Possible idea to expand buyers

Here's a place to suggest/discuss improvements to the site.

Moderator: EMG

Possible idea to expand buyers

Postby 5HA99Y » September 2nd, 2012, 4:35 pm

Hi i thought of another idea but im not sure if anyone done this but it a way to expand buyers. I thought we could put up some mp3 file up on itunes so that this site could get more buyers and people could get them on iphones/ipods/ipads and be on the go if we dont have a computer with us when we are on a trip or something? I would be willing to buy if this was possible
5HA99Y
Mentor
Mentor

Postby sfhole2stretch » September 2nd, 2012, 5:32 pm

No real need for that. I-tunes immediately picks up all the files I've downloaded and catalogs them. My files are all already on the go. Anyone can do it with a computer and I-tunes or the Xsoft or Android equivalent.
sfhole2stretch
Mentor
Mentor

Postby EMG » September 2nd, 2012, 6:06 pm

you have answered it partially, putting the files on itunes would allow people to purchase through apple and might increase demand. I've considered it but can't see apple approving "curse forced gay" or 90% of what's on WMM.
EMG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby 5HA99Y » September 2nd, 2012, 6:19 pm

Oh that true bummer i thought that might be a good idea it would make it easier for me to buy the mp3. How about a podcast or an app ? Would those be possible?[/img]
5HA99Y
Mentor
Mentor

Postby pennyf » September 2nd, 2012, 7:24 pm

A problem I have is that any transactions would appear on my cc statement as Hypno Enterprises. That has stopped me from purchasing from this site. If it was somethink a little more innocuous like EMG publishing or something like that I'd have no issues.
pennyf

Postby EMG » September 2nd, 2012, 11:52 pm

I'll see what I can find out as additional distribution channels are not a bad thing.

devin2890 wrote:Oh that true bummer i thought that might be a good idea it would make it easier for me to buy the mp3. How about a podcast or an app ? Would those be possible?
EMG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby EMG » September 2nd, 2012, 11:54 pm

That's unlikely to change any time soon, one solution is to get a gift card and purchase with it although not all gift cards work with our processor and no I cannot say which ones do and which ones don't.

pennyf wrote:A problem I have is that any transactions would appear on my cc statement as Hypno Enterprises. That has stopped me from purchasing from this site. If it was somethink a little more innocuous like EMG publishing or something like that I'd have no issues.
EMG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby boomsmee » December 7th, 2012, 10:29 pm

You consider taking bitcoins?
boomsmee
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ray49 » December 10th, 2012, 3:05 pm

I'd buy with bitcoins. I used them on other sites. They are truly anonymous and involve much smaller fees on either end compared to any other processor.
ray49

Postby KIY » December 10th, 2012, 8:49 pm

It seems I am out of touch (not too surprising, considering the distractions going on around here): I don't believe I have ever even heard of bitcoins. What are they?

(My computer's spellchecker apparently hasn't heard of bitcoins either, for whatever that is worth.)
KIY
Mentor
Mentor

Postby EMG » December 11th, 2012, 12:07 am

I have considered bitcoins but they create their own issues, but I will check a little more.

Heck, I have even considered building my own online currency :)
EMG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Mandrache » May 15th, 2013, 1:36 pm

Being able to sort files by price might improve sales as the list of files payfiles is quite long now. People not wanting to spend lots of money aren't likely to want to spend lots of time browsing payfiles.
Mandrache
Regular
Regular

Postby jands » August 17th, 2013, 6:46 am

boomsmee wrote:You consider taking bitcoins?

ray49 wrote:I'd buy with bitcoins. I used them on other sites. They are truly anonymous and involve much smaller fees on either end compared to any other processor.

OK. The main issue with bitcoins is the added complexity in processing the transactions. There are a few problems that would need to be overcome before bitcoins became a viable option:

1: We would need a way to cash them out into USD and into the Hypno Enterprises bank account as quickly as is reasonably possible. We can't be in the business of holding onto piles of bitcoins. Small businesses live and breathe on Net30 terms and the hosting provider, payfile authors, etc don't accept bitcoin.

2: We'd need to modify the payment system to accept bitcoins. This is fine except that the time involved may well value at more than the value of clearable bitcoin transactions. A major videogame developer recently ran into this problem where the number of users using bitcoins were so low that it cost them more than it made them.

3: Conversion rates. Obviously the value of bitcoin floats against the dollar. When a credit card transaction is made, there is a guarantee made by the banks when foreign currencies are in use that we'll get that amount minus the card processing fees. With bitcoin, there's no protection from volatility. This ties back into point #1, we would need to clear transactions fairly quickly (within 24 hours) to mitigate the risk of the value of bitcoin rapidly changing.

As a side note, bitcoins are not truly anonymous. The blockchain contains a complete transaction register that can be publicly audited.

If someone had any suggestions on how to overcome these issues, I think it would be a viable option for people looking to make purchases with a certain amount of partial anonymity.

The key here is that WMM absolutely cannot be holding piles of bitcoins for extended periods of time. They should be able to be cashed out (preferably automatically) as quickly as possible... certainly within 24 hours.
jands
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Site Improvements