Finding Forum Posts.

Here's a place to suggest/discuss improvements to the site.

Moderator: EMG

Finding Forum Posts.

Postby sarnoga » February 6th, 2011, 9:05 pm

I have a suggestion that I feel would improve the forums and make them easier to use and thus more useful and pleasant to use, at least for me.

When I visit the forums, I usually click on the option for "View All Posts Since Last Visit."

It seems to work fine, and for me it is by far the easiest way to come in and read new threads or older threads that have recently been updated with a new post.

The problem is that I am clumsy, sometimes disorganized, and occasionally have software problems or just run out of time. At one time or another all of those things or any of those things have caused me to leave the forum before I have read all the new posts, or sometimes after reading them but before responding to one or another that I wanted to respond to.

So maybe I just close my browser accidentally before I am finished and have to log back on. Maybe its another reason. The result is the same.

I come back and click on "View posts since last visit" and I get nothing. Why, because my dumb ass was just there two minutes ago. Or maybe I log on later and I get a list, but it is without those posts or threads I missed last time I was in.

I have two choises, I can sigh and forget about it. Maybe they will turn up later. Or, I can go in and open each forum seperately and look for what I want. Either of those is a pain in the ass and I don't like those two choises. I would like a third choice.

I would like to see another option similar to.... "View posts since last visit" One that can be customized. The forums are already searchable, but searching by date is not available. I would like to see an option that is....

"View posts in the last _____.

With a spot to fill in the time frame that you are looking for. Maybe a drop down list of choices. Your choices might be....

10 minutes.
30 minutes.
1 hour.
2 hours.
4 hours.
8 hours.
12 hours.
1 day.
2 days.
3 days.
4 days.
1 week.
2 weeks.
3 weeks.
1 month.

Or maybe there is a blank to type in a number and a drop down list to choose whether the number you type is minutes, hours, days, weeks, months or years.

Of course there may be other functional equivalents. I think that should make it clear what I am asking for or suggesting.

Would anyone else out there find this useful? Or am I the only one that would use that?

Regards,

Sarnoga.
sarnoga
Guru
Guru

Postby ohyouknow » February 8th, 2011, 7:32 am

I would definitely find that useful. It is frustrating to log on to browse files and then remembering I have to read all new posts if I don't want to miss them. The next time I log on the 'new posts' will only be the ones made between now and then.
ohyouknow
Regular
Regular

Return to Site Improvements