Journals messed up.

Here's a place to suggest/discuss improvements to the site.

Moderator: EMG

Journals messed up.

Postby Cade » May 17th, 2009, 11:27 am

I usually like to read the newly updated journals when i first sign on WMM almost every day. but today the "top 20 most recent" is down for some unknown reason.

it currently displays the regular journal directory. with the first journal updated back in 2005. please fix this, im rather curious what the new journals might say.

(and yes i tried clicking to go to the 20 most recent journals and it just brought me back to the directory)
Cade
Regular
Regular

Re: Journals messed up.

Postby EMG » May 17th, 2009, 12:48 pm

Sounds like one of a dozen little bugs that crept in when I moved to our new host. I will add it to the list and hope to work on it today and tomorrow.

Cade wrote:I usually like to read the newly updated journals when i first sign on WMM almost every day. but today the "top 20 most recent" is down for some unknown reason.

it currently displays the regular journal directory. with the first journal updated back in 2005. please fix this, im rather curious what the new journals might say.

(and yes i tried clicking to go to the 20 most recent journals and it just brought me back to the directory)
EMG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby davelowe1977 » May 17th, 2009, 4:21 pm

While you are at it, can you recover some of my posts from the original sql database and add them to the new one. I wrote several long replies to a new member that have since disappeared.

A quick scour and edit of the sql removing all entries "DUMP IF EXISTS" should cure it.

Failing that, email me the file and I will recover my own messages!

Did you give warning of the site downtime? I didn't spot anything. It was a little annoying to find the site off line last night (BST), followed by inbox messages repeated.

Next time you migrate servers let me know about it please - I might be able to help!
davelowe1977
Mentor
Mentor

Postby EMG » May 17th, 2009, 7:31 pm

I'm not sure I will be able to get them back but I will check my backup.

Sadly, the changeover was NOT handled well by my host. The original plan was they move everything. I verify it's working, they change IP's and we move on with life.

Somewhere along the line they bolloxed it. Everything got moved and they shut down the old server before I could test anything. I spent 5 hours(1-5 AM) fixing everything I could on 4 different websites.

Today I have people in the house, but I plan to spend tomorrow fixing everything that broke. When I do I will see if I can find your lost posts. When were they made?

davelowe1977 wrote:While you are at it, can you recover some of my posts from the original sql database and add them to the new one. I wrote several long replies to a new member that have since disappeared.

A quick scour and edit of the sql removing all entries "DUMP IF EXISTS" should cure it.

Did you give warning of the site downtime? I didn't spot anything. It was a little annoying to find the site off line last night (BST), followed by inbox messages repeated.

Next time you migrate servers let me know about it please - I might be able to help!
EMG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby davelowe1977 » May 18th, 2009, 8:22 am

EMG wrote:I'm not sure I will be able to get them back but I will check my backup.

Sadly, the changeover was NOT handled well by my host. The original plan was they move everything. I verify it's working, they change IP's and we move on with life.

Somewhere along the line they bolloxed it. Everything got moved and they shut down the old server before I could test anything. I spent 5 hours(1-5 AM) fixing everything I could on 4 different websites.

Today I have people in the house, but I plan to spend tomorrow fixing everything that broke. When I do I will see if I can find your lost posts. When were they made?

davelowe1977 wrote:While you are at it, can you recover some of my posts from the original sql database and add them to the new one. I wrote several long replies to a new member that have since disappeared.

Sorry to hear that your IT people screwed you over. I apologise for the terseness in my last post - especially since you worked through the night to get everything back in order.

To answer your question, my posts were made Saturday between 2-5pm BST.
davelowe1977
Mentor
Mentor

Chat issues

Postby hotnsexylauren » May 18th, 2009, 12:16 pm

Not sure if this is a problem for anyone but me, but the chat feature seems to be malfunctioning as well. Just pops up unidentified string twice and stops. Any ideas?
hotnsexylauren

Re: Chat issues

Postby thephantom » May 18th, 2009, 5:35 pm

hotnsexylauren wrote:Not sure if this is a problem for anyone but me, but the chat feature seems to be malfunctioning as well. Just pops up unidentified string twice and stops. Any ideas?

it's one thing that also didn't went well, EMG know the problem and he will fix it when he get a chance

Meanwhile, you could use a real irc client.
* icechat ( http://www.icechat.net/ ), free
* mirc ( http://www.mirc.com/ ) not free, 30 days demo, start delay after that periode
* xchat ( http://www.xchat.org/windows/ ) not free, 30 days demo, see the unofficial one bellow
* or the unofficial, free version of xchat ( http://www.silverex.org/download/ )

and point it to wishes.no-ip.org port 6667
thephantom
Regular
Regular

Postby MacGyver » May 19th, 2009, 1:28 pm

yeah, my journal is a bit messed up, even a new entry just vanished after posting, but, i have faith that EMG will be able to take care of the problem.
MacGyver
Guru
Guru

Postby EMG » May 19th, 2009, 5:27 pm

Drat, looks like I have more work to do on the Journal. I'll go after that tomorrow.

As a note, I will also work on the chat function but I am having troubles with pirc. If anyone knows much about it(or another irc client for websites). Please drop me a note.

MacGyver wrote:yeah, my journal is a bit messed up, even a new entry just vanished after posting, but, i have faith that EMG will be able to take care of the problem.
EMG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby thephantom » May 20th, 2009, 3:20 pm

EMG wrote:
As a note, I will also work on the chat function but I am having troubles with pirc. If anyone knows much about it(or another irc client for websites). Please drop me a note.

Sadly, most java client suck hard...
but the current brokeage of it is not it itself, but the dns

irc.warpmymind.com is undefined in your nameserver
if you have access to the bind host file...
irc.warpmymind.com. 10800 IN CNAME wishes.no-ip.org.
thephantom
Regular
Regular

Postby EMG » May 20th, 2009, 9:43 pm

That doesn't solve all my problems, but I have updated the bind host file. I knew you'd know that one. Thanks.

thephantom wrote:
EMG wrote:

Sadly, most java client suck hard...
but the current brokeage of it is not it itself, but the dns

irc.warpmymind.com is undefined in your nameserver
if you have access to the bind host file...
irc.warpmymind.com. 10800 IN CNAME wishes.no-ip.org.
EMG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Site Improvements