Change Chat link to Discord instead of IRC?

Here's a place to suggest/discuss improvements to the site.

Moderator: EMG

Change Chat link to Discord instead of IRC?

Postby Jackstock » July 29th, 2019, 8:09 am

Is IRC still being used? Do you think it should be switched?
Seems like most people have switched to Discord as the method of choice for a chat room. Communities like Hypnosisforguys and GoonClub have switched over
Jackstock
Guru
Guru

Re: Change Chat link to Discord instead of IRC?

Postby EMG » July 29th, 2019, 7:00 pm

until I implement something else, this is probably a far better idea than anything else. There is already a discord link, but changing the chat link makes good sense. Expect it soon.
No matter where you go, there you are.
EMG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby cloudstalker » July 31st, 2019, 6:07 am

So the justtrance room is officially dead?
cloudstalker
Regular
Regular

Postby EMG » July 31st, 2019, 7:09 am

Let's see, for a good while you couldn't even get there from the site. That appears have resolved itself but now you get:

Welcome to #warpmymind, check out the rules: http://bit.ly/wmmrules | currently low traffic, please be ready to wait a while on first entering

Sounds like our traffic is low/non existent. So, what do you think, keep it alive or link to discord?
EMG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CtrlAltMe » July 31st, 2019, 12:37 pm

I'm a long time resident, as well as a moderator of the #WarpMyMind room over on the IRC.. it is alive.. people do come on and chat.. it does have quiet times, as any chatroom will.. but i vote to keep the IRC link.

Also there's more channels on that server for people to explore, if the find that the main room for WMM is too quiet.. though i always encourage asking questions and sticking around for an answer

Thats actually the biggest problem for activity I've seen there, is that far to many people join.. ask a question.. and leave.. all within the span of a minute or two.. and no one had even had a chance to respond :P

But please people, don't be afraid to stop by the chat!
IRC still matters!! ;)
CtrlAltMe

Postby EMG » July 31st, 2019, 1:41 pm

Sounds like we have varying opinions so I will leave IRC and instead have added sub menus for IRC and Discord so that both are easy to find.
EMG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CtrlAltMe » July 31st, 2019, 4:36 pm

that sounds good to me, thank you :)
CtrlAltMe

Postby cloudstalker » August 1st, 2019, 6:00 am

I have had a bunch of nice conversations with CtlAltMe in the room; not a lot of others, though.
cloudstalker
Regular
Regular

Postby Jackstock » August 1st, 2019, 6:16 am

Good helpful discussion here, glad to see a good change. it looks good on desktop but on mobile, when you click on any of those menu items, the submenu does not really come up (it flashes for a seconds) because it automatically links you to another page.
EMG, please have another look at the 'Chat' page (https://www.warpmymind.com/HTools/ChatBox) and make it show both IRC and Discord.
Mobile users now surpass desktop users, so it is important to think about them.

Now for the links page... please hire an assistant from Fiverr.com (or similar website) and ask them to go through all the links on the website to check that there are no broken links, as THESE LINKS MAY DAMAGE YOUR SEARCH INDEX SCORE. These links are quite old and if they are fixed (or deleted), search engines will be more likely to show users this website on search results. I know you could probably just do this yourself, but its going to take time and its way easier and faster to hire someone whos an expert at that. Many of these people dont cost very much.

Thanks for being willing to improve the site!
Jackstock
Guru
Guru

Postby EMG » August 1st, 2019, 8:38 am

Let's see.. Yeah, at some point I need to rebuild WMM for mobile, I know it's not easy to use there but it represents a significant effort. Still, it is in my plans.

I will add the discord link to the chat page as that's quite easy and harms nothing.

I do periodically prune the links, and I have just the person to do it(having slaves can be rather convenient for truly mind-numbing tasks). I should just build a bot to check the links regularly and email me any that fail although that can be deceiving as well.
EMG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Jackstock » August 1st, 2019, 2:27 pm

I kinda like that the mobile version is the same. Usually the mobile versions are not as good as desktop.
I like that you have someone to do it for you!
Jackstock
Guru
Guru

Postby EMG » August 2nd, 2019, 9:22 am

It's a delicate line, and I may simply invest in building a WMM Mobile app or make sure that an mobile only version of the website offers an EASY way to view the full version. Odds are both are things that won't happen soon.
EMG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby JackDrago » August 2nd, 2019, 4:04 pm

Personally I'd prioritize mobile. Warp My Mind is barely usable on a cell phone: vids won't play, forum interface is definitely desktop designed, about the only thing that does work well on a cell is downloading free / premium files and reading stories.
JackDrago
Guru
Guru

Postby EMG » August 2nd, 2019, 6:00 pm

JackDrago, what device are you viewing the site on? I have no problem viewing any of it on an iPhone and was able to play video with some pauses as well. The problem with video on WMM is we really need a video server and that's a bit outside my price range.

Or is the problem just that it views like a traditional website and thus is NOT optimized at all for phone etc.
EMG
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Jackstock » August 2nd, 2019, 7:22 pm

Skip the app, as it may be hard to get it on app stores if it's NSFW. Yeah, you can just download the apk but thats too much work for the end-user.
Forget about video for now.
I would look at other good websites on mobile and copy what they are doing.
Jackstock
Guru
Guru

Postby barls » August 20th, 2019, 9:41 pm

id be down for discord as im already on there.
barls

Return to Site Improvements