better web chat - need logs as evidence

Here's a place to suggest/discuss improvements to the site.

Moderator: EMG

better web chat - need logs as evidence

Postby desrever » February 17th, 2014, 1:21 pm

HI,

currently we have a trend that the people that use mibbit cant provide logs in cases of abuse, since the sites built-in chat window i based on mibbit, im seeing a problem there
desrever
Regular
Regular

Postby Endo » February 17th, 2014, 3:08 pm

That's not a problem without a solution. Another site I know has Mibbit based chat, and uses a bot of sorts to maintain a log. If it's been done once, it can be done again.
Endo
Guru
Guru

Postby Frap » February 17th, 2014, 5:36 pm

Endo wrote:That's not a problem without a solution. Another site I know has Mibbit based chat, and uses a bot of sorts to maintain a log. If it's been done once, it can be done again.

We do that to but most abuse is done in a place where a bot can't log, usually in a query or in a side channel set up specifically for that tist / sub.
Frap
Regular
Regular

Postby EMG » February 17th, 2014, 10:54 pm

Ok, any suggestions for a different chat client?
EMG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby desrever » February 19th, 2014, 2:05 am

unfortunately im not aware of something ready to use yet

think the full mibbit client has an option to do log saving at least (so users could provide logs more easyly)

ideally there would be something that safes the logs into a protected database (so it cant be destroyed,
but on that department im not aware of a ready solution,
i guess it would need a few weeks of worktime to properly implement and test someying like that
desrever
Regular
Regular

Postby twich » February 19th, 2014, 5:00 pm

Just put up a little note above the mibbit client recommending people move to an IRC client that is not browser based.
twich
Regular
Regular

Postby demigraff » February 20th, 2014, 1:27 pm

I'm hacking around with a chat system for one of my sites (even though the site is down due to hosting issues, I don't like to leave a project unfinished) ... if it gets finished before you find a better alternative, I'll happily share. It's basically a "shoutbox" type website chat system, that also has an IRC interface for people who want to use their own clients. Logging on the server side turns out to be a lot simpler than a client uploading PM logs to some central repository.

The project is quite low priority right now, though ... I'm effectively bankrupt, so most of my time is spent on things that might make a little money.
demigraff
Guru
Guru

logging

Postby hermionegranger » June 12th, 2014, 12:37 pm

there are ways, hit me up if you want to know des
hermionegranger

Return to Site Improvements