th, 2008, 7:54 pm

Good to hear it's behaving again, I hope to add voice chat features later this year. We'll see when that happens.

lorcain wrote:There was a problem with the server or something yesterday, people kept getting disconnected and couldn't get back on, but it was fine today.
EMG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby tecywiz121 » January 4th, 2008, 11:28 pm

That would be really cool!
tecywiz121
Mentor
Mentor

Postby EMG » January 5th, 2008, 3:19 am

I tend to agree, I'd love to add video chat too, but that's probably going to be outside of my price range. Audio can be done, just have to find the time.

tecywiz121 wrote:That would be really cool!
EMG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby hellion0 » January 5th, 2008, 8:41 am

Audio chat could be done, but if so, you'd have to look into using a protocol other than IRC for the chat.
"One should strive to achieve; not sit in bitter regret."
hellion0
Regular
Regular

Postby EMG » January 5th, 2008, 10:51 am

Yeah, I know, I've looked at 2 or 3 sites that offer it as a service. I'd like to do it and then host a weekly trance session where a subject is chosen and those interested can connect in and listen. We'll see, as I said, my biggest obstacle is time.

hellion0 wrote:Audio chat could be done, but if so, you'd have to look into using a protocol other than IRC for the chat.
EMG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Wildsprite » January 31st, 2008, 8:45 pm

if you have a regular IRC client(mIRC, xchat, icechat etc...) you can join with this info
server: 65.6.176.82
port 6667

I'm also considering TeamSpeak on the same box, I know its not the web solution many of you want but it is voice, let me know what you all think
Wildsprite
Mentor
Mentor

Postby notyou » February 2nd, 2008, 12:36 am

I've used Teamspeak before with some success. They also offer Linux clients which is a nice plus. The version I used didn't do video, and I don't know if that has changed.

Other people in the community have recommended Paltalk, which is windows only but runs under wine in Linux and darwine in Mac.

Doesn't Skype do video as well as audio?
notyou
Regular
Regular

Postby Wildsprite » February 2nd, 2008, 12:51 am

notyou wrote:I've used Teamspeak before with some success. They also offer Linux clients which is a nice plus. The version I used didn't do video, and I don't know if that has changed.

Other people in the community have recommended Paltalk, which is windows only but runs under wine in Linux and darwine in Mac.

not sure, but I did pick teamspeak due to the fact that its free and doesn't have limits to the amount of users so more or less its up to what my connection can handle
Peace of Mind Is a Blanket That Purrs
When you look at me, tell me what do you see??this is what you get its the way I am - Holly Valance
Wildsprite
Mentor
Mentor

Postby SDoll » February 2nd, 2008, 1:03 am

notyou wrote:I've used Teamspeak before with some success. They also offer Linux clients which is a nice plus. The version I used didn't do video, and I don't know if that has changed.

And skype is on the psp now!! lol :lol:
SDoll
Mentor
Mentor

Return to Site Improvements